Running steam thru a proxy server

Discussion in 'General' started by Mydarbin, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

Hi guys... I just moved into college and i now see how much of a bitch it is to get things to work with all of there security... With what i know, i got my mail and browsers working, but i dont know networking well enough to configure something like steam. Does anyone here know some common sulutions for running steam thru a proxy server?

2. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

You can't. Your firewall must allow ports listed on steampowered.com site.

3. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

Damn! Is there any way i can at least log in so that i can LAN it up?

4. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

You don't need STEAM. Just run the HL2.exe that exists in each directory of the games.

For example, the HL2.exe that runs Empires is the same that runs CSS. Check THIS thread for more info about how steam launches games.

5. Mydarbin

Mydarbin Member

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but this might help a lot of people that were in my situation. Theres a service called HTTP: Tunnel http://http-tunnel.com that takes all your requests thru there server, encrypts them, sends them through port 80 of the proxy server, then your client decrypts them. Soon they are reportedly adding UDP packet support, so i might get to play empires again soon :D

i can at least log in to steam now and download updates. World of warcraft reportedly works, along with a handful of other games. Bittorrent also works. its under 5$ a month.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006