Remove explosive grenades entirely.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Aquillion, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

I actually agree with you chris :oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HE grenades suck. The physics are off and they do really bad damage. After a while the grenades just lie still and you don't know if its part of the map or its a grenade. Buff the grenade damage, fix the physics and reduce the fuse. Add a cool green glow or a red tracer like in HL2. Not only will this make the grenade more visible, it allows you to see where your grenades are going. A glow or a tracer should have their colors customizable like the railgun in quake. Also, if the grenades are buffed to the point like a real grenade, they should have their ammo limited.

And the animations are really weird too. It woul;d show you throwing the grenade, and the grenade would spawn after you finish the throw cycle. Also, your arms move way too slow to throw the grenade with the force it actually has.

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i would like to see the grenade button (the horn key for vehicles? they can overlap with infantry which is good) and boost Chris described combined with the grenades auto refilling over time with a timer and max capacity controlled by how powerful/useful the grenade is

i think grenades can have much potential if we only step back from grenade spams and such

3. Fricken Hamster

except for seismic because they are useless without spam and any buff will make it OP

4. Chris0132'

Chris0132' Developer

Not neccesarily.

You can make them work like stickies, they stick to buildings and cause damage over time, then you can give them more total damage but reduce their numbers and range.

5. Fricken Hamster

and you have to melee them twice to get tehm off ;)

6. Sirex

Sirex Member

I actually also agree with Chris!
    I think that grenades should be more powerful vs infantry and turrets and have shorter fuse and more lobbing ability.

Also in general remove grenade rearm from engineer ammoboxes. This would help vs nade spam and stuff, and an armoury is only 75rez so you can get your nades back. This would make buffing nades in general viable and stop nade spam.

Seismic should be short ranged like stickies but with a little higher damage.

But as i know the devs and this game this good nobrainer suggestions will be implemented around the same time as other nobrainers like local voice chat, and that means about 10 versions more.
    //KIDDING!!! :D

EDIT:
    +1 For grenade button.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  7. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

This combonation of ideas Is by far my favorite.

btw would I be able to assigne an extra mouse buttun to grenade throw? Cause that would be awsome.

8. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

Okay, now this is almost playing devils advocate, but I do need to draw your attention to a far far more gameplay changing effect than the effect on rifleman grenades if ammo boxes don't give grenades. because rifleman nadespam is only a large part of gameplay on district.

The massive influence of this suggestion is that it will greatly nerf engineers, and engineer grenades. Loner engineers will not be able to quickly nadespam buildings to death, indeed seizmic nadespam is the quickest, most efficient way to take a building down, tied with HE shells and just short of dual railguns. this is an incredibly big effect on gameplay. Lone engineers will also not be able to take down enemy turrets, and if two engineers on opposite teams encounter eachother and one builds a turret, the other engineer will be fairly powerless to stop him.

A massive effect will be that lone engineers will not be able to take enemy refinaries out and quickly build their own. After deconstructing the enemy refinary, the new friendly refinary placed will take much much longer to build as you will be out of calculator ammo.

One effect of this is that players won't bother to attack lone enemy refinaries unless they are with a squad of other people.

Now, i did say I was playing devils advocate. Because actually, I would still remove nerf engineer grenades. I would buff grenadiers and scouts and tanks vs buildings significantly. I want to see players working in squads to achieve objectives, not lone rambos spreading out throught the map. With other buffs, I would make it work.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Obligatory nadespam defense:

Nadespam plays an important anti-emplacement/infantry role before mediums/arties can be researched. Nadespam is one of the few ways to take down a heavily repaired barracks or turret. Nadespam is more effective than mortars at clearing out infantry behind walls.

It also leaves the nadespammer vulnerable to an rifleman rush (it takes 2-3 seconds to switch to your gun). I've been killed numerous times by everything from an engie to grenadier while nadespamming.

It actually takes quite a bit of skill to be an effective nadespammer (such as on district402). Just because its not a traditional FPS weapon such as a rifle does not mean it should be nerfed out of existence. More importantly, it adds another layer of combat that makes Empire's infantry warfare unique and fun.

10. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

I think a more obvious grenade would help a lot of this, HL2: DM has nades with a loud, distinctive ticking and a blue or red trail, so you can jump out of the way if you see one. Thus nades are at least a bit nerfed against infantry but keep the somewhat vital role of anti-emplacement for roflman. Just to make out that this is needed, omega was testing district with no grenades, and it was impossible. Turrets were literally invincible, grens couldn't do damage fast enough, so stalemates were made much, much worse. Allowing nades to only have a limited amount of stocks/player or only allow them from armouries would be fine too, 5 is enough and with ammo increase 10 is ample, but be careful about restricting nades too much.

11. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I can imagine that it would be hard to kill turrets in district however, that can be fixed by giving grenadiers the Advanced RPG researches on that map.

12. o_O

o_O Member

With a repair engi repairing it would take some epic focus fire to bring down a turret with RPG's.

13. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

you'd have to have them hit at the same time

14. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I meant for them to use the Mortar, doesn't RPG upgrade effect mortar to?

15. mr_quackums

mr_quackums Member

here is a radical idea: remove explosive grenades from riflemen beef up concussion and give it to rifleman as well as scout. it makes spam much less powerful, still allows (maybe even buffs) throwing 1 around a wall to get a kill or 2, and (if buffed in certain ways) will still provide some protection from turrets.