Smokes de novo

Discussion in 'Art' started by Z100000M, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

So after trying to figure out just how the smokes work and being somewhat annoyed at the fact that all the assets seem to be unused, i decided to just go ahead and make a proper godammed grenade.
    [YOUTUBE]V3EyB9gxKRk[/YOUTUBE]
    So first try ended up with me nearly choking due to the unforseen results. Some remains made the thing look pretty hilarious.
    After some downtime and lots of MtG vids i unfucked the design and made it so that it can at least be called a concept.
    [YOUTUBE]UwajN8gOIkI[/YOUTUBE]
    Has a few issues, chiefly it still fades away when you get close and is rough overall. Im not happy with the material used either, but i think that unless i suffer heavily from the "Oh shiny" it should be somewhat done tommorow.

Ive no clue why OBS made my framerate look like dogshit.

Edit: I forgot toi mute everything before making the second vid. Godamnit OBS why do you have to change the settings on me.
    Ill re record tommorow. Hopefully channel fireball wont sue me over this in the meantime.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

looks good to me... wtf is you talking about in vid!?

3. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

The current smoke grenades are so pathetic, those are a truly massive jump in quality. The current smoke particles also have a million alpha materials all over each other in overdraw:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yours look like they do the job much more efficiently. Plus the utility of having a smoke cloud that could actually obscure something. IIRC the fading as you get close was hardcoded in conjunction with the screen brownout because otherwise they were functionally just FPS killing grenades. I don't know if the smoke activation is hard coded, but it would be cool if you got a trail of smoke following the grenade as it's still in the air.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It definitely looks much more viable than the old one, but I'm still under the impression that it's a tiny particle.

5. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Very nice zoom cant wait until its finished. Finally the game will have a good smoke grenade effect now

6. Z100000M

Its not me, i had a Magic the gathering video running in the background that i forgot to mute.

Yea, ive not yet found a satisfactory way of making it grow larger. So far it likes to move a single blob which looks kinda meh.

Also, despite the movement being supposed to be random, it seems to always move in one specific direction. Annoying.

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I'd certainly also love that smoke trail suggestion. And it would be neat if the smoke would be expanding from the grenade and not just simply pop into existence.

Concerning the not random random movement: Make sure that it uses a random seed that's unique for each spawn of the particle.

8. Z100000M

So after seeing that "random" movement isnt actually so random, ive given up for the moving smoke idea for the time.
    I wanted to work on it some more, but between a random bsod (thanks firefox) and having to go to do some unplanned cleap up, this is where i had to stop for the moment.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzdt1ia5sdzogao/SMOKETEST.zip?dl=0

One goes in scripts the other in particles.
    Need to work on the initial smoke and it still has some visibility issues but i think its okay for a wip.
    Need to know opinions on radius, time and all the whatnots.
    Will host a temp serv so you cna join and see how they work. Id like to see how other models are viewed inside smokes.

Well i cant tell if you can see it on the browser but it should be accesable by

join 192.168.0.100:27015

edit: well nevermind that, ill try to set it up later, seeing as noone is online to tell me if it works or not and ill probably be off for more than 3 hours.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I really like the smoke "Z10000m"ing in.

btw is ingest not the worst mechanic ever

10. Z100000M

That would be bushido. Ingest um... fucks with scries? I dunno.
    I also forgot to add alpha to the pre-smoke, it will fade into existnce instead of just spawning after i fix it.

I iwhs i ocould control which direction the smokes spawn in instead of it being sphericly random. Half the particle goes into the ground :|

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It is, it's old Valve code from before Source 2007.

12. Z100000M

13. Z100000M

Also it seems to see it on any server it does need at leat a news classes file since ir just spawns errors.

All the same really since ill make this into a proper grenade today instead of hackjob HE. I just hope that the warning of not changing the index in classes is not about being unable to add to it.

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You can't add any infantry weapons, even if it's just a duplicate of something else in the scripts. You have to get some programmer to add a weapon in.

Unless you mean adding smokes or whatever to other classes, that's totally doable. Just be warned that you might experience some crashing on pub servers depending on what changes. I remember for a while I had some of spike's scripts on and couldn't go rifleman and couldn't use pistol on gren just because what I had didn't line up with the server. There's a lot of things that are perfectly safe to change and not have problems, but changing class loadouts is not one of them.

Also, it's looking pretty good now, can't see shit on the other side and I like how it's kinda like fireworks, with little smokes popping out after the initial one.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

Man people are going to fucking hate me on district.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Pfft, he nade spam will still be worse.

17. Z100000M

I didnt add anything back then, i just changed the effect of He grenades.

18. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It shouldn't require anything serverside if it's just the files that I received from you via Vicki regarding particles. That is, unless the server in question is running sv_pure 1/2.

19. Z100000M

I tried just joining a server and got error particles, which tells me that there is some weird issue.

by default the game particles has HE's proper particle linked to it. To not fuck with the file yet, i just redirected that to the new particle, so throwing HE gives you a smoke cloud instead.
    Youd think the server running the original game_particles would call for the normal HE particle more than anything, but it just errors out instead.

Doesnt matter in the end much, ill have a proper new nade ready by tommorow and that should work.

20. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Jut from aesthetic point of view: Are you able to spawn the single particles at the point where the grenade initially detonates and then move them out to the maximum sphere radius? Ideally not with a constant motion, but with decreasing speed, the closer they are to their final position.