Should guard orders and move orders cancel targets?

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by jragbir, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Should guard orders and move orders cancel targets?

1. y

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. n

32 vote(s)
    88.9%
  1. jragbir

jragbir Member

y/n
    <filler>

2. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

no.
    I find it very annoying.

3. pickled_heretic

pickled_heretic Member

you probably couldn't find a rational person who wants targets to be removed by guard orders.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

no.
    I find it very annoying.

5. Headshotmaster

Headshotmaster Member

No. One of the most overlooked aspects of Empires.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

easy solution: remove comm mass wallhacks - they only add to dumb players huntig dumb red diamonds. imo they destroy lots of gameplay :rolleyes:

7. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

I disagree, Empires is too big to have to run around and find people to fight, targets make it easy. And I think fighting is most fun when it is face to face, no targets the majority of the game will probably involve you getting shot in the back, which just pisses people off. Maybe you dont think its fair but I think its a good call for the fun factor.

the game is also too fast paced to do otherwise(in relative ability to do damage sense).

8. Demented

Demented Member

I don't know about you, but I do plenty of fighting face to face without targets. Maybe I'm just a stupid lummox who rushes headlong into enemy fire. Mostly targets serve to eliminate any motivation to flank, ambush, or surprise attack; they'll always see it coming, which removes any advantage those tactics have over just nadespamming their infrastructure to death.

Besides, if it's so crucial and universally beneficial to gameplay, why does it need to be implemented so badly and also require the commander to A-spam?

9. flasche

thats so QFT'd

we have cameras, enhanced senses, radar ... there really is no need for comm targets other than fighting against guys that have those targets too ^^

10. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Well, couldn't we like have a huge battle without targets then? Is there any way to turn them off / set max targets in the console?
    Whatever the way, I still would like to be able to give 1 target. So that the commander can at least watch himself when going out to build something.

And topic: Yes, I hate this.

11. flasche

we could, but that would mean youd need to trust your enemy to not give targets ... and if you read that discussion in the BSID thread ...

12. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

That's why I wondered if there was any way to turn targets off by using the console ;)

13. flasche

such an option would be cool to test it out i agree, i thought you would want to test it on 2.24d as it currently doesnt support this feature afaik :confused:

14. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

Either no targets, or if you agree with the "empires maps are too big to be searching for the enemy" thing, EVERYONE should have targets. all the time.

frankly I find jumping around a wall to kill the enemy, knowing exactly where he is thanks to the target, bad. It's bad. what's worse though is trying to flank, get behind the enemy, have a bit of fun in the enemy base or what not and then when you know you've been targetted. or when you're hiding in the water but the enemy knows exactly where to shoot? it's so fucking shit.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Attack orders are abused and they should be removed. When is a different question.

16. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Maybe you should max-cap it in the meantime. Having 3 targets is decent for every infantryman out there, without mapping the entire battlefield for them.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

100% agree

they are abused, but they should be changed to not be a spam of A+select rather than just lamequit style removed

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Maybe they need to be changed into beacons - i.e. the area around the target is marked, but not the target specifically. I think I suggested something like that before. Of course you will always need a single select as a backup.

19. flasche

wow my wet dreams come true :eek: