revive timer

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by REX, Jan 22, 2008.

1. REX

REX Member

Ok games some times go on and on. We have the sudden death mode now, but one of the thing that stall a lot is revive. Long games are good but revive sometimes feel a bit cheap and strange.

I suggest that when you get shot you have something like "1min" to get revived or you die (maybe 30 sek for a headshot). Also only have squad rev function within or a bit more than squad leader radius so if you break formation and run a mile into enemy territory you are all alone no magic teleport to save you. This might also keep squad together and create a bit of no one is left behind attitude :confused: or maybe not im sometimes amased at the amount of new people that try to throw engy nades at infantry.

Now before you go OMFG I LIKE IT HOW IT IS. remember that this applies to the enemy too so you might have a chance of killing them for good.

2. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

I think even 1 min may be too short, its not overly easy to revive as it is and encouraging respawning isnt overly needed is it? That said it is a decent length of time, maybe 2 min? would take a lot of balancing to get it right.

I'd prefer to 1. have people spawn with no ammo (or ammo leak over time so if you revive in 1 sec of dying then its still as it was) 2. squad revive only work within a fairly large radius (also stops teleporting without neutering it for squad work). The ammo reduction would mean that if people get revived then they have to go and restock before taking an active part and for engineers means they cant themselves revive people instantly.

3. Kralnor

Kralnor Member

Jesus Christ, 2 minutes? Take out a full APC or 2, and you've almost eradicated the opposition's fighting force for enough time to do some damage.

A lot can happen in 2 minutes.

Also, I'm not sure increasing the time is a good idea. It may not be the same game, but people in TF2 bitch about having a 15second respawn timer.

Perhaps if the Revive was implemented a bit differently, GUI, perhaps?

4. WaVe

WaVe Member

wtf seismic nades pwn infantry.

Well atm it's just shouting at noobs to join a squad with engi leader to get revived when your team is out of tickets.

Without squad revive it would GG when other team has 20 tickets more.

Yes maybe a max range where you can be squad revived from. But squads never run around together on public servers.

It may stop you from reviving your whole squad next to enemy cv and raping it. (Haven't seen anyone do that yet)

Stops you from rushing forward on infantry maps.

Encourages everyone to camp so they can revive teammates behind corner, so they won't have to rush in within and suicide to revive someone who stays alive for 1 sec.

When you die, if no engi WITH REVIVE happens to wander around and see you in 1 min (rare on classic maps), you have to spawn.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

What if the scout is able to kill them "for good?"
    Like he walks up to the body and presses e for 10 seconds.
    Could even booby trap the body, so that way any engineer that tries to revive sets of an explosion :p

That would be funny.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I don't like this suggestion. I enjoy late-game battles where everyone is low or out of tickets (in fact, I dislike sudden death mode because it cuts those battles short); going on dangerous rushes to retrieve a wounded a teammate stuck in enemy territory is fun, and one minute wouldn't be anywhere near enough time for it.

Allowing people to 'finish off' wounded enemies is a perennial suggestion, I think. I don't think it would be a good idea, either, for the above reason... this isn't Enemy Territory. Reviving is important to keep a team from being ruined by one or two goofballs who waste all the tickets.

Remember, tickets are not, ultimately, controlled by the team's comm or their best players; the team generally loses tickets as quickly as the worst players on it can spend them. I think that with that in mind, and as long as nothing that minimizes that is allowed (giving comms ways to restrict or limit respawns to conserve tickets, say) everything that minimizes the impact of running out of tickets (without negating the basic ticket system) is a good thing.

Teams should definitely be able to survive when they run out of tickets, especially if the gap is only 10 or so. Losing because you're behind by 5 tickets or so is absolutely stupid... usually, that's just because you had one more noob on your team than the enemy That's not the sort of thing that should be decisive... games should be decided by who plays best as a team, not by one or two bad players. Revive is the only way to catch up from a situation like that (more experienced players can use it well to make up for the one or two people who waste tickets); it absolutely should not be weakened.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  7. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

not because I like it as it is, but because I think it's more fun, do I think people shouldn't be killed forever. It really wouldn't be fun to die and just have to go spec, people should have a reason to stay on the server and wait for their team to revive them.

Honestly, I think it's a good thing that people can slowly trickel back into the game via squad revive and revive when tickets get to 0.

8. REX

REX Member

That last stand can be very nice sometimes..... the ones I remember the best are often on duststorm.

Im not really sure how or what this should actually do. It just occured to me on district after I had shot the same guy 5 times and he shot me. That is far from unusual I know, but when I got revived it just seemed so bizarre. I wonder what the record is ? somewhere in the 10+ of the same kill message.

later some guy did a very good job at holding my team back from one of the small windows. I put 2 mortars in the window and he didnt die. On the third shot he got me I thought to my self that he must be having fun being all ecstatic about his multikill, but half a sek later I get revived and blast my shotty into the dark window and kill him.

