Remove Friendly Infantry Collision.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Alceister, May 29, 2009.

1. Alceister

Alceister Member

Meaning, let me move through that idiot blocking me.

It's also causing a number of annoying problems. At start, in some games people are forced to delay spawn because the mass spawning, and so have to join spectator, then rejoin their teams because the spawn then bugs up.

There is also the case of the "conjoined twins". This can happen in a number of circumstances (namely spawning in the wrong place at the wrong time) but I find this happens when someone is standing over you while prone, and then you stand up, resulting in "the beast with two backs, four legs, four arms, and all fail."

And then there's the other more common case of "MOVE YOU FAGGOT YOU'RE BLOCKING THE ENTRANCE." This one hardly needs explaining.

Honestly I don't see any disadvantage to this idea. It's a functional game mechanic and it's a hell of a lot better than others (like sudden death CVs). It might make Engineer healing harder but that is already difficult to do.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

can be fixed just by going back to the class selection screen and reclicking accept layout, but that is still just an easy work around not a fix

the disadvantage is having 3-4 stacked riflemen all shooting at you from the same point when you can only hit 1 per bullet. plus just general weirdness

invalid argument: just because X is better than Y does not mean that X is good.

that can be fixed by giving the calc a little bit or range (say the height of a player).

i think a better idea would be to redesign buildings to have wider doors to fix the 3rd problem you mentioned (reminds me i need to stop by the radar a barracks model threads), making it so a player can not unprone if they are being trampled would fix you 2nd problem, giving the calc some range would also help with getting stuck while reviving, and a better check to see if a spawn is blocked would fix your 1st point.

why go through all that work to fix the problems caused by blocking instead of just allowing them to noclip? because noclipping is just plain weird and can probably be exploited, because clipping can be used to climb (which is a valid tactic), and because the things to fix the issues either fix other things too (calc range) or are in the works already (new building models). the only exception is the standing while prone and that can be fixed easily.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

OMG!!! yes please!! I HATE reviving someone and getting there ass stuck on me.

4. Alceister

Alceister Member

Well, what if we could make it so that you can go through other players, but not stick in the same location? Like in Team Fortress 2, you cannot stay stacked in the same precise location as a friendly person or structure. You get some sort of invisible push away from them.

5. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

^that could work, but you still have the problem of removing boosting over walls from the game.

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  6. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

A better idea

push button, go through people

stop pushing button, stop going through people, and if you're in a person, get moved outside of the person, and if you cannot, you die

7. Silk

Silk Mapper

I've often though it should be changed. After playing L4D (where you don't get blocked by players) everytime i come back to empires it annoys me a lot. After a while i get used to it again though.

8. Alceister

Alceister Member

I fail to see the loss.

9. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

because then you remove yet another layer of skill and strategy?

if things like that keep occurring eventually using a tank will be an advanced strategy, and that's no good

10. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

You know you could just replace the current collisions with a simple push when you're in the same space as another player, so you can't stand in the same place but you can walk through one another.

I think you mean exploiting.

If a mapper wants you to get somewhere he'll put a staircase there, he doesn't expect you to build your own, unless he's a complete retard.

11. Alceister

Alceister Member

I'm sorry but what? Skill? Strategy?

Maybe I've been playing on Viper too long, but I can't remember many maps where JUMPING ON SOMEONE'S HEAD IS ESSENTIAL TO OVERALL STRATEGY.

Anyways, congratulations. This topic has been derailed into the lake. Fifty innocent men, women and children are now dead because of your casual neglect of forum posting etiquette.

12. arklansman

arklansman Member

Deleted an entire page, nice work community.

Anyway, the code for this is included in the next SDK update, and I think it's going to be used.

13. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Through hard work and long hours we have increased our comunity trollposting productivity by 200%.

On topic:
    Yes, please. If you could include infantry-vehicle (so vehicles can't push friendly infantry around) that would be even better. I've only ever seen this used for exploiting or griefing.

14. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

If a mapper can't make a map that doesn't need a player boost, then he shouldn't be a mapper.

15. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

It's about immersion, feeling like you're beside real team mates and fighting in a war. if when you look at guys crouched behind a wall or trying to get ammo, they're all blending into one another, you seriously lose immersion and the feeling that you are in the game instead of playing a video game.

conjoined twins and not being able to spawn are bugs, yes. but this need not be the solution. the "blocking someone in the armoury" thing is also a bug. beyond that, I don't see a problem.

16. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Can we do it like in TF2, when you come close to someone you are sort of "pushed" out of the way.

17. Alceister

Alceister Member

Again. The solution. Allows you to walk through people but not stay in the same place.

18. spellman23

spellman23 Member

+1

you can go through, but can't stay with joined hitboxes.

19. OuNin

OuNin Member

I want to be able to walk through friendlies, but still be capable of jumping on top of their heads.

20. Aeoneth

Aeoneth Member

i dont see why it isnt just implemented where the player thats not moving is pushed aside. So many games do this and it works/for the most part.

Is it a coding thing?