Script changes for 2.8.1

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I dunno about the fixation on walls. It looks to me that you thought of something that prevents a win and wanted to cut that down without thinking about the influencing factors. Walls are mandatory at times because infantry can't do very much vs vehicles after a certain point. I've had a crapton of good games with wall defences, though, so I don't think it's the wall itself that is the problem.

Maybe the problem is all this AOE type weaponry that kicks infantry ass, without the tanks having to carry specific anti-infantry weapons (MG's) to actually combat them. So they get their anti-everything HE and don't have to compromise for it. Nice.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That reminds me, why is he cannon 60 weight? Ranged is 70, most 2 slot stuff is 70.

3. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Such Damage to self in close combat, much heat, so light.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

i wonder what games security is playing where a losing team puts up a good wall defense against the winning team and it ISNT fun. i say this because one of the funnest rounds i played was preventing nukes tanks on canyon from advancing by our team placing walls all over the bottom right of the map. we held them off from advancing for a while.
    we ended by losing because they got arty but that doesnt mean it wasn't fun to at least try and defend.

Ikalx likes this.
  5. Lazybum

repairing walls forever isn't fun to me. Nor is shooting endlessly into a hoard of tanks either as a gren or tank and hoping they are dumb enough not to run away in time. From my perspective if people aren't moving around and staying basically the same spot this sounds like a boring round to me. The lack of progress, the feeling you are actually making headway, is important to me. For me one of the funnest rounds I can remember was doing 3 base swaps on duststorm, and I'm not the hugest fan of dust either. This may sound like going in circles and not making progress, but at the moment, when your pushing into their main and killing it or even defending and failing progress is happening and that's great.

6. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I could go either way on the walls change. The truth of the matter is both arguments are correct: walls can lead to both boring games without progress and intense defensive battles against vehicles. Everybody has seen both of these situations. The goal should be to mitigate the boring games without progress, and this is just a solution that would lessen the fun defensive battles hopefully in favor of more consistently fun games. And I want to stress that in my opinion, consistency is very important! It's easier to invest time in a game that you know you will enjoy than a game which you might potentially enjoy.

One thing's for sure: with the change it will definitely be a different game. The question for me is - will it be a better game?

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

its not really striking the middle ground though when its halving the hp in half

8. OuNin

OuNin Member

if you're going to nerf walls against heavy tanks you need to start looking at heavy ammo counts and make enemy ammo crates destructible

9. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Question and feedback on 2.81: I was playing in a BE heavy yesterday. Got hit front side, pretty close to direct from what looked like UML Salvo while I was running Regen - it stripped every plate of armor off the front of the tank. So although I thought Regen was the new decent armor, if you can't absorb one volley it is not good. So I switch to Capacitive, took a volley and it handled it alot better, but now I overheat and can't move. I was an engineer with coolant upgrade and running coolant engine - and I couldn't move. Insta-overheat. Died after one more volley. Tried it again to make sure there wasn't a scout sticky on me and same thing happened.

So BE tanks are long distance only weapons? NF rules the up close battle?

Also BE is still unable to carry near as much weaponry as NF, so while NF can carry full armor, dual slavo and HE canon, or HEMG, BE only gets dual HE canon to compete against HE. Bump the weight limit on BE by 40 now that you made HEMG cost 40, previously I asked for 30.

Can we spin the dice again and randomly choose more script numbers and see where we land ?

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

A comment for JGF about regen being the new decent armor: the whole point is that there shouldn't be a new decent armor. All the armor should be viable and have weaknesses, ideally. I've heard players say good things about regen this update but I suspect they don't know what they're on about. Also, capacitive as I'm sure you saw in the update notes now takes heat from damage, perhaps it's taking too much heat from the damage?

My feedback: I've played enough of this update to weigh in some now, albeit most of my late game knowledge is from the BE perspective.

Dual Rail CN (Rail Gun now?) is quite good on BE heavies again with the buff - takes down buildings really fast and if you aim well is quite damaging to NF heavies. Paired with adv. coolant and a good driver (e.g. me) will find themselves doing considerable work with one heavy. Took down significant portions of enemy bases this way and my first go at it netted me 14 kills on NF heavies for my one. Second go only netted me 6 but them's the breaks. For reference 14 kills was using absorbant and 6 was using composite.

All the armors seem usable now, slightly below par with respect to how the past 'one decent armor' system felt but that's probably a good thing. Absorbant and composite were both easy to use and maintain but didn't feel overpowered. Didn't get a chance to run with regen as much as I would have liked so perhaps it's not the best but a regen armor is situationally good anyways.

I predict adv. coolant might get researched a lot when things settle down again, never had any trouble overheating with it even at full rails output and moving around. Pair that with absorbant being usable and we might see another run on the chemistry tree.

Walls being destructible from tanks isn't actually so bad so far - made a difference on money and to some extent bootybay which are both maps where that would typically be a major factor of the game.

Final thoughts: UML Salvo is really really painful for BE heavies somehow. I don't think it was touched in this update but perhaps in a past one? I suspect it is somehow better than Rail CN which seems like the equivalent for this update, but I haven't looked at the numbers and that's all from personal experience.

Final final thoughts edited in: homing salvo needs a nerf very badly. Maybe I was mistaking it for UML salvo previously, the beeping kinda goes in the background when you're in a field of turrets. It is way too good.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I already have a minor buff for Regen in store.
    Regen isn't/won't be a good option against burst weapon, you should've complained to your comm about this.

