Single cannon researchable cannons

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Stu, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

Due to the nerfing of the single cannons, I find they make LT's and AFV's completely useless. There needs to be some single-slot cannon research. Armor piercing, glass-tipped, I dunno. But as of right now, when armor is researched standard cannons become completely obsolete, thus making the LT's and AFV's obsolete, other than for rushing with rockets.

2. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

when were they nerfed?
    edit: nvm

3. pickjaoe

pickjaoe Member

Why I may not agree with Stu as a person, I will agree with the idea.

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

give them more weapon slots?

either 2 1-cannon slots or 1 3-MG slot for explosive/plama MG

5. rat

rat Member

i think light tanks were too powerful before.

6. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

The problem isn't the LT, it was the standard cannon. It was too useful. Commanders and players will now consider researching/using different cannons for a change.

The LTs are still useful with an upgraded engine and some armor. They just won't be as prominent like they used to be.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

yeh the short games i played with it it seemed to be fine, its more challenging. I would've expected a nerf like this to be worse as I mentioned in the one turret one shell thread. But it works quite well. Now all that needs to be done is a slight change to missiles to make them more useful

8. Slithzerikai

Slithzerikai I for one am glad the NF SMG 3 is gone

What about the HE cannon? Did anything change to that one?

Or can it still take out a full health/armor heavy tank in 3 hits?

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Just because the LT's are actually killable doesn't means they're useless, it means you can't just rush to the enemy and kill 10 tanks.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

an LT is a great support vehicle, though the 20 heat is quite a lot for each shot of the small cannon- now you can only fire 5 shots before you get overheated.

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Earlier, a single LT could overpower more than 1 tank, now it needs support from other LT's or other tank types.

12. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

I think the 20 heat is too much, many others have agreed too. Downgrade it to 15 or something. I think Krenzo heard a lot of this while he was on PUG.

So I hope he downgrades the heat output.

13. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

with the new improved (gameplay wise) decreased damage and RoF, there's no need to increase heat in my opinion

14. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Before this change, heat was 10, and damage was 50, so 500 damage if every shot hit the target before you overheated, not counting the cooling between shots.
    Now, it's 20 heat and 40 damage, so 200 damage, not counting cooling between shots.
    If it's 15 heat, you can fire 7 times, but you'd have 105 heat, and it would be 280 damage, again, not counting cooling between shots.
    If it's 10 heat, you can fire 10 times, and you'd have 400 damage, too much.
    I'd say the max damage would be about 325, so lets say 15 heat, that would be about 45 damage per shot. That's not counting cooling between shots, and not counting missed shots.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

I agree with Solokiller (325 or something). Doubling the heat seems a bit too much. Even though I can stay in one place and count on the overflowing.

16. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I like the heat the way it is now, Tank battles are no longer frantic mash the button and hope that the shot will hit... Now you have to carefully land your shots in or stall in the middle of a battle and get taken out by the tanker who was managing his heat...

I love the way the new cannons work, they are really "Paper" cannons now, not something that could be used in late game, I simply love it...

The damage reduction makes the paper armor actualy usefull and provide protection for more then 1 shot; making the AVF's side plates alot more usefull, add in now that it can actualy elevate it's turret, and you have a match for light tanks, sure both can't be played the same way, but they are evenly matched now and the only deciding factor now is the skill of the driver...

Leave the standard cannons it is now in the new RC; It is perfect now, just slow enough to catch your breath and enough heat to make you worry about making your shots count...

On topic - Single cannon ressearch might actualy be a good option right now, or a pre requisit for other later better guns...

Ressearched weapons SHOULD feel more powerfull, and heavier (a 3 slot cannon should weigh alot more then a single slot cannon naturaly)

Then the double slotted weapons should be ALOT more powerfull then the single slotted ones, making it worth while for NF to ressearch their medium tanks, because if they do not, they will be outclassed by the Brenodi 2 slot meds.

Right now it feels like each upgrade and iteration in tank chassis is barely and improvement and a lower level ( A light tank can engage a med tank and still often come out on top)

It should be that if a light sees a medium tank, it should retreat and wait for help instead of trying to engage; and force the commander to match with their own meds, as the cannons that lights and AVF's carry are outclassed by the 2 slot carried by the medium tanks, and then inturn, the heavy tank 3 slots outclass the 2 slot tanks

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  17. picard131

picard131 Member

Aye, there's a lot of depth to the ages-old AFV vs NF LT wars now, and they're a lot more balanced. I found my formerly trusty LT stalling and blowing up on more than one occasion due to my cannon spam, and now I guess I have to use tactics. Still, a change for the better.

18. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

it's pretty hard to kill structures though...

19. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Earlier people were complaining about Light/AVF rushes killing off bases too early in the game...

This way without proper ressearch, for tanks to end the game THAT early, will be nearly impossible, and require either teamwork, or the complete "UhhhDDuuuHHR" of the enemy team...

In the begning structures are extreamly hard to kill Via tanks, infantry can go toe to toe with early tanks as well if not better. As the conflict escolates both sides ressearch better, stronger tanks and with each cannon iteration (from 1 slot, to 2 slot, to 3 slot) those cannons become more efficient and deadly, allowing you to take down structrues alot easier then if you tried it earlier...

Problem even right now is that Tanks are effective against buildings right off from the start, cutting the shine on infantry. Early game should be mostly infantry, with a few tanks around just for support, not for spearheading. Then as the game escolates the tanks start taking over, leading the charges so to speak.

20. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

i think this makes the missles more useful.. but it will also make it easier to kill tanks as a gren.. which i have no problem with :D