RTS tickets

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by mcthugg, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

A lot of RTS game base the amount of infantry off the amount of barracks.
    Why not Empires. Since 0 rax = a ticket bleed make 1 rax = o bleed and anymore then one rax make a + 10 per minute.

2. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

that sounds nifty... I don't see a downside to it, except map balance issues.

3. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

1. Spam Barracks
    2. ?
    3. Profit!

4. ViroMan

filled in that blank for you.

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This idea is retarded. The 0 rax = bleed already exists anyway.

6. ViroMan

He didn't say there should be a ticket bleed at no rax; he is saying that since 0 rax already means bleed, a positive number of rax should mean + flow of tickets instead of bleed.

As I said this would lead to map balance issues of course. You would have to start maps at say 40 tickets and the barax gives + flow of tickets. Different maps can have a different flow rate.

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

shit suggestion. God.

8. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Please tell people why their ideas are stupid. If you absolutely cannot spend more than 10 seconds posting, you're welcome to say "This does not jive with my vision for Empires." We would have to agree because you're the gameplay guy and you have to make artistic choices like that.

Even if Trickster did like this, it would still be a terrible idea. It's bad form to drill the opposing team into the ground. Sapping their tickets while buffing the winning team is just not cool. Tickets are already flawed. They need to be scraped, not bandaged.

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

You could get like 16-20 barracks for the cost of decent heavy research (after you already have med platforms).

10. ImSpartacus

I would worry more about the late game. What happens after a team is pinned in their base and both teams have dwindling tickets. Money aside, the winning team has the space to build a ton of raxes and win the ticket game.

I think Empires could do this if maps had a handful of rax build points (a la ref points) and each rax provided a ticket at intervals just like refs. Although then maps would have to start with 0 tickets (just like you start with 0 res).

Perhaps that could be a new gametype like how ZPS has zps and zpo maps (among others) that have different rules.

But then we come back to the "Let's fix the game that we have right now, k?" argument...

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

we would see games filled with barracks, barracks everywhere, and every new player would think it's retarded with the barracks spam. like who would need an apc anymore since map control is based on how much space of barracks tunnels (like armory tunnels) there are.

Also ImSpartacus is the new suggestions grinch, true story.

12. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Wouldn't really have a spam of rax. Cuz placement space is limited on most maps. Plus the building limit. It's just to me it seems empires is more 90% fps and something like this could bring it back a little to the RTS side.
    Even if it was a +1 ticket per minute per rax.

13. ImSpartacus

<3

It's definitely not limited in the late game when one team is pinned in their base. This would just ensure that the losing team never has a chance, down from the fucking one in a million chance they currently possess.

And 1 ticket/min is a joke. If you can get the same gameplay result, it's better to have a handful of mechanics that each strongly shape the game than a dozen that barely do anything individually. This would turn into a tiny mechanic that rarely affects the game, but only frustrates noobs when it does. Let's try and let people learn the game in under a month, k?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  14. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

1 ticket/min x say 4 rax x 20 min = 80 tickets.
    Loosing teams never have a chance. The +tickets for more rax would push people to expand more instead of turtling.. Why do people say Empires is complicated ? this is a simple game and easy to understand.

15. ImSpartacus

A ticket a minute isn't enough to change anything:
    And if you didn't get it the second time around, I'll just use the catch-all "Tickets are broken and no bandaid can fix them."

I think the community files that under "Things that need changed."

That would be another thing on the "Things that need changed" list.

Res already serves this purpose. Turtling is not on the "Things that need changed" list.

16. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

So what is the "Things that need changed list".

17. ImSpartacus

Don't you be probing into my witty comments! I'll have none of this!

I just made it up to be a smartass. In general, those are areas that I have noticed as topics on the more frequented suggestion threads of late.

18. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Your comment was witty. Maybe all the devs should get together and make list of the what direction they want Empires to go in. So that way instead of thousands of random suggestions it would give people an idea of what kind of suggestions the devs might be willing to consider.
    But having more rax = more tickets I feel is still a great idea. Map control should have a greater reward. I hate coms that turtle and say "we will win this on tickets" to me that is a pussy move and is not realistic. Good example....well shitty example the map EMP_snowstorm. Where people put the CV in the bunker and just bleed the other teams tickets. That is a pussy move that would be fixed with my idea.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  19. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

If I explained in every thread, I'd spend the rest of my life doing it. And you'd all get lazy. But I will, nevertheless, explain why this is retarded.

Firstly, however shit they are, tickets exist as a mechanic to end games. The idea that you could negate that by spamming raxes, doesn't even need an explanation as to why it's so stupid. Secondly, this would increase the slippery slope by giving incredible advantages to the winning team, virtually allowing them to generate enough tickets to push without any fear of ticket drain, crushing the team which has to play more conservatively. Thirdly, implementing a feature purely to add some sort of "RTS" aspect is a poor base for implementing an idea to begin with. Fourthly, fucking rax spam, do you have any idea how retarded that would look?

To be quite honest, I could list more shit, but if this isn't self explanatory, then you have 1 too many chromosomes.

20. mcthugg

mcthugg Banned

Trickster I agree and disagree with you. Yes rewarding the winning team is kind of a shitty idea...realistic but still shitty. But at the same time when you have a team that just gets rolled from the start of a round so they turtle. That kills servers. It would be better if the winning team had the extra tickets to just keep rushing in and finish off the loosing team.