Savage for free?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Wereaser, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

2. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

painfull - 25.8 KBS!!!

3. Simon

Simon Banned

is it good?

4. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Hey look another MMO with magic, spells and trolls...wizards, paladins, elfs and glowing level 94 swords!

Almost the ENTIRE MMO market is comprised of 'magic' games. So far the only NON magic MMO I have seen ( and currently play ) is Eve online.

I think everyone is trying to ride on Diablo 2's success...or WoW's.

5. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Uh, check yourself there, PHASER. Savage isn't a MMO. It's an online RPG/FPS. And it isn't "magic, spells and trolls...wizards, paladins, elfs and glowing level 94 swords!" It's neolithic man versus evil beasties.

6. PHASER8

PHASER8 Member

Hmm...first glance looked like another friggin MMO to me :P

Personally....I hate magic related things.

7. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I thought this was a rts fps hybrid, made after the succes of ns. I could be wrong ofc, smoking some wrong stuff maybe. Never tried it out tho, might give it a shot and become a catapult whore ;p

8. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Um. Be sure to actually have information about the MMO market before you make sterotypical bland statements about it, Phaser ^^;;

Space Cowboy, a Korean-based english-translated game from the same people who did Flyff is an MMO where you fly in a ship (NOT in space) fighting creatures, and upgrading your weopons and such. PVP is pretty sweet since it's a dogfight.

Gunz: The Duel is another MMO where you run, jump, wall-run and shoot in 3rd person against other people in frantic battles in cities and buildings. You can upgrade your armour or weopons or just your look :D

Those are both VERY popular games, and neither has to do with magic or lvl 60 shamens ^^

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I'd like to point out that the idea behind NS wasn't completely original. It was discussed in public in some game developement magazine, before NS came to light. Besides Battlezone(referring to the new Battlezone) had very similiar concept in way back in 1998. So I wouldn't go around poking my finger at everything that has RTS/FPS on them and say "NS copy". ;)

My dowload died yesterday(at 50%, before that it came at 24kBps :(, I guess they had to downgrade the speed due to monstorous demand), I'll try to get it during the week and see what it's like. I remember reading an article about it and it seemed like fun, although Ctrl+Alt+Del had a joke about how you do everything by beating them. :D

10. Chahk

Chahk Member

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

yes ofc i know battlezone :D, I just think I read something about this game being inspired by ns, why I said "after the succes of ns", microsoft released urban assault back in 98, which is also an fps rts.

12. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

I played two games of Savage last night. It's very fast paced, but fun. I haven't figured the blocking out yet, thus I'm getting killed a bit too easily on melee. Also I've only played on the best side. :p Damn the biggest class is BIG! We are talking about a giant here. :) It also runs very fast on my poor computer so I guess this is the alternative I've been looking for... For those days when the one-hit-kill-scout-rifle and 15"-arty-barrel-in-your-ass becomes too much for me(which happens more and more often).

13. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Tribes forever.

14. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Didn't the free version run out of CD-Keys in just a day or two after the release?

15. Chahk

Chahk Member

No, Tribes 1 has been freeware since mid-2004, no CD Keys needed. Unfortunately Sierra has shut down the Tribes master servers in late 2005, so you'll need to use the community-made ones that can be found here.

P.S. Er... I hope Niarbeht was talking about Starsiege: Tribes.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I've played savage 1 quite a bit; not really that great a game...

17. Niarbeht

Niarbeht Member

Yuppers. Starsiege: Tribes.

Had more players than copies sold for quite a while. Way too easily pirated a game :-P

But I had a legal copy! I have the box! And the manual! Go me!

*cheers*

18. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

and there was much rejoicing

19. Chahk

Chahk Member

I beta-tested that gem. Still have the developers' hand-burned CDs of several closed beta releases. Ah... those were the good times.

20. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

:P Would it be worth a try(Tribes I)? I might give it a go. :) I love games from almost all genres and ages(yes, even the text adventures). Games that were good back then usually are still good. Gameplay is something that hasn't evolved much since 1997(especially in FPS genre and turn based strategy games).

As for Savage there's a mod called SEP, which is supposed to give a lot of enchanments to the gameplay and graphics on it's future versions. Next version seemed to feature 128 player servers and other fun stuff(current servers are 64 players max, which is hell of a fun when they're full). The engine Savage is running on seems to be quite good on taking large player loads and lags rarely even on full 64 player servers.

Melee is a bit hard in Savage, but I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Humans rely more on ranged weaponry so if you don't get hang of the melee immediately I suggest playing on human team.