Researchable Infantry Upgrades

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sneaky, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Here's the suggestion:

Add a slot in which a player can install a module that can be researched from the cv and adds an ability that is a bit more powerful than the ones that go in a skill slot and could be activated by binding a key to "+module"

For example:

A module that grants machinegun turret stealth in exchange for stamina due to an emp generator running off the muscles' rapid contraction or something.

Or a module that combines with the artillery feedback skill to project the arc of a mortar in front of the soldier and display the projected hit of an artillery round on the minimap.

Or a module that exchanges stamina for health.

Or a module that doesn't stack with the speed upgrade but delivers equal speed freeing up a skill slot.

Or a module that works with the revive skill to allow ranged revives.

Or a module that grants increased protection vs explosives (standard cannon, mines, HE rounds)

Or a module that displays tracers longer and more clearly, making it easier to spot attackers.

There could even be 2 or more slots which might be opened with promotion or research and activate with "+module2", "+module3", etc.

Alternately the modules could be completely passive and always on once researched, obviously toned down significantly.
    Delayed lock on by machinegun turrets, marginally increased speed, slow health regeneration, somewhat increased health, somewhat increased accuracy, etc.

2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

eat a skill slot to be allowed to equip a researched ability? i like it.

the thing is all "modules" (i dont like that name, but whatever) should be unlocked with the same research so it is still on par with tank research.

have one of them be super rocket launcher for the gren to solve that problem.

3. Wilson

Wilson Member

Sounds alot like using programs in dystopia.
    But wouldn't it be easier to just add these as new skills?

4. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

i havent played dystopia in so long, did they add a new feature or do you mean cyberware (i dont mean to sound sarcastic but i really want to know and i am too lazy to look it up)?

5. Empty

Empty Member

Empires skills are very similar to dystopias ability system, this on the other hand is actually futher away.

I support it, and make gren RPGs bundled with something else, so thye actually get researched.

6. OuNin

OuNin Member

I want a module that will let me make 400 babies.

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

But it will require a new resource type called 'Shockolate' :)

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

good like it

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Bundle them with tank research. Otherwise they'll never show up.

Make them cost res to equip. Otherwise they can't be made as strong as a tank. Maybe they shouldn't cost as much res as a tank, but they should still cost some res.

Oh, and one last, obvious thing -- it absolutely shouldn't have anything to do with promotion. I don't care how it's done, but I am very strongly against promotions, points, and skill slots giving any more bonus than they do now. As I've said elsewhere, it would lead to grinding and point-whoring, with people doing things that don't really help their team in order to earn more points.

For that reason, I'd say putting this in skill slots fails. Maybe have it replace all your skills. But everyone should be able to equip this, and equip the same amount; earning an extra three skill slots absolutely should not allow you to equip three extra Super Awesome Upgrades.

10. Jonat

Jonat Member

Per respawn.

Insted of "slots", call it equipment. Various upgrade paths give your equipment a boost, if you're willing to pay for it.

IE, you have the following research paths;

Bio - adds bio-resistant armour to engineers (maybe a resistance bonus), adds bio-damage (DoT, like 5 damage every few seconds after being hit) to riflemen attacks, adds extra-sensory perseption to scouts (automatically detects infantry at close-range for the scout only.) and bio-damage from rockets for grenadier.

cant really think of the other paths, but it's an equipment slot (researched, cost res), not an ability slot. (from promotions.)

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i do not understand, will this be like... skills like the ones where you unlock slots for by rankings, but then they only come in your pool of choices if you research them?

12. Jonat

Jonat Member

Imagine the respawn system as it is now, where you goto change class and it gives you your unlocked skills based on promotion.

Now imagine an extra slot, for researchable upgrades, with nothing to do with rank.

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i see, that sounds like a nice addition...

14. Skyrage

Skyrage Member

Make it differ between BE and NF in some way - at least esthetically.

Weren't BE all about nano-enhancements whilst NF were all about genetic manipulation? It'd be a very nice touch to be honest, even if the end result would have to be identical for both teams.