ScriptPires

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Lightning, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Lightning

Lightning Member

ScriptsPires is the working name for my rebalancing of empires as a whole.

Current features in testing:
    reworked infantry combat with a higher focus on Squad play
    Improved vehicle weaponry with more variation to vehicle weaponry
    Reworked Vehicle armour - Infantry Missiles no longer do fuck all damage to them
    renamed vehicle weapons to sound a little more realisitic :P
    Reworked Vehicle Engines

Planned features:
    RE-instated research cost + new research for new vehicle parts
    New DoT variants - a DoT weapon for each weapon type atleast
    A damage type for each weapon type - I.E Biological cannons and Plasma missiles

New Vehicle Weapons:

1-Slot:
    Biological Missile Launcher
    Biological Cannon
    Hight Explosive Cannon
    Depleted Uranium Light Machine Gun

2-Slot:
    Plasma Missile Launcher

3-Slot:
    120mm Cannon ( 3-Slot variant of the Extended Range Cannon , which is now named the 105mm Cannon )
    134mm Missile Launcher ( 3-Slot variant on the Upgraded missile Launcher, which is renamed the 88mm ML )
    20mm Auto Cannon - a Machine gun slot weapon designed to deal more damage against vehicles than machine guns

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  2. Lightning

Lightning Member

Electrical weaponry possible use:

absolutely no damage, but can overheat a target if they get close enough.

Notes: Heat Damage over Time code needs to be added for Heat Grenades to work

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  3. Lightning

Lightning Member

Concept BE Tank Destroyer:
    [​IMG]

The most heavily frontally Armoured vehicle in the mod, boasting 8 front armour, 3 side and 2 rear, (same total as the medium tank) this beast of an ambusher has a 3-slot cannon and an entire weapon dedicated to its role (see below). At the cost of its mobility and heat capacity over the artillery tank its based on. It can be researched in Advanced Chassis like the heavy tank.

- readding this one from The old Script-Pires as it will serve as a test bench for the future Tank destroyers

REQUESTS:

Graphics for 4 slot Cannon slot and actual weapon image

Tama likes this.
  4. Patrick

Patrick Member

Hi I want to give you guys some suggestions and ideas like new weapons or buildings for the game,

1- A gap generator. This can be a building or a tank, what it would do is hide the buildings, tanks and infantry on the map for the enemies of a radius of let's say 3 war factories size, maybe lower if its the tank. This could also be called stealth generator. It would be good to kinda counter artilleries and mortar. The only way enemies could spot something is if a scout use their binocular to spot it, it would give the scout better purpose than just drive it with a jeep.

2- Flame Tank for NF. I played renegade for some time and the flame tank is very fun to use, I'm pretty sure people would love to have this new anti-everything weapon.

3- Laser Tank for BE. Laser weapon would do the same kind of damage as the calculator does on building and tank, but from far. That means low but constant damage, and penetrate tanks armor to damage them directly. It would be powerful but weak armor so it can be deal with if it's not defended kinda like the artilleries.

This is just idea I would love to see in the game, I'm not expecting to see them anytime soon.. I wish I could help and make this possible for you to test out and see if it's good or not. Let me know what you think! (Sorry if I write some mistake, english is not my first language)

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Do you know how to program?

6. Lightning

Lightning Member

no he doesn't which is why he posted them here, i mean theyre good concept ideas, will need to think about how they would be implemented if they were successful during testing

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

I'm not sure about the GAP generator. I would rather not have things go completely invisible.
    The laser tank we already kind of have with the overheating ray thingie. It looks really terrible and out of place and really needs some other effect to fit in with the rest of Empires.
    The Flame tank I'd propose, if it gets added/tested, to only do damage to players and jeeps and only very slow overheating on vehicles. Kind of like a shorter range alternative to mounting MG.

But yes, all of these probably need some sort of coding and I'd think the flamers would take some serious work. (But since I've never actually seen the Empires code it's just a wild guess, based on the things in-game and the prototypes done years back)

8. Ranger

Ranger Member

As a matter of fact you can find most suggestions a bunch of times on these forums, including these ones.

The laser weapon works, it had no sound when I tested it. Also I don't remember if it's firing range is limited as it's supposed to be like the hemg.

9. Patrick

Patrick Member

The gap generator would only make buildings, tank and infantry invisible on the mini map. The laser tank would do damage like the calculator, not overheating like the tesla grenade lightning is working on. And for the flame tank I was thinking of one like in the game "renegade x" low range but can damage everything, but in empire it would need to gas.

10. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

Hey lightning,
    i'm also thinkering on rebalance, despite the fact i can't clearly remember the proud "early days" (idk the exact time of development) of empires, i miss the old balancing...
    but not just because of poor memory, it would be helpfull to store the actual balancing in a table - wich allows more prezice recalculations on base of different factors! ;-)
    (i have often the feel that modernday developers forget about the math - i can't explain myself another reason for such things like weak hightech railguns compared to midtech ranged cannon shells xP - wich do 10 more damage, weight 20 less, have same speed=range and the only drawback is 1 more heat generated per shot xP)

so, if such a table doesn't already exist and i'm just to blind to find it - could you write a script that can read&prozess all the values onto a table? - sadly i have no experience in this aswell, just know about the workflow necessery for propper balancing^^ - luckly one does not need to study math for it xD
    (simple basic math like dps over range can be used as basic guidelines, conceptioning different weapon concepts and calibrate them to match each others coefficient ;-)

11. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Add Angelscript, then you can ask scripts to give you balanced values without having to release another update to rebalance them every time.

12. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

If you can be really, really specific about what you need, I can write the script required pretty quickly. It would be based on bash, piping, grep, sed and possibly awk, and would output a .csv of the specified format. First make the desired table with bogus values, then export that as csv and indicate clearly how those values are to be calculated.

Oh, and it will probably take 3 months before I get around to it - I'll set myself a reminder for when I expect to have time. I think this is the kind of tool that could significantly improve development in the long run.

I was already thinking of a way to make such scripts generate diagrams using dia / imagemagick, so that they could be included with every update and shown in game, but I couldn't come up with the specifics required to make sense of our changes, and decided it would end up being a lot of work. Your table sounds easier and just as useful.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  13. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

ah cool, yea game/actual mod file knowledge is importand for that part of actual writing the script^^
    idk the languages you state, but scripting isn't my strenght anyway (just enough to mod .lua and some easyer formatted .cs files)
    .csv is not really suited for that (or my rick's .csv editor just haven't the features^^), but could be easaly converted into more usefull formats for the calculation part i guess :)
    the conceptioning of balancing formula needs to be written down somewhere - will make some research about it (actually it is part of game development, so there has to be information somewhere!)

well, the process is always the same - but never perfect^^

that is indeed a bit complicated, if there is not already a tool to visualize the relation between different values, we should skip that and stay with the easyer but abstract part! (theres concept drawing software available that can help in visualizing the calculation concept - will try them out and make a suggestion later)

but for all of that we should made a new topic (the best is you do, i'm not such a good writer and you have already made some thoughts more about it ;-)