return turret-jamming grenades

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by OuNin, Jun 7, 2015.

1. OuNin

OuNin Member

in recent enough updates, concussion grenades were removed from scout and imo they were among the most useful items in the game. for any intrepid enemy base spelunker, they were essential for cracking the interior of any fortified position.

the blinding effect is excessive but for stopping turrets they were truly ideal.

so I am asking for the return of a grenade with the capability of temporarily disabling turrets.

it would be cool if it worked as a maybe an emp grenade that disables turrets in a more UI-readable way like a radius you can see or whatever. or maybe a chaff grenade like in mgs which works like the old smoke grenade where you can kind of see the radius it affects

maybe for christmas it can be a ranged sticky stun grenade that works for a shorter period but yeah hey why totally remove concussion grenades instead of reworking them? (infantry blinding is totally unessential, but maybe messing with map markers or whatever would be cool?)

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Disabling turrets is good, yes. Might be fun if it disabled cameras for a bit too. Actually how long does it knock out turrets for? 30 seconds? Doesn't feel long, though I don't think it should be a long time anyway.

Anyway, I agree removing the blinding effect and making it a simple emp grenade to disable engy buildables would be good.

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

this would be great if it was re-added

4. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

This is a really good idea. I always feel like the ideas that are good get no discussion at all and devs dont respond either because they dont have the time to implement.

5. Catface

Catface Member

We'll add them back, but remove the blinding effect.

Instead, a screen shake effect similar to the seismics was suggested.
    I am a bit reluctant though to increase the effect it self, as it is actually pretty long if it explodes right next to a turret.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Is adding them to smoke not a good idea?

7. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

I suck lel.

Unless you like not seeing anything its bad to add it in the smoke grenades.

It could work like a mini sabotage grenade.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Actually I just realized that if you made it so smokes did it you would basically smoke out turrets, with the effect being you have an excellent timer for when it starts shooting you. The bad thing is it's smoke and that means it would suck for covert actions.

Unless ikalx is asking for turrets that don't shoot what is behind the smoke, but that's more complicated to implemented I would think. The way concs work exists already, just removing a part that people don't like.

9. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I meant the simple version where it disables, rather than screens. So the concs last for as long as smoke does giving, as you said, a visual timer on its disabling ability.

I know it's very visual, but "Assault" still has hide, right? So if you were going to be super sneaky you would actually sneak instead. A smoke conc would give some cover as well as being useful...and tbh, it might be kind of interesting to have that functionality. When's the last time we had useful smoke? :p