Now from his point of view he is holding back the enemy and just barely survived my attack before he got me...... but then I just come back to life and like one pelet from the shotty gets him. My team was stupid enough to fall into an MG nest and half of them died..... yet it didnt really matter at all.

9. Vaun

Vaun Member

Agreed, enemies waiting 15 minutes to be revived then killing half your squad or so is very annoying. Having a limited time to revive is an excelent idea. But a headshot is still good as an insta-kill. Its hard to immagine an engineer scooping a persons brains back in then somehow bringing him back to life. Maby a limited number of revives as well, because even if you can servive maby 2 concecutive car crashes (real pile ups) then ull die of a thinrd unless your some kind of superhuman. Maby removing 30 seconds of time each revive till theyre finally forced to revive?

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

Where's the fun? all this is going to lead to is waiting for ages and AGES as spec for a game to end. this is going to make the end of the game a LOT less fun and will not make the game end faster.

I've played games where 20 v 20 games have got down to 8 v 8, with other people all leaving so that the remaining spectators have to watch for half an hour. it will happen.

11. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

this is a great idea but im afraid it might make revive weaker...

+3*

12. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I thought of another reason to hate this idea: It reminds me too much of the Team Fortress 2 sudden death rounds. Those rounds suck. Players don't like having to sit and wait and do nothing while everyone else finishes the game; it's simply no fun. The players who die often just leave the server. Worse, although you might expect it to make endgames go faster, in fact the exact opposite is true -- because the players who are still alive are terrified of dying and being (basically) booted from the game, nobody attacks. TF2 sudden death rounds usually come down to boring stalemates as a result, with the few people who are bold enough to attack getting killed by the enemies who were holding back, then having to either leave the server or sit doing nothing for several minute while both teams cower in fear of the stupidly unfun death rules.

Even though this wouldn't be entirely as awful as TF2's sudden death rounds, it's a move in the same direction, and I think it's a very, very bad one. Taking players out of the game and leaving them with no way to return until the match is finished sounds like a good mechanic on paper, sometimes, but in practice it's using raw boredom as a gameplay mechanic, which is not a good thing.

It won't speed up endgames. It will slow down endgames, I guarentee it; everyone will hide in back behind their turrets and snipe, staying near tight bunches of engineers who can revive. And in a way this will be even worse than TF2's flawed sudden death rounds, since it won't have a timer to end the match; you could end up with people stuck dead and unable to return for five or ten minutes while both teams cower, unwilling to risk attacking if it means being (basically) kicked from the game.

13. REX

REX Member

I know it can be boring to be dead :) and that already happens a lot at end game, but It would not be THAT bad. Not all games end by tickets running out, but If you DIE and dont have any tickets to respawn your team is done anyway. If the other team also is down on tickets sudden death will fix it. You wont be out of tickets in early game so it is very likely that the enemy will have high grade weapons.

if the winning team could actually kill some of the standard 10+ grenadiers spaming rpgs then end game crushing time might go down. This game is rarely won by camping in groups.

(unless the server have changed res income then a tiny base with less than half the refs can sometimes suddenly spawn 6 super heavys and crush all).
    mittoes never allow games to go into stalling with infantry. in no time there is heavy super tanks with rails/bio/he and nukes that rush in a hump the CV/entire base.

But I guess people of THE INTERNET all have ADD and would leave the server/game with the OMG NO SPAWN!..... why cant I spawn? comments and enjoying being a spectator is apparently impossible. So I guess this would end up being bad.

I guess im just used to being a seagull in ofp often for more than an hour. Also I usually have all my mines lined up at the very end and often end up dead where I have a line of sight to them that can be a lot of fun to look at and mostly the reason why I dont go spectator.

14. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

The thing is, that simply isn't true at the moment. I've seen teams come back from a 20-ticket gap after running out of tickets by being careful with revives. Why do you want to prevent that? Why would you want to make it harder?

If you want a team to lose when they run out of tickets, suggest an automatic 'you lose' when you're more than X tickets behind and run out. Otherwise, it's important that revive remain as effective as it is.

15. REX

REX Member

yes teams can make a comeback since they often have a lot of squadpoints and can have most of their squads do suicide runs at no risk just teleporting them back to base when they die.

I know realism is not the thing here, but I like it when stuff feels atleast somewhat believeable. in some way. Revive often creates these situations that seem very fake and retarded.

I once stayed most of a game at center in money and kept shooting a group behind an enemy wall in the end I had far more kills than anyone else even those who used arty. The same 5 people constantly getting shot...... is that really fun?.

The games I enjoy the most are when 2 teams are very evenly matched and hold about even portions of the map, that seemed to happen a lot more back in the older versions and back then It also seemed rare to rely on revive on classic maps until one team was actually in big trouble.

16. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

I wouldn't mind seeing squad revive nerfed when you get to 0 tickets. so at least you have to get to the body to revive it. if a load of people die at a fwd base, they can't all teliport back to base instantly.

so the nerf could be that it only revives people in an area around the squad leader (say, twice squad radius) when you get to 0 tickets.