SERVER OWNERS: Help us rewrite the dedicated server setup tutorial

Discussion in 'Community Requests' started by Beerdude26, May 21, 2012.

1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Currently, this is our dedicated server setup tutorial: http://wiki.empiresmod.com/index.php?title=Dedicated_Server_Setup

While not exactly horrible, we can certainly use hints and tips from experienced server owners to help protect servers from DoS spam, known crash exploits, etc. What modules are crucial in running an Empires server? What plugins should every Empires server have?

If we want a lot of people for the next patch, we'll need some decent, hardy servers available, so help us out :)

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

We should probably make an actual server package this time. We sort of forgot that part last time. I can't really vouch for crash protection because I don't really bother with that, but VIPER is locked up tight using KAC, DaF and a few other things.

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

As trickster mentioned we do use a few plugins on VIPER. One is called KAC, which stands for Kigen's Anti-Cheat , it is designed to detect most cheats.
    which can be found here. http://kigenac.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=231

We also have DAF installed, which stands for DOS Attack Fix, which can be downloaded here http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=9

DAF blocks the IP of the DOS attacker.

On our dedi we have wire shark installed, Wireshark lets you capture and interactively browse the traffic running on a computer network. Which is helpful when being attacked. You can downlaod it here http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Unfortunately, on Windows, if a full force DDOS attack occurs, there is little we can do to stop it. The best way to deal with that is to change your server's ports, if possible, and use the data from wireshark to help track where the attacks are coming from and have your servers isp null route the offending ip's.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Just curious... if your in the middle of a full force DDos... how do you connect to your server to change ports and what not? Does your server always have a certain % of network allocated only only for your use?

5. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Don't answer, he's looking prevent your measures the next time he ddoses you.

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

shhh... don't give away my plans.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Most of the current DoS attacks only really affect the srcds server, it's much easier to overwhelm that than the entire box. In short, source is easier to break, given the amount of exploits.

8. Beerdude26

Does anyone feel like writing up a short tutorial on how to install the DAF and KAC (+ Sockets) plugins for Empires?

9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. Beerdude26

I don't know if DAF works without installing SourceOp. Did you have to install that as well?

11. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

nope not the version I have I just put it in my empires/addons folder..unless something has changed.

12. Beerdude26

Could you add those files as an attachment to your next post?