Self-constructing armories.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I think it would be good if armories automatically constructed themselves over time. No other buildings -- only armories. The exact speed could vary -- not too fast, mind. Slow enough that having an engineer makes a big difference. But fast enough that a comm could drop one in response to their team requesting ammo/health.

Basically, this would have several advantages:

1. It's "safe" from a balance standpoint, in that it seems unlikely to break anything -- armories are useful but not usually game-deciding on their own, so unlike other buildings self-constructing armories don't ruin anything. People could just e-build them anyway, but that often doesn't happen. This encourages comms to drop them in key locations even without an engineer around, knowing that they'll eventually construct themselves. And, of course, dropping an armory in an 'inaccessible' location and letting it autobuild is pointless, unlike other buildings.

2. It makes engineers less essential, without making them obsolete. Yes, engineers should be important, but right now you need them for everything and everything falls apart without them. I don't think it hurts to make them slightly less essential for supplies.

3. It encourages comms to build armories, and gives them something to do to help their team even when they don't have any attentive engineers around. Armories are cheap enough that even a comm who drops a lot of them probably isn't going to bankrupt their team or anything.

4. Unlike other 'comm power' suggestions, the other team can easily do something about this -- armories are as vulnerable as ever, especially when they're very slowly building themselves and start with low health.

Basically, it's a relatively easy and lightweight substitute for comm powers that uses things that are already in the game. The only real disadvantage is that it makes engineers slightly less essential, and honestly, I'm not sure that that's a bad thing -- it's not like they're not still necessary for building every other kind of building.

2. Demented

Demented Member

Armories are the only buildings that are semi-practical to e-build and they reward non-engineer classes enough to be worth e-building. Thus, I don't really see the need... If no one's e-building an armory, either there's something wrong with it or there's something wrong with the people expected to be using it.

Now, repair pads, they're a bit more irritating to e-build... Though someone can probably come up with a reason for those not to construct themselves.

3. Zeke

Zeke Banned

it would just lead to coms spamming em all over the place to avoid losing ground at the important locations.

this practice is used even in todays gameplay from time to time and its quite effective, the only problem is that you need to divert ur engineers to build them all.

now if they autoconstruct on the other hand... then the engis only need to build the frontline armory and keep it alive since the ones in the back (which prevent quick tank overruns and sudden loss of ground due to dying at the front) will autoconstruct themself.

and ofc, you would see coms building these at ninja rax locations far far far far faaaarrr more often in order to prevent them from being placed.

tldr: do not want.

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

either everything slowly* autobuilds over time, or nothing ...
    ... id prefer nothing ;)

you could also have the CV radiating an autobuild aura, this could be a bit faster, but would probably help too much with turretfarms.

*and by slowly i mean so slow that its not useable, or at least doesnt help much since it would help a bit in any case, on slaughtered (since this is the map where its most common to drop armories for scunts)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't see a reason for it. Armouries don't take hella long to e-build - unlike everything else.

Edit: Bear in mind that if you drop an armoury that auto-builds, what you'll get is a rifleman or scout behind enemy front lines or near the enemy comm who is free to continuing mowing down or hiding without being tied to the armoury to build it. Then when the building is done, they can just switch classes without having to ever have sacrificed any time or effort, other than to get there.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Demented

Demented Member

Considering there aren't attack orders any more, a commander with repair upgrade is just as threatening.

7. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

^ ^ ^

lol

8. Krazer

Krazer Member

Fuck self-constructing armories.

We need self-conscious armories. Capable of knowing when a soldier needs health and ammo and distributing it accordingly.

Also capable of transforming into a gundam, and firing it's plasma lasers at will.

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

already have them. they auto spot buildings to prevent any kind of ninja racks.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Dude Krazer, best suggestion EVEEEER!
    And inside the armory theres a button you can press to become gundam pilot :o!

11. Krazer

Krazer Member

:|ove: :|ove:

Edit:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  12. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

so yeah if we're in stupid ideas, a friend of mine suggested a constructing grenade, throw it and it'll automatically build whatever you want! Let's do that!

13. zenarion

zenarion Member

I'd rather see commander dropping in crates of ammo and health instead of armories. Basicly the same thing, but you don't get a building to hide inside and fap.

14. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Pokemon empires!! I chose you! Boomtank Hobbes!

15. zenarion

zenarion Member

This is how our world ends.