Seriously, radio commands menu

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aurora, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Aurora

Aurora Radiating love, empathy and maternal instincts

No matter how nice and original it is, it's a HUGE hassle to use, and thus it is crap. Please make it number-based, like in CSS and DOD. Please. The commands would be SO much more comfortable to use. At the moment, trying to use the menu when in combat will only result in your death, because you can't aim or shoot when using the menu. Sometimes it's better to keep things simple.

2. Archanor

Archanor Member

Yeah, NS uses the same system, and it's quite bothering to use.

3. Aurora

The NS system doesn't even work for me. It has never worked. Some of the buttons just don't react to clicks, even when they should. So that makes playing the combat gamemode quite shitty for me.

4. Align

Align Member

At least make it optional.

NS can make do because you don't die in <1 second unless you're already wounded except in very special circumstances.

5. arklansman

arklansman Member

The only problem I have with it is the context sensitivity. Sometimes you'll give a move order when you try to spot enemies. :(

6. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

yeah thats the only problem i have with it.. other then that it works fine

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I must say I prefer the WASD over numbers-based. I already have my fingers on the WASD keys, thus I find it quicker to use. I agree about the on-and-off context sensitivity, and sometimes it doesn't feel as responsive as it could be, but other than that I have no problems with it.

8. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

I really, really, REALLY like this system over the numbers system. It's gotten to where I can give orders no hassle, no searching for the number and taking my hand off WASD.

9. Chahk

Chahk Member

How about making the keys configurable?

10. Aurora

Systems change. Perhaps there could be an option to enable the current system over the number system, though.

11. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Yeah, because I can't count the number of times I've accidentally clicked on "I need Infantry Support" instead of "Medic" because the keys are a bit unresponsive. Making them configurable should smoothen this process. Also, it will be another thing to add to the list of shit you can customize in Empires!

12. picard131

picard131 Member

Personally, I like the BF42 system the best. Quick key combos I could remember, like F3+F1 for reporting enemy tanks, and F1+F1 for confirming an order. None of this F+D+S+Space+Q+W+Z.

13. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

it's usually at most three clicks, and it takes just a quarter second to slow down, and do it right the first time. Yes, it could be more responsive but come on.

Is the system bad because you haven't learned it, or is it bad for another reason. Using this system is second nature to me, but i'm lost in CSS. it's not that the menu there is much harder, I simply haven't needed to learn it.

14. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Here's an idea: keep the current system, but add a number-based menu as well. The code already exists, and it seems like it should be fairly simple to convert over (unless the existence of the WASD menu somehow precludes the addition of a new menu). That way, players could pick which one they wanted simply by choosing which one to bind to their usual command menu button.

15. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Current system works pretty well except that you can't shoot/aim for very short time. If change it all then move to CS:S (number) menus and remove current system.

16. KILLX

KILLX Banned

Quoted from Bodrick

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

I just don't see any need for this at all. Improve the current system, sure, but don't waste time coding the same thing twice. It doesn't take very long to learn the most common combos, and if you're struggling with them then maybe this is something you can do to improve your game.

18. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Quick Quiz!

What does f (space) d do?

19. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

It summons the enlighting one liners of lord Don Megel the great, may his infinite wisdom guide you in your quest for mockery.

20. picard131

picard131 Member

I believe you mean f d space.

"Ha! You're covered in holes!"