Refinery Calls

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sneaky, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I'm not sure how minor suggestions can be on this forum, but here's a tiny one.

I don't use a mic so when I need a refinery from the comm I sometimes end up spamming chat for minutes on end before the comm drops one, and while commanding I've sometimes missed calls for refineries for a longer than I'd like due to intense battles that need attention, general chat spam burying the request or being somewhat spoiled by having mic using teammates and thus relying less on text messages.

What I would like to see is an audible message, for the commander only, once a teammate "+use" 's an empty refinery spot. Something like the female voice that constantly hammers on about casualties saying: "Refinery requested!", with appropriate timers to prevent spamming.

2. President Dick

President Dick Member

Good. Clean. Simple.

Get 'er done.

3. Avneet

Avneet Member

WoW simple, yet such a great idea :D I know what you mean though. The times I sit at a ref, I get so bored of typing ref in chat and spaming "area clear"

And when I'm a comm, so many times I miss the people who type it. This doesn't look hard to implement either. Perfect :]]

4. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Very good idea, I think this has even been suggested before. And I like the idea of simply using the res node, although that would probably require changes for every single map.

5. RKB53

RKB53 Member

are you being real no one has suggested this yet???? omg

6. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

We need messages hovering over the map showing where something is needed, like a refinery image floating over a resource point, flashing when a call for one has been made.

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It has before (in various forms). I think I would prefer a small icon popping up on the commander HUD that the commander could click on, instantly moving him to the requested area.

8. LordDz

LordDz Capitan Rainbow Flowers

But then it would have to trigger OUTSIDE of the refs area, so you don't have those folks standing in the way when you want to place it ;) .

9. Spooky

Spooky Member

This gave me another idea, to edit sounds! I will put in my cheap throwtogether sound of "Requesting Refinery"
    And a very cheap starcraft throwtogether of
    "recycling building"
    lol. they are only concepts.

and also a free monstermash song so everyone can party!

dammit, im going to have to zip this because it won't take the folder as a whole.
    meaning i would need 3 seperate releasings!

http://files.filefront.com/Concept+Command+Soundszip/;11967404;/fileinfo.html
    Here they are.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

Then how about using the spotting system, it works for infantry, vehicles and buildings and has different messages for all three, that way you can fire it off outside the refineries building circle.

11. teh_ham

teh_ham Member

Good idea. Although I personally think it should be a radio message. Maybe even a request barracks/vehicle factory message too.

12. recon

recon SM Support Dev

Good idea. And get a mic.

13. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

now thats the real gold of this thread.

please add this to the fsay cmds, it will help a lot for those micless folk.

include : ref, rax, vf, armory

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

to spare out someone that needs to make all the sounds you could just make 1 sound to play on every structure like "requesting structure" and then have the message log say

"nickname" @ "coordinate" requested structure: "structure"

for example,

Blizzerd @ A1 requested structure: Refinery

15. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Oh, I really like that. But the menu for it would probably be pretty complex, 3 or 4 layers deep?

16. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Honestly, you know what? The only voice structure that is really needed is a "request attention" vsay. It'd cause visual a ping on the comm's map and minimap somehow, to draw their attention to where you are.

Once you have that, you can type what you want, and all but the most distracted of comms will see it. But the hard part is usually getting the attention of a heavy mic-using comm in the first place (I once spent like ten minutes trying to get Daizy's attention for a rax. GAH. I didn't actually get it, either; I ended up switching teams when I had the chance.)

And I've said this before, but I think someone needs to post a detailed suggestion for a new design to the vsay menu. It's too deep already, and it's awful that it uses the movement commands for input (since that means you can't move and vsay at the same time)... it'd be nice if it could be worked out so it's no layers deep.

17. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Member

what? You mean teams don't already spam stuff equivalent to "Requesting attention"?

And besides, then you'd have to type out when you need, which wastes time. It could be easily implemented into the center button (forgot what it's called) on the voice menu, so it would like like this.

Center button -> (top button? or center again to make it faster?) -> choose type of structure.

Essentially, it would be a double click, then pick your structure. It really wouldn't be that hard, natural selection has deeper menus than that.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  18. Demented

Demented Member

Here's what you really need added to the commander view...

[​IMG]

19. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Huh, that'd be really interesting. As a comm, a lot of times I'll miss the text box.

But then there's the ever-looming specter of "hard/no time to code" and, more importantly, performance hits.

20. Emp_Recruit

Emp_Recruit Member

Yeah text boxes man thats like dx11 shit