SMG Confidence?

Discussion in 'General' started by Drag0wn, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

There's something to the NF SMG1 over the BE SMG1 that makes me feel that it's a better weapon. I know there isn't anything though.

On the same token, I've always felt the BE SMG2 is more effective than the NF SMG2 on the same baseless grounds.

Anybody else felt this sort of way about Empires SMGs?

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Someone somewhere once said that the BE smgs feel more accurate due to not having the knockback animation (but that has no actual effect). I use both sides' SMGs with the same (perceived) effect though.

3. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I think I used pistols as an engineer more than the smg's.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

No, but I hear people say it has something to do with animation. Something along the lines nf smg1 doesn't look like it has recoil while be smg1 does, even though they fire the same.

Checking scripts though, there is a problem with melee damage. For some reason be smgs only do 40, while nf does 70, for both type 1 and 2 smg. What's up with that?

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I would like to think that is there because of reasons that have to do with making both teams completely different.

Most of the time NF wins infantry battles but loose in vehicle battles.
    I think that's the reason but I doubt it.

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Really? I feel that BE SMG1 > NF SMG1.
    Am I the weirdo here?

7. Metruption

Metruption Member

I have the same perception as Drag0wn

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

No you're not Security.

BE SMG1 makes me feel a lot more confident because it's a death laser. It doesn't actually do a whole lot of damage, but it's all straight and the model isn't in the way at all. In comparison the NF SMG1 has a slightly dulled sound to it that isn't as crisp and yeah, there's more recoil to the model.

With BE SMG2 however, it feels a lot less accurate due to the recoil and tinny sound, as well as the model taking up more of the view. NF's SMG2 in contrast takes up not much space, feels capable on the move, and the cone of fire seems to match the muzzle.

Weapons are pretty different to how they were before, though and the descriptions for smg1 and 2 were backwards compared to Trickster's more recent balance.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The NF SMG1 always felt nice for bursting targets far away, but it still gets out-accuracied by the BE SMG1 which can fit every bullet on a dime while prone or even crouching.

NF SMG2 is definitely better than the BE SMG2, it's a run-and-gun... gun and the blowdryer design makes you feel like your bullets fly out in a shower cone for easy placement on the centers of Imperial chest, and if the accuracy pattern so much as feels a certain way, regardless if it actually is, it will perform that way. The BE SMG2 feels like the bullets just fly in random directions like someone sticking their finger in a hose.

11. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

To me it's all about firing sounds - the NF SMG2 sounds so panned and bad, and the BE SMG1 sounds tinny and weak.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

The SMGs are identical as far as rounds go.

Like someone said, it's really about the perceived effect based on the animation recoil and the sounds. I always feel more accurate with BE SMG2, even though I know 100% it's identical to NF SMG2. Likewise with BE SMG1 vs NF SMG1. I know they're identical but BE SMG1 feels more accurate. It isn't though, and that's something you need to accept. They are identical.

13. Neoony

Neoony Member

same here, BE smg 1 seems more accurate than NF and overal better. NF seems better for run and gun.
    SMG 2 seems more powerful but less accurate for NF.

funny what animations and models can do

14. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

I don't think I've even used the BE SMG1 in the last 2-3 years. I don't know if they were different back then, but I really hated that gun. I probably only use the NF SMG1 20% of the time, pistols are much better for long distances in my opinion.

15. Metruption

Metruption Member

The weird thing is that my confirmation bias often sees more people kicking butt with nf smg1 than be smg1