Server Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by [NOD]Kane, Mar 23, 2009.

1. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking at getting a 48 player server up and running for general use, clan matchs and PUG

I have a 30Mbit Unlimited DL/UL business grade connection.

What hardware would you guys recommend? I am assuming it will run better on linux? and the only use for this server is Empires.

I want it to run with the least possible lag.

Also if anyone can opt to assist in the install that would be great.

2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I have not verified this, but I hear great things about running the Windows server on Linux using Wine. Running natively, I cannot be sure whether Linux or Windows is the better option.

As far as I know, source dedicated server doesn't support multicore yet. So if you're on a budget, you'd probably want a fast dual core processor over a slightly less fast quad core, unless you plan to run more than one server.

SSD drives are expensive, but worth it if you've got the money.

3. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

How much is ram an issue?

Currently i am thinking:
    3.0Ghz C2D E8600 CPU
    6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
    32GB SSD SATA2

If there is no difference between a linux and windows server what version of windows would be best, I will likely need a 64bit version to get use of the extra ram... I have several licences for xp, vista, 2003 server and 2008 server.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

AFAIK, xp can use 3gb of ram, and vista uses 4. Linux can support 8.

5. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

I've never tried running a server on 64bit or Windows Server 2008, so somebody else would have to advise you on that.

I'm personally a fan of Linux; as I feel a GUI is unncessary. However, most of the server admins I've talked to are currently running Windows Server 2003. If you decide to try something else, please let me know how it goes and we can official document that. :)

I'd EXPECT 6GB of ram would suffice, but I haven't managed a heavily populated server in over a year. Nacho's has 16GB of ram, but they run 8 servers. Napalm's also has 16GB of ram, but again it runs multiple servers.

To top it off, maybe add a normal 500GB SATA hard drive for regular storage, as 32GB can fill up rather fast. They're fairly cheap, and you might want to store backups or something?

6. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

The 3/4GB cap is only for 32-bit operating systems, but you can run PAE (Physical Address Extension) to surpass those pesky restrictions on Windows Server editions. THIS PAGE is very informative.

7. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

- The reason i first thought linux was due to how it wont be running extra stuff that is not needed, thus making more power available to the server. But I may go 2008 Server.

- 32GB is heaps isn't it? the only files on the server will be the OS and Empires, like I said it is a fully ded server for Empires only and I will only have 1 server running on it as there is not currently enough players worldwide to justify 2

8. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

P.S. I want it to run as many players as possible on the server at one time with next to no lag. (is the current player limit due to programming 48?)

9. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

when you pull this off you will be my new god

10. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

lol that might be but i will still suck at the actual game rofl

11. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Once you get it running, let me know if you need any help in running the server. Things like installing mods or admin-etc. Vicki will vouch for me (:

12. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

XP is limit to 4gb ram on both versions ,64x and 32x.
    Vista is limted to 4gb ram (WHOLE SYSTEM) on 32x, to 128gb ram on 64x

---

Under no circumstances I'd recommend a SSD as they are WAY to expansive AND the performace drops quite fast (especially with regular writes). You should go with a SAS 15k rpm drive (or RAID0 / or RAID0+1 (for redundancy) ) if you really need that speed (don't forget to get a SAS controller in that case), if you want you can go with a fast desktop hdd such as the veloci raptor.

13. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Hey, I sent you a PM, it'd be easier for me to list the parameters you need in an IM rather than on here.

14. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

Incorrect. Please read my previous post or just go here: (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx)

The price point of SSD drives is dropping rapidly, and performance only suffers when writing large files. Depending on the brand (zomg blazing fast OCZ), they can still blow past velociraptors. The additional lifetime is also enough a major bonus. It's a personal choice, but I'd suggest reading some more benchmarks before making such bold statements as "under no circumstances".

15. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

The only thing I got wrong is the 64bit XP memory limit, which appears to be 128gb. Still you can't use more then 4gb with XP 32x or Vista 32x, if you want to do it you'll have to use the Server Editions and make sure you have a motherboard with PAE support.

Every benchmark I've seen has shown that SSD drives have lower transfer rates (though more consistant) then VelociRatpors/15000rpm drives. Also the price/gb is WAY higher compared to high end HDDs. The access time is superior, ofc.

Apart from that I've seen enough reports about high performance drops. I won't recommend the SSDs at their current state (or the state it was a litte ago when I activly read SSDs / HDDs reviews, benchmarks etc). I've seen solutions which are really superior (Transferrates ~600mb/s) and solid but these are just too expensive.

Just to clear this up, SSDs are the future and it's not like I have anything against them, but I wouldn't recommend them RIGHT NOW.

16. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Empires doesn't really use that much memory. I think you'd be fine with 4GB.

I'm pretty sure I've seen SRCDS use multiple cores.

17. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

I have a rarely used file server / domain controller on my network I can use in the mean time to test the network:

Quad core 2.48Ghz
    4Gb DDR2 memory
    500GB 7200RPM Sata II
    Windows 2003 SBS Server

How many players should I set that to so that there is not much lag?

18. [NOD]Kane

[NOD]Kane Member

also, after using this server for a period of time I can gauge which parts to increase by checking out the system preformance logs.

19. recon

recon SM Support Dev

With that hardware, you should be able to run the maximum of 49 players.

Even with really powerful hardware, Empires didn't used to be able to handle more than 32 players without lag. 2.2x might have changed things, but I wouldn't be surprised you get some tank lag with 49 players.

20. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

All servers lag with 10vs10 heavy tank battles. It's just a case of being 'playable' lag or 'LOLOLOL 0.2FPS LOL' lag.