single lane low pop comm map ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Jul 25, 2014.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Are these sides like in the middle?
    Or just in the bases and the ref points?

I would like them in the middle because it will be easier for grens to be useful if they are not in tanks.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

should i keep such terraces? some accessible, some not. in the pic below you still could build a vf up there in the lower right corner - that wont be in the final version and the rax will be shielded better, ill add cliffs there. its gonna be accessible for infantry from both sides well actually my intention was to make it single side access from startbase. theres no res up there and you cant get the cv up (ill add vehicle brushes) so you cant hold out there forever. also arty and nukes ...

and, even if its overdone, i think ill add a pipeline - it fits a desert canyon best i guess and it gives reasons for ladders and buildings and makes bridging the canyon an option. you wont be able to run along the pipeline for the whole map, just pieces.

[​IMG]
    (the leftmost ones are the original start rax and ref)

[​IMG]
    yes its mostly flat still (especially the cliff top edge), but i cannot touch z-axis before i finished everything else or changing the cliffs is gonna be a nightmare ...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I'm really liking it so far. I'm really wondering how those horseshoe shape parts in the south and north will play out, they look like they could make for neat tactics.

I'm not sure how I feel about that terrace next to the main. I'm remembering those little hills in canyon and they can be a nightmare to break through. It is going to be even worse it the only way up is a ladder, would be impossible to get up if you are attacking it. I do like them aesthetically though, it is just gameplay wise I think it will drag the endgame on.

How about just making it so that there is two little ramp hills on the edges, kinda like the bridge on slaughtered. Make the ends a bit fatter and wider though, so people can shove more turrets or even a tank to shell people down below. It gives the defending team better way to fortify their last position, but the attacking team doesn't have to struggle for 10-15 minutes trying to clear it out.

4. flasche

well its your last stand. if you are boxed in up there your comm isnt protected anymore and has no place to run or hide - but maybe i just shouldnt leave enough room for rax up there. the problem i see with making it accessible from all sides is that two enemies up there could fuck over the defender badly and especially with lower populations its a whole other route youd need to defend ... and i sure dont want to have any vehicle up on such plateaus, so theres either jumping or ladders involved in going up there.

remember the goal is to keep players (mainly vehicles and especially apcs) confined to a single lane. theres supposed to be small side routes and enough cover, but no way to pass the enemy completely unnoticed - as long as he isnt sleeping ofc.

5. BigTeef

Okay I like this a lot more than my idea.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

ladders are a bad mechanic to rely on. its going to kill the map

7. BigTeef

Ramps dont sound bad, ladders are certainly the worst functioning thing this game has.

You try stair towers if you are dedicated to the infantry only areas.

[​IMG]

8. flasche

i have no issues with climbing up only going down can be a pita - even though most servers have no or 10 fall damage, ill try to have drop down descents where you dont take damage, but i see no reason why someone would build staircases in the middle of nowhere. ill try to give the ladders reason with the pipeline. dont expect to get on every terrace.

9. BigTeef

To serve as watch towers, we are talking about oil and pipelines right?
    Obviously people want to keep an eye on these.

If you disagree, this is empires, a lot of shit doesn't make sense and it's fun because of this.
    However my idea involves creating a new thing, and that can't be easy.

What you could do is make platforms and they be apart of the cliff, and make small ladders.

So if the eventual thing happens and people fall off, they land on these things.
    They can serve as mini defense spots like put a turret on each platform or a camera to detect.

[​IMG]

Now im not saying random floating platforms, I mean like small chunks that are apart of the terrain kind of like rocks with a flat surface on top.

[​IMG]

Kinda like small hexagonal shapes and they serve as like a pseudo staircase but not lined up like one, and you climb a ladder on each surface.

[​IMG]

Not actual big rectangles but something more natural looking.
    They could be just giant rocks with ladders attached to them.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Empires donkey kong jr.

11. flasche

"i think you mean octagons"
    -- john shandy

12. BigTeef

An octagon has 8 sides.

A hexagon has 6.

Unless im missing a joke here.
    (goddamnit)

Send me a friend request on steam so I can help you throw ideas around.

13. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

yeah, octagons have 8 sides, the octagons flasche referred to are the ones in that picture.

14. BigTeef

[​IMG]

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Strange that you use emp_octagons as an example seeing as that map is named for its octagons.

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Ah, yeah I wasn't thinking about that. Considering it is just to make defenders have a better positions to defend with but can be ignored by attackers I think it would fine to keep then.
    I agree with that. That was why I originally suggested basically getting rid of the big terrace and have ramps that end with a decent sized terrace. Or worded differently, a canyon through the middle of that big terrace but it has some ramps leading to the sides, in an effort to avoid ladders.

Breaking up the ladders like you and bigteef was saying would work alright too. I just don't think 1 really tall ladder is good. Too easy to get shot, fall, or all cramped up on the ladder if a bunch of people go up at once.

17. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Those are definitely octagons... you never really paid attention in school, did you?

Also, the map is definitely heading straight for 'best with 40 players' territory. And that's probably fine.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  18. BigTeef

It is actually a Decagon, see the construction of the brown tile has a width and produces an extra corner.

And when a extra corner is produced it becomes a side.
    So the brown tile has 12 sides.

So it is neither a hexagon or an octagon, but merely a Decagon.
    Senor I suggest getting your eyes checked before talking smack.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

It's clearly a heptagon.

20. BigTeef

Okay enough with the spam, this isn't off topic.

I am legitimately trying to help flache, but then you guys keep referencing old crap.

Come on, contribute some kind of spit ball idea that is either relatable or help him develop it.
    I don't know jackshit about mapping so I can't help him with his lighting issue, so I hope somebody can.