Requesting texturing tutorials.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cloud, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Cloud

Cloud Member

I considered placing this in the art section, however as it is not empires related, I decided to place it in off-topic instead.

I have recently finished a model, the shape is fairly complex and I wonder how I'm supposed to uvwrap/texture/whatever a shape such as this. The majority of tutorials I've found only show simple shapes. It's primarily the UVwrapping im having a hard time with.

I'm using 3ds max 2009 32-bit by the way.

Model:
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Lol @ related images, they're empires related.

Edit2: Figured I'd list some of the tutorials I've used.
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=773648 (yes, I have looked at how to make a texture and how to uvwrap, shape is too simple)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Using the unwrap UVW modifier, the end goal is to create a net of the model in the UVW space, which you can then render out and draw over in photoshop, if you then apply the resulting texture back onto the model using the UVW mapping you did to produce the net, you will be able to map your drawing onto the model exactly as you drew it.

For example, this hotel unwraps thusly:

[​IMG]

However as source does not support multi channel mapping, you would have to forego the hybrid method used here and just do a single unwrap with both the diffuse and ambeient occlusion on the same mapping channel, rather than using tiling for the diffuse and an unwrap for the AO as I did.

You should also not leave a big hole in the uwrap like I did because you will not be adding to the model later.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. Marshall Mash

Marshall Mash 3D Artist