Respect Your Commander!

Discussion in 'General' started by Jimather, May 13, 2006.

1. Jimather

Jimather Member

so i just wanted to start a little discussion about understanding of the comms responsibilitys.

i really feel that commanders have a tough job and that they just arent given enough respect. No i dont want attack,move, guard and do pressups, i just want a little more understanding of the comms extremely difficult job.

often it wont be the same comm all the way through the game and the last comms get insulted for being crap when they werent even comming at the time.

then they get moaned at for not saving the day, well sorry but commanders dont have a 'work miracles' button either.

there are so many things to be thinking about, anyone who thinks the commander is just a research bot once he has placed the initial buildings obviously has never commed or doesnt understand what it takes to win a game.

he must be constantly watching the health of his buildings, keeping an eye on research, keeping an eye on team chat for ref request etc, he must keep an eye on his resources and he must look out for enemys andf then find the appropiate unit to counter the attack and then give him ther attack order. the list goes on and on.

then there is the fact that the commander has to deal with a buggy and limited interface, many a time i feel we lost a game because my interface started playing up and nothuing worked properly. or i just had no way to give the orders i wanted to give without a small essays worth of typing that gets lost in the torrent of text anyway.

i intended this to be quite a short post in which all i was trying to say was, just be a little more understanding, your commander is very busy!

2. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

To be honest. After all the building and stuff is done, I usually just sit and watch TV or something while I wait for research to be done. Occasionally looking to see if anyone needs me to do something.

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I personally would like the commander to have more to do or at least more abilities.

I'd love to be able to "spot" enemy targets like how infantry spot them. At the moment, if I see the enemy, I'd tell people to attack so they can see where they are but it's not really the most effective way when there are multiple targets.

Also, as I suggested in that other threads, players and commanders would get points for a completed order such as killing a targetted enemy, structure or constructing a building a player has been ordered to build.

It would at least give players an incentive to follow orders and commanders to stay in the game and give them.

---

Although I do hate when good commanders get chewed out because his team lost/sucked or as you said, when a commander hasn't even been commanding the entire map but gets blamed for it anyway =/

3. Jimather

Jimather Member

oh come on dee, commanders have plenty to do, the only time they dont is when the game is absolutely in the bag.

i am always finding new targets for my guys or looking for weak spots ion the defence or trying to redirect part of my team to where they are more needed.

i must say if you can watch tv whilst playing and still win, you must be very lucky to get the great teams/bad enemys when you play.

(btw i agree comms should be getting more rank points for stuff)

4. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Hey, Dee, try to teach your team some tactics. See them as units in a RTS without own will. Move them around, show them what you want. Try this and try to win ;)

5. aaaaaa50

aaaaaa50 Member

People who do this are what I like to call a 'DEE' meaning a lazy, distracted person. :D

Oh, and your sugjestion is copied off of mine in that thread.

6. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

God, you're lazy.

When I'm commanding, I'm CONSTANTLY moving around. I am often fighting battles on multiple fronts (on emp_duststorm I went up to 5 (Five!) damn fronts once). I keep them in check all the time. I change view every 3 seconds. I type shitloads as to keep my team informed. I give people the attack order on an incomong enemy, just to make sure they know they're inbound. I have DOZENS of tank customization sheets, each ready for its own counter-attack.

With me as a Commander, you know you've got a good one, so don't let him down. :p

7. Stu

Stu BehälterGott

The comm has enough on his hands already. I don't know how you can watch TV and expect to win.

8. Geogriffith

Geogriffith Master Debater and Conflict Resolutionist

The comm has a lot of stuff to keep track of. But I do find it a bit annoying when he keeps ordering me to "Attack this building!"

Especially when I'm playing as a scout.

But any comm who can keep the research moving and sets up forward bases gets a thumbs up in my book.

It's not a waste of resources to build small forward bases. An armory, a barracks, a few walls and turrets is all it takes. That way, your soldiers have a spawn close to the front lines, and a place to fall back to for health and ammo.

And don't worry too much about the turret placement. Turrets are meant to take out sloppy enemies, not provide 100% coverage. Any decent engineer can level a turret farm. Your job is to tell your little toy soldiers to go kick his ass when he shows up. :P

9. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Meh, I've yet to lose as comm since 1.02 or something. I don't see the need for any more effort when it's not at all needed. Heck, if windowed mode worked, I'd prolly have empires running in the background while I did other stuff.

I'm sorry if it offends you but whenever I'm comm, I simply get bored of not needing to do anything but click on research every couple minutes or putting the odd res node where needed =/

ps. As I said in the other thread, I tend not to read anything after first post unless it concerns me. Buuut think all you want, you're quite irrelevant to me, aaa-somethingsomething.

10. sathanas

sathanas Member

I get bored without commander attention. I need objectives or I just end up blowing up tanks that get lost.

So anyway, I respect commanders that pay enough attention to realise I tend to not do anything without them.

I also respect commanders pretty much in general though. I know I never want to be commander, so that's enough reason to respect someone else for doing it.

11. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I always have something to do from start till finish, the only map I dont actually need to do a lot is emp_money, and i enjoy watching battles and giving a little bit of help, by giving an attack order once in a while, or build some turrets, altho I even have had some intense and very fast games on money.

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

It annoys me to no end when nobody wants to be the Comm and you finally get sick of it and hop in yourself and set about your merry way, building up your base and starting research, and some arrogant ass always ends up demanding some research or other so they can have their superfast flippy jeep, threatening to start a kickvote if you don't do their bidding. Where in the hell were these supposedly "experienced" whiners when we were so frantically looking for a comm?

For God's sake, if you're going to whine about the comm's research path, take the comm position yourself at the beginning of the game and do it "right" instead of badger some poor comm who was trying to be a team player and keep your group from being massacred. I have no problem with suggestions, but it's really rude to demand some research path that the comm may or may not be aiming for. There are a lot of different routes one can take.

13. Jasper

Jasper Member

Why must we respect your useless commander respect is earned not given.

14. Jimather

Jimather Member

read posts more carefully next time.

anmd if you think comm respect is useless then you obviously dont understand what it will take to win a match against a good team.

15. zadarblack

zadarblack Member

Eh someday ago i have comm in a map and relocated main base to a more safe place. at first my team was kinda noob *example everyone going same side lol thats the most noob thing to do right?* so they where basicaly not taking new resource and wanted kill kill kill only lol finaly i got some resource up *thanks to the few good player there was* and i builded a radar well its taken over 10 min for SOMEONE to event start building it *and i asked several time in these 10 min by writing and by aiming ppl at it* finaly a Scout builded it LOL A SCOUT. and then ppl start complaining about my comm ability? what a joke i say... anyway in middle of the game some very good player joined and STARTED to do the real job. the game was allredy almost lost for us but thanks to these Awesome guys and my comm skill we have succeed in researching the needed tech to win :) and we kicked enemy ass back up to is base and owned them bad

its was one of the best game i played anyway :)

so the moral of this story... LISTEN TO THE COMM ORDER WHEN HE SAY A SIDE NEED MORE PPL THAN ANOTHER HE IS MORE WELL PLACE TO SEE THATS

stop only want to alway go same side with everyone and do point we are here to win the match point and kill alone is not enuf *i say go back to CS or game like these for only kill here we are in a team work game*

16. steven84

steven84 Member

From experence as a commander in game most players wont follow your orders and they will wonder around like headless chickens doing what the hell they want , allso the command interface is somewhat too slow (i dont mean fps) ,i recall in C&C if there was a event happeneing eg *building under attack* if you hit space bar your display would be instantly focused on that building or event , you could allso group units to numbers by selecting units then pressing ctrl+1, when you hovered mouse pointer over a enimy target the mouse would change cursor to a red circle or whatever , ususally id miss the target and tell the unit to move to that position, of course they move there and die...
    one thing i would like to have is the ability to place "becons" on the map like we can in C&C so people would know where to go to a certain objective

It is a very dull task being a commander:
    1) build base
    2) try get engineers to bring buildings online
    3) start reserching what the team demands
    4) occationaly replace smashed buildings

5)additional:start driveing the mcv around the map to survive the longest as your team have failed and are all dead+base destroyed.

after stage 1-2 the commander doesent really have to do anything depending on how the team are operateing, a pro team would request orders and exacute more persision strikes , a noob team would just go off buy biggest expensive tank and go killing etc
    of couse you have to click a menus system to do research and thats it.

in most games ive seen solders actually giveing commanders orders its happend to me too , ive sometimes just felt like screaming at them "im the commander not you" and they continue to demand there request even tho its apsolete stupidity- in this case it was to dump a vf down in hostile area that had swarming with NF goons.
    then to top it off we allso get noobs trying to vote kick you out the mcv , if this was real military questioning a supriour officers command etc would land you in serious shit (spose its only a game)

think i might be glad when bots are fully programed because at least they will follow orders

hmm i got too many suggestions for this game and its unlikely i will be listened to as im only one player.
    anyways in conclution being a commander is very dull and fustrateing when orders are not followed

Steve
    ps:sorry to make huge post about crap and how ppl piss me off

17. PJB

PJB Member

Me and starfire (my 'pwnz0r C&C doodie' to quote him) have a simple deal about commander, we do it to the best of our abillity.
    Yes a commander can win a battle just by reaserching big guns for big tanks and letting the players run around blowing stuff up.

but thanks to starfires tactics i've seen five battles won in record time, by the fact he is a master of trickery and insidious planning. when the enery are throwing turrets up at one entrance, he's throwing tanks down the other.

18. Jimather

Jimather Member

my point is made.