Renegade X: Open Beta has been released and is now available for download!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 101010, Feb 26, 2014.

1. 101010

101010 Member

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Holy shit its like the original with shit we always wanted with iron sights.

3. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Looks pretty judging from the trailer, i mean you can fly orcas!

4. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Downloaded. Looking forward to playing tonight.

5. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Got it installed and ready, we should get in TS3 when we play and destroy everyone.

6. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Played 2 maps, both were tiny. Not impressed so far.

7. BigTeef

You want to play the giant maps, the smaller ones are infantry focus, the large are for tank battles and the flying names are for maps with air vechs.

8. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

So basically we played renegade's versions of glycen and urbanchaos...

9. BigTeef

It would help if you wrote down the map names.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's weird, I wasn't really prepared for how strange the players look. The environments are really lush, but the players, not so much. First person looks good, though. It's really strange, feels mega weird to actually play it...considering in the past sometimes people have said it's a bit like Empires. Doesn't feel like Empires at all...which is good, actually, means I've been playing the right game :p

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I played for awhile and I wasn't having the best of time. Admittedly the first 2 servers I joined was real laggy, so everything felt just terrible. I mean even empires is pretty playable with a ping of 150. So I figured out how to actually get the pings of servers and joined a good one.

Most weapons feel very underwhelming to use. Shooting stuff just isn't that much fun in this game. Tanks are kinda nice, I do like driving mammoth tanks. I only got a chance to fly an orca, it is easy to imagine that that is what would have been in empires if it ever did get aircraft. I was rather annoyed when I went back to base to get a ion thing to find out that your teammates can steal your vehicles. I don't like it in a game like this when everything you get is funded from your own pocket.

I saw that the engy repair gun had an ammo counter, but it seemed like you could fire forever. I do hope that is a bug, buildings just don't go down. On my team there was 4 mammoth tanks and 1 of the missile artys firing at one of their buildings and it just wouldn't go below 80%. Saw several other bugs, some real minor others rather apparent and very annoying.

I don't know how team work works in this game. I mean you got the engy to heal people and tanks, and everyone else shooting. There is no way to resupply ammo on the frontlines. This is somewhat mitigated by the large supply you start with, but I don't know, it just feels like there should be a way to resupply, or rather engineers being able to do it, something. No revives feels like a very foreign thing, which is odd because bf 1942 didn't either but I was cool with that.

I don't know what point I was trying to make, I think it is a case that teamwork feels rather limited because there isn't that many ways to support each other. That and every game I have been in was one with like 1 or 2 guys using nukes or arty on the enemy base. It would be like playing every round of empires only it have ninjas win it every time. Sure once in awhile, but not every game. It make it feel like you really didn't contribute a dang thing.

It is very nice looking though. Super weapons are like everything I could hope for I think. Maps did feel small, but I think that was just a case of there being a bunch of stuff everywhere. I got to say the way they handled aircraft spawning was real neat. Also the way that giant aircraft dropped off tanks was real cool too. I was rather disappointed it didn't support my native resolution though, 1600x1200. It's a sign I need to get with the times.

12. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

First thing I did was turn off all the motion blur and fancy stuff that makes it just seem like a 24fps movie, couldn't understand what the hell was happening.

Pretty 1:1 replica of the original, 10 / 10. Only gripe I had was that the health and armor numbers are SMALL. I usually didn't notice my health was going down.

Tended to freeze a lot and never recover, requiring a forced quit of the game.

EDIT: Oh, and sometimes I CRAVED for a commander that can actually direct these pubbers a little, if you get a team that has artillery + engineers repairing them and the other team does nothing to counter, the game is over quite quickly (like in the original). It'll take a long time for new players to get the nuances of the game and which strategies work (which you can take right out of the original)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  13. BigTeef

It needs voice chat, thats for sure.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Empires is pretty unique with that. In fact, it's the only game that I could really compensate for lag with, since if you're at a lower ping it tends to just shift things a half-sec or so further along for you, not warp things around.

Post processing was lol. I turned it off and immediately it went from glaring lights and washed out colours to warm colours and good lighting ^.^

I figured it was infinite like the pistol.. :confused:

I think this is what I feel Empires has that more other games don't. Somehow it's instilled in the game as a base, and although we have lots of wonky gameplay because of it...it's really sort of difficult to jump into the game and just do your own thing...and that's kind of a good thing. You can make a difference on your own (a bit less so than back in 2.12), but you really are tied to the team and people have to work together to properly get things done.

Maybe it's because Empires has less freedom...playing is sort of like stretching a rubber band - you can do your own thing, but if you get too far out and ignore your base for too long, things are probably going to snap.

15. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I couldn't get a decent framerate from my laptop's HD 4000 which makes no sense, considering it's UDK.

I might be getting my PC back soon so I'll install it again then, game looks like a hoot.

16. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Old renegades have a lock vehicle mod. A little Red lock appears at the end of the vehicles turret or jeeps hood. First attempt would tell you its locked... second attempt would kill you. All you had to do was be in the vehicle and type !lock and it was locked for only you to drive. !unlock and you could give it to someone.

17. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

Can't beat the real Renegade.

This is a good try, but it ain't the w3d glory that I sunk so many hours into years ago.

18. BigTeef

Of course its not, its hard to enjoy games we played years ago especially religiously.
    We have these fond moments and we cant return to them so it sets our expectation bar abnormally high.

We need to look at it from a gameplay and technical standpoint instead of a feeling one when comparing the two.
    This game fixes a lot of the problems the old one had and improves with curve balls and updates.

However still has the problem where the hit detection in the game is shit and infantry combat is still side strafing and placing your cursor ahead of people so they run into your bullets instead of tracking them normally.

I like everything about it except that one aspect and their balances on some of the weapons and changes.
    I like how the terminals are armories now and you can select individual weapons and explosives instead of just buying characters.

Its very good, you can feel the amount of hard work and effort put into this, its certainly a worthy upgrade.
    The little details on the creates, the tech buildings are something we wanted for years, the atmosphere you feel inside the bases and the com chatter.
    The actual time put into this makes me happy even when it cant bring back the old memories.

19. RetroFade

RetroFade Member

- You can't take down Apaches/Orcas with the Sniper Rifle, and you can't buy Deadeye/Black Hand Sniper to do so.

- Buying characters, I feel personally, gave the game a lot more of a defined, at least recognisable, early/mid/late game aspect that buying weapons does not give you. It also gave infantry a more specific role.

+ Good graphics, and is a fair chance to give those who didn't play the old one

I'm sorry but when you are used to original any game's old quirks, they stick with you. It's like 9 mine in Empires, it had to come back.

20. BigTeef

Okay, if you could snipe pilots with the ramjet, sure.
    But killing a flying troop carrier with a sniper is stuipd.

The old goofy quirks of the original does make it stand out but some of the stuff was just retarded.

Such as reviving buildings when they were completely destroyed, you had to to use a glich to get over a inch high wall, the whole moon walking chef glitch when you spawned him from terminals.
    People had to break the core game to just create the coop maps.