[request] concept art

Discussion in 'Art' started by flasche, Mar 31, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

well to me brenodi is a lot about large geometric shapes. materials are alloys, plastics and concrete, technical stuff is usually hidden exept for some panels. (cyberpunk to scifi and starwars)

northern faction/jekotia on the other hand is more about steel supports, steel plating, nuts and bolts, rubber maybe, bricks fit aswell. technical details might be plain visible, such as steel pipes, hydraulics, thick cables, maybe chimneys or visible gears (so steam- or dieselpunkish, or whatever retrofuturistic cyberpunk derivative - as wiki calls it - actually)

oh and mcgyver, since if forgot to fully answer, im not bored i easily find myself something to do, i just have a lot of time, im only working part-time ;)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on that one. And I also agree with Zoom. We should really decide if we want them to look as if they would be already standing there for quite a while, or if they should looks like just dropped in.

Another thing we have to keep in mind, is that they will both have to look good and be distinguishable from the ground and from com view.

And my brain is already going to far and wants to make gibs and build up animations for them...
    Also build up: Was it ever considered to decouple building health from build progress?

3. flasche

yes, i especially like the scrap-yard part, we deffinately should try to capture that somehow. so, to steampunk and dieselpunk add post apocalyptic if you want to name genres.

and yes, i too think the textures should be a bit dirty, the problem is - unless you make them themed like tanks - the dirt doesnt neccessarily fit the enviroment. desert would leave other marks then mud does.

and ofc building and damge animations would be damn awesome, but that would require touching BE aswell - imo consistency is key, i already feel offended by the BE heavy.
    but maybe we can do that afterwards, lets just keep it out for now.

4. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

And what about the look of already being there for quite some vs. being erected in a matter of hours?

5. flasche

if you go scrapyard look it will automagically look like that. it would also be easily distinquishable, i really like the idea, dunno how i overread it the first time ...

for brenodi prefabricated buildings that would require lots of logistics (aka what we have now) seem fitting.

also zoom you said you made a drawing of some warehouse style vf, can you show it (or send me a pm)? i misunderstood your previous post, i wonder how much i misunderstand on this forums - probably quite a lot ^^

edit:
    also did someone delete posts in this thread?

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I made some really basic plans for how I'd envision the vf, but i couldnt find my proper pencil and had to use the soft graphite which you have to really push to leave a mark. I also found myself in a weird position of not having acces t oa ruler so its all by hand. It ended up looking really shitty but I guess the rough idea is visible. I just have to check if my scanner works..

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Just use a camera if need be. That's what I do most of the time.

And yes, I deleted the posts.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Things I envision about the Jekotian/Northern Faction side:

It's a mess, battle tactics and plans are cobbled together in a hit-and-run style and uniforms are rarely enforced. Having said that, the people are scrappy resistance fighters with a leaning towards the sort of 'highland' feel, where people are more in-tune with the land and use it to their advantage. The Empire is about imposing order, the Northern Faction is about putting people above the system. It's not chaos, it's freedom, and they will live and work together as a unit to preserve that.

In a word, the Jekotians are defiant. They are the underdogs and the rebellious heroes. There is also a slight hint of barbarianism to them.

For their architecture, the material always looked a little like pinkish granite to me, but I think Don Megel said it had some sort of polymer mixed in with it. Regardless, I kind of like the in-game look in that it's not too dark, it's more of a salmon colour and doesn't look grotty. It's pretty easy on the eyes, is what I mean. I could stare at them while building and not feel like I'm in a rubbish tip.

Having said that, I agree with the sort of scrapyard mix, and what I'd expect to see is more in the way of boxes and random spare parts littered around. I'd also expect battle damage and scaring as well as maybe a few patched and reinforced areas. On my new computer I notice the chains on the VF a lot more, and I like that sort of feeling, too.

What I want to say, is make sure it doesn't look irritatingly messy or dirty. It's a fine line between being immersive and feeling like you're playing in a public toilet, and if you can, try to keep it out of the toilet please. I would, though, expect NF buildings to have a lot more cover than they have now. If they're still massive, they should have random bits of reinforced areas and makeshift defenses around them.

