Salvo Homing

Discussion in 'Game Play' started by -=SIP=-, Nov 4, 2010.

1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

History of Salvo Homing:

< 2.25
    - Lock on time up to about 8 seconds
    - Damage 4x40
    - Reload time 5 seconds

Very rare used weapon. People complained about the lock on time.

- Lock on time max. 3 seconds

People detected that the weapon is useful now. But nobody complained that it was overpowered. General balance was fine.

- Damage 4x43

People started to research electrical more often because of the buffed reactive armor and buffed salvo homing. At the end of 2.26 this was the standard research path for NF.

- Reload time 10 seconds

Reactive armor is still popular but nearly nobody uses salvo homing, because the damage over time is too small. They were replaced by guided missiles, which were buffed for unknown reason.

- 3 slot weapon

???

What is your experience with Salvo Homing? Have you won a round because of Salvo Homing in 2.28?

For me the 2.25 values were best (for salvo homing and reactive armor). I would only reduce the damage slightly to 35 to balance that more players are knowing now how to use this weapon in combat.

2. Demented

Demented Member

I've never found it overpowering fighting with or against it, except perhaps when I am in a jeep.

3. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I'll probably bring the reload time back down again, even though it's 3 slot.

EDIT: Set it to 6 seconds. Remember, you can still mount another homing ML on the tank.

Also, the issue is that dual salvo homing means that it will always deal 8x43 damage to one side of a tank. Effectively, 1 salvo would rip through 4 plates of composite, with the 2nd salvo then ripping through the rest of the tank, at a push requiring 3. Effectively, a no-skill long distance 100% hit weapon. It also locked down bases, by stopping APCs/Jeeps leaving, due to 8 missiles ALWAYS taking down a jeep or APC.

I don't have issues with salvos being on mediums, but I do have issues with being able to mount 2 at the same time.

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Make a 3slot salvo and a 2 slot salvo?

2 slot shoots 4x30dmg(just a thrown in number)
    3 slot shoots 2x43dmg with shorter reload?

5. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

its also possibly a reason why mediums are seldomly researched. a medium would be lucky to live through a dual homing salvo.

6. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Meds are generally a poor research choice because not enough people know how to use them together to kill a heavy. Essentially:
    1 heavy > 1 med but
    2-3 meds (depending on the research) > 1 heavy
    The majority of people solo tank, so as a comm, I want to put them in the best solo tank I can research, which is the heavy.

As for homing salvo, I'd personally like to see it with less of a lock on/reload time but also lower damage/missile. In essence, its easy to use but doesn't do much damage per salvo.

7. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

That's why heavies take like 180 or 240 more seconds than meds to research in 2.29 and cost of weapons (main cost of the tank in 2.28) has been decreased by 50%.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I'm skeptical that this would solve the problem, since it doesn't directly attack the lack of vehicle teamwork issue. If you made the research time for heavies something huge like 400-600 secs longer than meds, then that might work, but then heavies would become underused.

Maybe a better method is to make mediums a prerequisite for heavy tanks, kind of like how you had to research AFV/LT MKII's? It would certainly make meds much more common without seriously reducing the incentive to get heavies.

9. Krazer

Krazer Member

I've always thought that it should be this way.

Although I know people who disagree, because getting mediums should be a strategy with risks/rewards etc. And other valid reasons.

However I still stand that mediums should be a pre-requisite so that tech progress at a steady rate instead of making the huge leap from lights to heavys.

It will also add a little bit more variety instead of going straight for 3 slot weapons. Rails etc. (Is salvo 3 slot in 2.29? if not disregard.)

Mediums are just fkn fun. :D

Edit: Apologies to OP for being off-topic.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

seriously how dumb someone has to be to not get how to use salvo. its the simplest to use weapon in the entire game and should deal very little damage because of that imo.

also UML > salvo, end ...

11. FN198

FN198 Member

screw salvo, shorten the reload on homing missiles.

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

One of the very largest decisions you can make in an Empires game is whether to go meds or heavies. At least, in the earlier 2.21 it was a fair risk to do either. These days heavies are a safe bet, but still I don't want to take the choice away because that effectively lowers most of your strategy to tree-tech only.

The commander does need some pimping, now he's not an OP attack-order monkey, and hopefully that will give him a little more influence on da battlefield.

/offtopic

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  13. Deadpool

Deadpool SVETLANNNAAAAAA

Anything prefaced with 'homing' has bugged me for a while. It's been either OP noskill guaranteed damage (salvo) or too weak too slow fucking dammit reload already upgraded/standard.

Homing as a concept needs to be looked at, here's why:

There aren't enough line of sight blockers on many maps --> homing rapes
    Guaranteed damage for one side and pure skill shot weapons for the other sucks
    It's too easy to use
    It locks on to whatever the f it wants

I have few suggestions, but imo any homing missile needs some element of skill introduced. Some might argue that this sounds retarded, but, idgaf.

Maybe it locks on too easily, and making the lock on spot smaller would nerf it and add skill. Doing this, the effective range of the lock could be increased, and perhaps allow you to lock on to your choice of tank in a fight rather than whatever is closest in a group of enemy vehicles.

14. TheLiberalElitist

TheLiberalElitist Member

I usually go for Bio MG / homing salvo(NF heavy tank), letting the salvo tear through one side of plate, then pinning the enemy tank and spamming bio MG until there dead. I had neglected guided in the past, because I figured it would be too much to manage, but after being forced to swap guided UML for homing salvo, I find I have a lot more control of where I want to actually hit the target making shielding the side of ones tank less effective.

IMO I think the reload time for homing is a little high, but I like that it makes people use guided. would love to try guided UML/and rails on BE heavy.

15. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

1 Salvo/Homing Salvo and 1 UML is not bad. that's what i use nowadays to offshoot the loading time of the homing salvo. of course it wasnt as ownage as dual homing salvo with the old reload time.

"would love to try guided UML/and rails on BE heavy."
    i dislike using dual rails for some reason.. i really love it when the commander research both missiles and rails for heavies.. i dont see anything wrong with homing salvo or UML and rails/ext cannon.. besides the extra research time and resource needed. anyways, i rather use ext cannon these days over rails.