Scrapping vehicles on a repair pad for a (partial?) refund

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

This was mentioned by someone else in another thread, and several people thought it should have its own post.

It'd be nice if you could 'sell' vehicles on a repair pad. Partially, this would help with jeep spam, and partially it would help you upgrade to a new chassis... but neither of those are the real reason why I think this is good.

The real issue is that many servers have fairly low vehicle limits relative to their number of players (especially now, with huge 64-man servers.) Those vehicle limits are usually full. When a new chassis rolls out, my only option to 'upgrade' is to deliberately get killed... which means someone else will probably build the tank that replaces mine. So, realistically, I have no incentive to commit suicide, of course...

That wouldn't be a problem, so much, without vehicle limits. With vehicle limits it becomes a huge problem, because now I have an incentive to keep my LT alive (and wasting a vehicle slot) even when we have meds / heavies, enough res to build them, and are at the vehicle limit.

In effect, if I'm a "WOO TANKS" sort of player, the game is encouraging me to cripple my team by playing defensively (and, probably, accomplishing relatively little) using a weaker tank that is wasting a slot better devoted to a strong tank, because if I lose it out on the field I'll possibly end up with no tank at all.

If players could sell tanks at a repair pad (and the comm built one near the VF), this might be reduced a bit. Maybe.

2. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Maybe you should be able to switch the kind of tank at the repair pad.

3. zenarion

zenarion Member

Recycling is good.
    Especially with the nanotech stuff we have going on on our standard issue Combat Ipods in this game.
    Will be handy when you got 1 jeep too much to be able to build heavies, so recycling it is a viable tactic. Could also be helpful with economy management.

Consider if it is useful to rotate the vehicles, instead of repairing them.
    Let's say I drive off with my Medium Tank, and hit some mines. Is it better for me to go and recycle the tank, and build a new one, instead of repairing?
    Good thing to have such a choice, for tactical purposes.

Also consider the rage some noobs will cause when they recycle their tanks, in a wrong situation.

Please implement this, since Empires is all about Strategy and Rage-inducing.

4. Omega_K2

Omega_K2 Member

lol it needs the dissolver effect as soon a vehicle is sold XD

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's been suggested before. It's a good idea, but how do you "unspawn" a vehicle? Especially if the other alternative is to just sit on the repair pad in an exploded state and wait to disappear lol.

Again, it's a good idea...it always has been, but even more so now.

6. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Quiet omega. We can create some ents for that.

And yes, recycling tanks for 70% of their worth. Lower-Armor tank (damaged) sells4less.

*Edit

Ikalx, it might be entirely possible to delete it with ent_remove. iono

7. o_O

o_O Member

How about that sweet effect from HL2 when you shoot stuff with the combine assault rifle plasma grenade thing. The target turns all glowy and evaporates.

Anyway, on servers that have both tank limits and stupid people, I am always finding empty tanks all around the map. This would be a much more logical suggestion then just driving them into the water.

Also, it would (sortof) reward people for keeping their vehicles alive. Like the OP said they could go sell their light tanks to pay for a shiny new medium if resources were the issue, or sell their tank and run strait to the VF if the vehicle limit was the issue.

Also it would help with arties. When those are researched you either end up with 0 or way to many, but they are just too expensive to go drown them and make a tank instead.

8. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

you could get a 'tank ticket', that stays with you until you build your new tank, or for 2 minutes, whichever comes first.

that way you wont have ppl get snaked at the vf when they were doing something that is actually good strategy.

this is a good idea, more stuff for the repair pad to do is always good imo.

9. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

They should not sell for less because the repair pad repairs it anyways, so theres no point except for like 30 seconds of wait time

10. thetim

thetim Member

Just wanted to bring this one up again. Recycling for res makes so much more sense than having to do a suicide run. This is particularly apparent on emp_money, where the cost of the tank is irrelevant, but preserving tickets can be important.

11. spellman23

spellman23 Member

A good idea.

Add some new coding to allow vehicle removal.

12. Nickierv

Nickierv Member

If nothing else, add a button that automatically strips a tank of weapons/armor to the repair pad.

13. willvette

willvette Member

I think that the vehicle should drive into the VF, and a window should pop-up asking if you want to sell the vehicle, "yes" or "no". if "yes" than the vehicle will disappear and everybody in the vehicle would appear in front of the buying screen, if "no" nothing happens. It will only do this if the person driving, the vehicle, and the VF are on the same team.