Rereleasing old 2.12 Maps

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by ScardyBob, Jan 30, 2010.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

just decompile it, the one on cannon fodders is like 95% efficient, a good mapper could clean it up to good state

2. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

That's pretty much what I'm doing, but I've run into a few problems with my decompiles. It would just be much easier on me and result in a cleaner map if I could get the original vmfs.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

cry baby

4. Omneh

Omneh Member

5. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

That's true, but I'm not looking to change or take credit for the map. I just want to recompile and rerelease so that we can all enjoy it again. I've also tried to contact him via posts and PMs and can only conclude he (like many of the 2.12 maps creators) has basically left the community.

6. DrummerX

DrummerX Empires Tyrant

Yeah scardy, i said the same thing, didn't want credit or anything, just wanted it playable with no exploits, but as you can see in that thread, he gets pretty offensive, so don't even try. If anything i'm sure it can be mimic'd pretty easily (aka remade to look similar)

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Just leave it. He'll come back one day. Respect his decision.

8. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

I can see why he took offense. If someone came to you and asked for the VMF because they said your map was broken, then you might get a little pissed. Got to have some mapper pride :)

I have no intention of changing or taking credit for anything in his maps. I simply want to be able to play them again. I'm just offering to do the work of compiling and releasing so people can play BumGravy's maps again. Frankly, I think his maps are pretty damn good as is and wouldn't want to change anything even if he gave me permission.

Edit: Also, do anyone know the creators of emp_district_classic, emp_fastestmap, and emp_lastcity? I have contacted the authors of all of the rest of the maps on the list except these ones because I don't know who created them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. Empty

Empty Member

Please not fastestmap.
    Please god no.