Retrieving a small country?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Simon, May 6, 2007.

1. Simon

Simon Banned

Is it just me or does retrieving server info take randomly between like 10 seconds and over 5 minutes for some people? Not sure if this is really a bug might just be my connection or something.

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

It takes a while to load between maps for me. Like, everyone will be halfway across the map before I even get in =(

Perhaps a trade off for quicker joining? Though, that doesn't explain why it takes me longer to change map =o

3. Simon

Simon Banned

Yeah most people seem to be already in game and playing by the time I make it in, sometimes frontlines are already setup by the time I get in.

4. Trid3nt

Trid3nt Member

The vote feature helps a bit for me, I get in normally with about 10 seconds left

5. Simon

Simon Banned

Are you slow on retrieving server info or sending client?

Sending client for me takes only a couple seconds

6. supaste

supaste Member

yeah i get this, the time it takes me to join the server can be anything between 10secs and 5mins.

7. flatmush

flatmush Member

My ping is very high when I'm on servers, but I always join first, I can only assume this is because I have a high bandwidth (10Mb) which suggests some downloading occurs between maps. Although I don't know.

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Client and server are exchanging data while "connecting" and later when you're playing only information that changed is sent (simplified a bit).

Maximum rate (download and upload) for HL2 mods is 30000 bytes/s if you have higher bandwidth there should be no difference between 30kB/s connection and yours.

9. Wereaser

Wereaser Member

Yet there is, in latencies I mean. I'm usually among the first ones in game in quite a number of mods, I've just always thought that it's because of the extra memory I've given to poor old Source to chew on. And considering that I've been playing form two different locations with same upload/download rate(around 53kB/s) with two very different latencies(around 56 for German server with the cable and around 100 from the WiMAX on the same server) and I've been most of the time along the first ones to spawn(especially in Dystopia), I think it's safe to say that it's not connection oriented thing at all.

My parents have the WiMAX connection while I'm on the cable at my own apartment(if you were wondering how I managed to test this thing). The computer is the same as I occasionally take it with me when I'm visiting my parents.

10. arklansman

arklansman Member

I'm usually one of the first to connect, and I've got a 256 kb/s connection. :/

11. HaschteWas

HaschteWas Member

Turn your graphic settings down and try again. It takes me about 10 sec to join the game after mapchange without having a "good" computer. And i´m able to c ppl joining after 5 min of loading time. It has already happed that these guys cant find any spawnpoint in their team cause the game is already over or even have to load the next map after they made it into the game...

12. Simon

Simon Banned

When I hit sending client info(loading) it takes 5 seconds. Retrieving server takes random ammounts of time.

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Yeah, the amount of time seems to vary massively. It can be as long as 5 mins, but it's a lot shorter on average than RC7, when that other message about downloading harassed me. I don't suppose this could be related to texture detail or something like that, could it? There doesn't seem to be any correlation between the speed of people's computers and the loading times, leading me to believe it's a network thing.