In contrast, the Brenodi Empire should be about order. It should be clean, strong and tough. It should be open and regular, perhaps with a flair for more interesting architecture to maybe reflect that they have had time to perfect their buildings. They have had time to make them have artistic flairs. I don't know the score on motifs for BE, but if they have something like flaring wings or something, those could be used. Also, arches and columns have a little Brenodi style.

The goal is not to completely make BE a big evil Empire, but more on the line of the Romans or similar. Of course they look pretty intimidating as soldiers, and having them march into your home town would be admittedly scary, but I think the idea is that people are safe and free to enjoy what they have - as long as they obey the rules.

I think I remember from the main story that BE had actually been subjugating the Jekotians for a while after a rebellion/war, and after an attack/arrest that didn't go well in one of the cities, the NF was born and it turned into a full scale revolt.

Honestly though, I wish Megel was around, he could tell you straight out.

9. Z100000M

Oh of course it doesnt work. Its a piece of crap that never worked when i wanted it to. Gotta love how that shit stain has no usb stick connection and is not even recognised by the computer. I had to fuck with ports to actually print something.

Sorry, but as it stands now, I cant send it.

Camera wont really work, the contrast is too low.

10. flasche

well megel probably didnt think about the polymere thing until either heself or someone else questioned the color ;)

sandbags might also work great for NF buildings. maybe the armory wouldnt be an actual building but sandbags with a roof or a broken apc with parts of other tanks welded onto?
    or maybe something more along the line of arma warfare builindings, but more fitting the NF style, so more steel and less modern -> https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Warfare_2_Manual#Construction (must scroll down a little)

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

A broken APC? That's pretty inspired, dude :D I do agree that sandbags are your friend too.

12. Z100000M

I actaully really dig the idea of a metal shack covered in sandbags.

As far as construction goes, I have one idea. There is this distinct style of soviet looking concrete fence where there are (i think they are ferro crete) poles, and they have several vertical plates of concrete between them. Its concrete and looks sturdy, but a building made like that could probably be erected pretty fast and not look total field-like. I think that the new nf walls are based on that style as well.

Couldnt really find a pic of exactly what I mean but think this http://crow-bet.pl/admin/pliki/płot/PRZEMYSŁOWE 1111111111.JPG with thicker poles.

13. Z100000M

I assume you are reffering to my chop shop idea.
    I though how to compromise two things:
    Nfs vf cant be just a small garage
    I want to not make it totaly exposed like it is now, but without removing the feeling that its pretty big on the inside.

So I though i'd divide in into two parts, roughly dividing it into halves. Left side is inaccesible and has the props that you would normally find all around the buildings for some reason, maybe a broken vehicle and chains/crane. I though about having some empty space looking like a delivery bay for cargo trucks, complete with closed side doors.
    The spawn ramp is on the right, accesible part, but is self contained. Players acces the vf by 2 entrances, one on the right side and the other in the back. Both of them are elevated, with half cone ramps leading to them (because screw not being able to just walk straight into barrakcs/armories sometimes due to elevation). Players can walk inside the vf on the L-shaped catwalk, connecting the two entrances The catwalk is suspended above ground by metal bars level and gives a good vision into the inaccesible part. On the left and the right side of the vehicle ramp are two massive steel doors that are open.
    It's smaller than the currect cavernous one, but retains the same width/lenght ratio (bit smaller because its a pain to place as a com)

14. flasche

we also should remember it should still be about as basic as BE buildings or we run into the problem that its awesome but out of place, ofc a bit more nice is mandatory since its the point of all this. also there needs to be enough space, but it still should be about the footprint we have now, so we cant just clutter up everything with useless stuff, there still needs to be place for spawning and vehicle creation. thats also my issue, simple yet good looking is hard and keeping that consistent for all building is even more, thus why i asked for help.
    but i didnt expect to get a design yesterday either, lets keep this going, still hoping for a quiet one to suddently pop up and show high quality drawings :p

15. Z100000M

I dont think it would be that, considering be would still have much more detail. Take the barracks for example, it has skylights, models for lockers and beds and some random corner thats probably supposed to be a toilet.
    I'd think nf would be more street smart with desing and not put fancy stuff around for lols. If somethings there, its there for a purpose.
    I was just thinking about removing the boxing clutter we currently have around the buildings and putting in inside.