As for Capacitive, I am fairly sure you skipped quite a few things. You can't go insta-overheat with 0.06 DamageToHeat.
    If you took 400 damage(aka 3 plates of capacitive), that's 24 heat for you. Not little but definitely not "insta-overheat"

No.

You do realize that if I give BE heavy tank 40 max weight, NF&BE heavy tanks will have almost the same "available weight", right?
    Do you see the problem with that?

You are just being a dick here.

12. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

Ya capacitive was the issue. Even turrets will keep it overheated. I got into a fight. Salvo barrage overheated it, one turret kept it overheated. It's quite frustrating sitting in a heavy tank and unable to move, knowing all you can do is hit the delete key. Regen is paper to missiles, so BE is fucked there. Capacitive will instantly overheat to ML's so BE is fucked there. BE has less capability to carry weapons, while NF can armor up, carry quite a bit more weight than BE. BE canon/ER/Rails/Plasma do not match the power of UML Salvo, guided or even homing ML. We should have won in the game I just played on Slaughtered. But it was obvious that three NF tanks vs four BE tanks, NF would win. I tried to counter with single UML Salvo and ER, which did OK, but not nearly as good as NF dual Salvo and HEMG, whilest they carried the same amount of armor fighting against 2 weapons vs their 3.

Coolant is not good since it is too slow, and doesn't cool very much. Retreating with coolant costs you a tank. Gas is ok if you don't stop. Funny that the engine that was known for torque is now known for not having any torque. Not much difference between Gas and Fission except fission is faster, costs less, and cools faster when moving. BIO is worth looking into. Especially if you choose capacitive armor.

So on the plus side, there is more things you must research. If NF gets it all researched before BE overtakes them, then NF will win. BE is stronger early game, NF is stronger late game, only because BE needs less to research. Mech:Gas/Compo, Chem:HEMG/HE Canon and Mech:Meds/Heavies is all you need for early game win of BE. NF would do: Any engine, but most likely Mech:Gas/Comp, Chem:HEMG/HE Canon then UML or after Mech:Meds/Heavies. So it's about a 3 minute longer research cycle to get a superior heavy.

I need more time with rails - they look good vs buildings but not so good vs tanks. Heat was certainly overdone in this version. But it is a welcome variable. And the above research is not the only option - so that is good. Plasma Canon plus Bio ML could be good, especially if NF choose capacitive armor.

I also noticed turrets can be destroyed more quickly now, but you can put down more of them. They don't seem to be much of a deterrent. So rushing past the farm of turrets will be a tactic again.

13. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I think heat-wise, WE WILL ADAPT. The issue is everyone has a feel for how much they can run/fire before they have to slowdown/stop firing or move. You get into a rythm without looking at the gauges. A change upsets that until it is relearned. Heat variable is a good thing - but it certainly favors NF ML, and not BE canons.

14. Lazybum

Really? It's not terribly different from last patch and it was rarely gotten last patch for good reasons. It's just heavy, it weighs 100. Nf can't put on any other weapons unless they drop down to like 4 plates a side or something. I'm just saying nf should be doing more with uml or guided for just damage. Or is that .3 second lockon time really make that much difference?

I think i need to play a few more rounds, the things people say in this thread are kinda baffling to me.

15. complete_

complete_ lamer

are you guys seriously not researching reactive?
    have you seen its stats

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Turret overheating you? I think I personally witnessed that, you still got away in the end and you tanked like 15 missiles, You should be thankful.
    I like how you don't mention the fact that you did survive that.
    Stick with your "instant-overheat", I am done with explanation.

NF and BE heavy tank shouldn't have the same available weight, for obvious reasons.
    You ignored skill difference, there wasn't any skilled driver on BE.

I just made other paths more viable.

As for "NF stronger late game, BE stronger early game.", here is my comment :

17. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

The problem is that the homing salvo may do less damage but it hits very consistently from mid range, and cover is harder to come by what with walls being destructible (the only real way to dodge it as opposed to UML salvo, in which case just veer slightly to the left unless they're up in your grill).

On the bright side, two engineers is enough to stop a dual rails and nuke tank by building up and maintaining walls - albeit it's much harder from the engineers' standpoint.

You know that's not true.

I know, let's be a huge condescending ******! It worked so well for all the previous scripters, why change anything? -_-

I completely agree that NF is stronger late game, but I feel like early game is fairly even.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Like I said, homing missiles(salvo and especially single) are not the best in dogfights, you can easily land(waste) 1~2 clips on wrong sides, you only have 7 to begin with.
    They are the best when you are chasing, in fact, I really only killed you guys because you guys were somehow running.
    As a bonus for that Slaughtered round, salvo homing is pretty fucking slow, that means capacitive is even better against salvo.
    Agreeing to something that's not so true, just to make myself look NOT a condescending douche? No thanks.

19. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I like to respond in kind, so learning time for our lucky friend!

Did you know? You can disagree with things without being a condescending douche! It's amazing, like a whole brand new world! If you're having difficulty with the concepts, that's okay, we don't think any less of retards.

edit: I went too far... my bad. Several people have told me so as well. I was trying to be a condescending douche and I think I did it too well. Sorry, Security.

20. Sprayer2708

Sprayer2708 Member

Sticky Bombs... to NF mediums... need 3 to kill. Talk about high risk no reward.

Don't worry poster above me, I think you're a condescending douche even when you're not trying to be one.