Small scale testing sessions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Drag, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Drag

Drag Member

I still find new major bugs in the current (RC2) build that haven't been reported. Until the next tester release we could try to find some more to make the next build count. Testing PUGs with more players make no sense till the next build.

Everyone interested in some small scale testing (2-3 people at a time) contact me here or on steam http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970533587/

The goal of these sessions is to:
    A. Find new major bugs, like commander speech not working
    B. Tell me about old (or really old) bugs that still haven't been fixed and that still annoy the hell out of you
    C. Give you testers direct feedback on bugs or quirks you find without having to hump mantis a lot.

Testing shouldn't take longer than 1 hour. Times are to be discussed.

Also note that you still can report bugs on mantis for the time being. As you can see the bug list on mantis looks a lot more colourful now and a lot of issues are closed.

http://www.empiresmod.com/bug_tracker/main_page.php

Testing PUGs with more players make no sense till the next build.

2. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Would we need to have anything else installed? - i'm talking about the speed limiting patch and other small stuff like that.

3. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I'm not gonna test until a new RC is up.

Mainly because the glitches in the build Mootant compiled will most likely not be in the ones in the current public RC. Testing an old RC has no use.

4. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I can upload new DLL in 5-10 minutes after Drag asks me. I don't see any problem.

5. Drag

Drag Member

Exactly, we could quickly test new .dll's this way. @ikalx: Yes, a new .dll as mootant said, if it isn't just a server.dll I think.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Whenever you want...you have me on steam, so anytime you collar me, i'll make time. Shouldn't be a problem unless the team really needs me...and how often does that happen? ^^

7. Drag

Drag Member

Okay had an impromptu testing session with Cyberkiller and Mootant, thanks to both!

Found out or reproduced/reported 8 bugs. Some of them pretty major like revive not working...

8. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I was half asleep when I wrote that.

Good idea. I think you guys should use SVN update.

9. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

If you want newest DLL you need to ask me or Razorbud (more generally speaking - one of programmers) because we're adding changes all the time.

10. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

MOOtant, if you're doing that, then maybe an SVN would be a good idea~?

11. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

What for? We're not going to give testers access to code. And without access to SVN you can't get the newest DLLs. Ask on IRC.

12. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

I am of course up for some testing. I may host a server for 4-8 people.

13. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

wait---cant you just make the svn then keep it updated with the latest dll for testers to download and nothing else (only what they need)?

it would certainly make it easier than getting pestered constantly for a dll

14. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I don't have any empty machine that would constantly build newest SVN revision and upload it somewhere. It's not even needed because build done 5 days ago might be enough for testing. We're not introducing huge changes every day.

15. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

we MIGHT be able to use part of the ghost server to act as the svn server for the dlls, how much cpu, ram hdd, etc would it use? (its a dual core dedicated server btw (http://www.killercreation.co.uk/services/dedicated-servers/intel-core2duo-standard)) since empires only uses 1 core theres probably not a problem with using the other one for the svn if napalm doesnt mind

edit: thats cool with both napalm and killercreations, i can set it all up (might take awhile), and it should be far more effective than irc or pms etc to get dlls ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  16. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'm not giving code access to any non-devs.

17. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

hows a dll code access? not to mention the fact that your already giving it away by giving the dll to whoever asks it anyway... but sure lets make everything less effective than it can be doesnt bother me

edit: infact whilst we are at it lets not bother with these small scale testing sessions since we wont be sure if any bugs we find have been fixed

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  18. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I'm not sure if you understand the difference between source code and compiled DLL.

19. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

People need to drop the SVN idea. SVN is primarily used for sharing the source code to something. You may as well just put the DLL on the empires mod site in a passworded folder (like with the RCs), and post the link in these tester forums. Update it once every week/major change. Problem solved.

20. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

Thats strange. Maybe I'm not savvy with SVN, but when I beta test Smashball, all it does is replace the files with the ones on the server.