Remove Armor plate selection

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Mikleo, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

Lets be honest, who in the game doesn't just put equal armor on all sides. with the extra going on the front or sides. Basically what i'm suggesting is that it should just fill automatically. You put on more weapons, your armor plates go down, you take off weapons your armor plates go up. this immensely simplifies a system which doesn't need to be this complex. New players no longer need to worry about this "weight" thing. Experienced players no longer need to mess with their armor after changing weapons.

tldr: Everyone does the exact same thing with armor plates. It just unnecessarily complicates what could be a very simple system. If you don't wont to get rid of the system, just make it a checkbox which has "auto-fill" checked by default.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I don't think it's a good idea to remove it completely, but adding an auto-fill button would definitely be a good idea.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Maybe we can add an "auto-fill" system, but we shouldn't remove armor plate selection entirely.

From time to time I do want to put more armor on a specific side.

4. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

Yea, I guess that sometimes you would also want a lower number of plates for resource reasons.

So what I am envisioning is the exact same armor page as we have now. The only difference is it has an auto-fill checkbox at the bottom. while the checkbox is enabled all changes to weapons, engines and armor type update the number of armor plates automatically.

If you click the up or down arrows on the armor plates it automatically disables autofill.

If autofill is not enabled and you enable it then the armor plates automatically fill up to the correct weight.

I think it would be a much better system for new players. I have wasted way too much time fiddling with those small up and down arrows.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Now this is something i can get behind. The original suggestion was good in most cases, but unnecessarily limiting in some. For instance, I tend to do 4/3/3/2 plates on some BE med setups, and 5/5/5/2 on some NF med setups. Obviously this is a "to each their own" sort of thing, but completely removing manual filling would needlessly lower the skill ceiling - and all we want from this change is to raise the floor, along with a quality of life improvement.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

aside of intentinally putting more layers on certain sides, you cant assume that the remaining weight/armor weight (=plates) is divisible by 4. if it would only autoassign, how would you distribute 2 remaining plates? is it smarter at the sides, or front and back? i often end up with those 2 extra plates on front and the side i expect enemies to attack from.

but i think it already is agreed to that a convenience button with the option to finetune yourself would be nice

7. D.D.D. Destroyer

Duh, you just put two less on the rear, and hope you can juke well enough on the way out ;)

8. flasche

with 2 remaining, and 2 off the back, youll have 4 plates to distribute among 3 sides. tho i guess that 1 is easily best used at the front? but then the side is a bigger target, tho the initial damage usually is received at the front, but if you think of sbend for example, as brenodi your right side is more important than the left side if you come from south base, so many options ...

... but yes, if you know how to wiggle it good, the back is the least important one.

9. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

I would just have it choose the front plate first. Then randomly between sides (otherwise there would be some kind of strange auto-fill meta for people without armor detection, like always attack the right side). Then the back plate last.

Obviously when you fine tune it would disable autofill.
    But when you enable it can try its best to respect your current layout, like it would not completely flatten your layout. it would just add plates when needed and remove plates when needed.

Sometimes you may have forgotten you have it disabled. I think for this the weight label should have a third color. The weight label should be yellow if you can fit another plate on the tank. That label would never be yellow if you had the checkbox enabled.

10. flasche

i wouldnt make it a checkbox but a simple button like xya said. leave the rest as is (the colorcode would be nice though). it should already make ones life a lot easier.
    but tbh, i dont feel like i edit armor much. i also mainly design my tanks while im dead, its very rare i come by a vf unprepared.

11. Mikleo

Mikleo Member

A button is ok. It just means that whenever you edit your weapons or engine or armor type you have to hit the button again, so in this case you would make the button global so it can be accessed from all pages.

I just thought it is much simpler if it adjusts the armor automatically without input. So i just put reactive armor on my tank and all my plates adjust, I put 3 slot ranged on and it adjusts. etc.

I dont think that many players care that much about the specifics of the armor and would rather just a much simpler system to use.

But by all means you could have a button as well, for those who don't have it enabled.

D.D.D. Destroyer likes this.
  12. D.D.D. Destroyer

If you have 4x+2 plates, you put x plates on each side, then remove 1 plate from the back, and add 1 plate to front/left/right. This results in having two less plates on the rear: 4/4/4/2 or 5/5/5/3.

13. flasche

tbh i was mainly thinking APCs, i dont really feel that armor deprived in heavies, but 2 layers already scratch my comfort zone.