Scout Tactics

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by Lazydog, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

The scout is actually surprisingly useful, in the right hands. So I decided to share some of my favorite tactics as a scout.

The Ninja Rax
    A barracks behind enemy lines is one of the most easiest ways to turn the tides of either a stalemate or if your team is slowly losing ground. The best locations for a secret barracks is in the middle of your enemies frontlines and their main base. Because you're a scout, it's relatively easy for you to sneak across turret infested territory with hide and get behind the enemy's forward barracks. Since most of your enemies would be infantry spawn in their forward barracks the chances of them turning around to run back to their main base is slim. This tactic is harder when your team have already killed the enemy rax, since now the barracks you are trying to place is in the direct path of the enemy. If you have a mic, tell your teammates to stay away and distract the enemy by putting pressure on the frontlines without killing the rax. Once it's done, switch to engi and fortify the position, or continue to sab the nearby enemy structures.

The Sabotage
    A well placed scout next to the enemy forward barracks can mean the difference between whether or not they are going to keep it alive. While the rest of your team focus fire on the barracks you have a chance to rush up to it and sabotage it over and over. If you are feeling even more cruel, toss a few smoke grenades into the rax itself and melee away at any helpless infantry trying to find their way out. Communicate with the rest of your team which building they should focus their fire on. Repeat as necessary for the rest of the buildings. Since the buildings are under fire by the rest of your team, the enemy probably won't spend time looking for a hidden scout near their rax.

The Spotter
    Sometimes your team is going for last ditch tank rush against the enemy comm. You have two great assets at your disposal: the binoculars and sticky stun grenades. With their binculars you can spot the comm and paint it as a target for much longer than a regular spot. Once your team reaches the location, you can sticky the comm and prevent him from moving for a few precious moments that your team needs to surround the comm.

The Destruction
    The scout can take down many outlying unguarded enemy refineries without alerting the enemy to what is happening. This is great for your team to follow up and capture refineries without the enemy com immediately knowing that he's short a few refineries.

2. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

lol I stopped reading right there.

by the time you manage to get behind enemy lines as a scout, you probably either could have sprinted there as an engineer or blown a hole in the front line as a gren squad leader, spamming mortar and arty strikes.

3. Demented

Demented Member

The scout is actually surprisingly useful...

...When your team is already winning.

4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

scout surely can be usefull in some situations but overall he performs worse than other classes

5. o_O

o_O Member

Sab is surprisingly powerful because you can just do it over and over and over again on an enemy rax. If they come looking for you it takes people away from repairing and defending, if they just sit there repairing it they will run out of calculator before you run out of sab.

The problem is the scout can't really do anything else, and has a sniper rifle.

6. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

meh, say what you will, but I've seen a definite turn in the tide of battle whenever a scout pulls off one of the first two tactics, and even the third.

If a scout manages to get a rax up behind enemy lines (especially on say, Crossroads), you've just weakened the enemy. You can cut off their vehicle reinforcements from the front lines, or just attack their main.

If a scout manages to get to the enemy forward rax while the rest of the team attacks, all enemies spawning there would be at half health. Not to mention the enemy needs to waste more guys as engineers to keep the rax alive allow for your team to overwhelm the enemy.

If a scout manages to sticky stun the enemy com, it gives the engineers time to lay down walls without getting run over.

I would argue that have one or two scouts (and no more than that. I agree having more than that would be a hindrance) while your team is losing can make a difference. Basically any time when the enemy is too busy to care about a scout is perfect for a scout to help out the team.

7. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

You forgot this..

The Suck
    Join an empty squad and prone outside of start rax with hide and scout rifle.

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Really the scout can be used in 2 ways -provoking rage quit on massive faggotry- and the more unique and tactic i just thought about - a crapload of scouts run behind enemy base and E-build a rax - I gotta try that one day.

9. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

Actually I also wanted to try this at some point (a variation of your tactic):

a scout with squad hide and a bunch of engis. Rush past the enemy and build a rax right behind the enemy.

10. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

*taps nose* good thinking Lazydog.

11. zenarion

zenarion Member

I was playing BE on emp_duststorm, when at the round start, a shitload of scouts appeared over the hills in the middle, and sniped the fuck out of half of our team. It then took the NF about 10 minutes or less to lock us in the ruins and win.

12. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

1. Press b
    2. Select Engineer
    3. type kill in console
    4. mouse1

13. Empty

Empty Member

In the next patch hopefully sabotage smoke will make a return, and you'll be able to tell when the enemy teams been crippled by a scout and you know when to rush.

On the other hand it'll make the enemy team know much faster they've been sabbed!

14. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

Hahaha you guys are all jealous of scout's awesome power, and you jsut make fun of it because you hate when scouts sabotage your important buildings and you lose.

15. Empty

Empty Member

The only thing a scout has ever done matchI've played is slow a game down that should have ended.

16. MiamiHeat87

MiamiHeat87 Member

I hate scouts. Scouts are good.. but only in a maxed out server and there is only one scout on the team that knows where to do some real damage.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

hide rush with engys?

honestly ,an entire squad of engys would

1) have no problems with turrets because that is what you use mass hide for on classics
    2) be easily spotted by anyone because 25% is not much and spotting a single moving target is quite easy for most humans (only a blind dude wouldn't spot a whole bunch of dudes moving)

it would be easier for single engy to sneak past and mass rev/get a ninja rax faster

also about scunting entire enemy team:

bad map desing is the part of the problem, but you could simply get some early vehs going on since campers would probably not care anyway :P

18. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

Scout speed + Commander = rape.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Well my tactic was still awesome because ninja scouts are ninjas, and thats what they do, they ninja around and e-build like bitch on acid.

20. Lazydog

Lazydog Member

Have you ever tried getting an engineer past the middle on crossroads if the enemy already secured it?

Honestly, I'm not good enough to do that (especially if it's spammed to hell with lvl3 mg turrets.)

So yes, scout hiding can be useful in situations like that.

It seems that the empires community still generally consider scouts completely useless. By all means continue to think that, it makes my job a lot easier when I ask the comm for a ninja rax right next to your main base. :)