Should our new tier 3 weapons have their own researches?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Mar 5, 2016.

?

New researches for new tier 3 weapons?

1. yes

2. no

3. I don't know.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

In future patches, we will most likely add a tier 3 version for our tier 2 cannons/missiles. (HE, Ranged, UML, Guided ML...etc)
    For plasma cannon, we might add a tier 2 version.
    Nuke most likely won't have a tier 2 version.

Now, there will definitely be public tests for this so don't lose your shit yet.

Tier 3 weapons will be slightly more powerful and only heavy tanks can use them, obviously.

By slightly I mean 10% more damage or so. In fact, I might drop tier 2's damage by 3~5%.

We want heavy tanks to deal more damage, simple as that.

Here's the problem, should we add new researches like "Improved Explosive Shells", or should tier2/tier3 be tied together like DUMG?

What do ya say?
    If new researches will be added, I think we should keep them locked until "Advanced Chassis" is researched.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Rails was 10% more then ranged cannon, no one gets rails. Admittedly that's solely on the dps side, but you still can kinda see yeah?

When you say locked do you mean someone is reenabling that prerequisite research thing or are you going to shove all these things in the advanced chassis menu? It's gonna look a bit strange putting it all after advanced chassis which is the only way to lock it out now. If you had an icon that clearly showed it was for a heavy tank you wouldn't need to bother locking it either, I assume the reason is to prevent people thinking they are getting a +1 version of whatever?

In any case there's a small question of how long the research time is, a minute feels whatever to me. Heavies are doing fine with 2 slot stuff, even if you nerfed it by 5% or whatever. So when heavies are finally gotten comms are usually just grabbing whatever at that point anyway. Point being the minute specializing the heavy tank by getting that +1 version doesn't make a huge difference to anything I feel. 2 minutes certainly will be felt more especially if they are something you research after item in question, he cannon->super he cannon in the research tree for instance.

Personally I'm not a fan of stronger heavies, I don't think they need buffs of any sort. But whatever.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yeah, rail only deals 15 more damage than ranged cannon in 3 secs, it generates more heat in that 3 secs, it weighs 20 more, it has 50 smaller explosion radius, lower capacity and can only be used on a heavy tank.

Tier 3 weapons will be the child of tier 2 weapons, "Explosive Shells"->"Improved Explosive Shells"
    By locking them I meant you simply can't research them unless "Advanced Chassis" is researched first, that would probably require some code work.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Rails weigh 10 more. 70 vs 80.

Like I said, there was a prerequisite thing in code but it's commented out. I know about it when I was fiddling with research scripts over here and had a talk with candles about things you can do and cant do with research. Who knows how it actually functions in game, the way the game locks out faction specific research looks bad, and is kinda annoying to deal with.

That thread I linked might be handy if you intend to do a lot of work in the research tree, simple things that make your life easier is that those xy things in scripts don't actually do anything.