Reduce recycling time to half?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Mr. Weedy, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Mr. Weedy

Mr. Weedy I will report bugs on the bug tracker

Currently it is 30 seconds and it is quite long time in my opinion. So, does the following idea get support?

Could it be reduced to half what it is now, to 15 seconds from 30, or at least to 20 seconds. For me 30 seconds is a bit too long time because if you think about how long researching access to one research takes, that's 60 seconds and that's quite much even now it sounds very short time. In some games that is for me quite long time, let alone 120 seconds.

Anyone want to shorten the time a bit?

2. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Reduce it to 10-15 seconds.

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

The thing is that it's meant to stop people from recycling buildings under attack that there is no way of protecting. for example, if you see an enemy engineer deconstructing a ref, you could just recycle it, getting res back and stopping him getting a point.

Just point this out. not saying that it's too long or not, just chucking that in there.

4. Archanor

Archanor Member

How about not being able to recycle buildings that are under attack? Or even having engineers "unbuild" the building?

5. Lollum

Lollum Tester++

Yay for ArchanorĀ“s idea!

6. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

ya.. I like the un-building idea. Altho that might be something a griefer might do. Make it so the commander can mark things to be unbuilt. Over the 30 seconds they unbuild them selfs but, can be unbuilt in 5-10 seconds by an engineer.

I forget if when something is unbuilt if they get the whole amount back or a % of the health that was left on the building. I know you don't get what you put in tho. Something like HP%*(original cost) / 2 =what you get

7. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Engineers being to deconstruct sounds good, but you can't always spare an engy at the location. 30 is a bit long, so on balance i'll say 22 (yes 2 seconds more does matter :P)

8. Mr. Weedy

I think reducing buildings recycling time to 20 seconds or so and adding there a time limit which won't let you recycle a builing if it has been under an attack within certain amount of time.

Would that be good?

The time limit would go to 20 seconds or so and you couldn't recycle buildings under attack until after certain time.

9. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

well like sandy said...sandy... lol err um.. Sandbag said. Its meant to stop ppl from deconstructing there base while it is under attack. Do you think you could kill two buildings with one med tank in under 22 seconds? 30 seconds should be long enough.

10. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

30 seconds without an engineer is fair. without an engineer implies that it is somewhere your team is not, so should take a long time to prevent things being sold when they're getting attacked.

then, allowing players to deconstruct things that are already being sold is a genius idea, solving the problem of wanting to sell something that is in the way in your base. given that your team is already there there's no risk of people deconstructing something that's being attacked unless the team is intentionally wanting to cut and run. given that there's an engineer there, he could just as easily be repairing the structure.

11. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

The only time someone recycles something; is if its getting in the way; or recycling old turrets...

No one is going to recycle anything thats under attack; under the hopes that it will recovered at that last second...

if you try to recycle something thats under attack; that persumes it has low HP arleady, and since the formula on giving back the resources has building health as a factor; I say that is punshment enough...

I dont want to wait 30 seconds or even 20 for somethin thats blocking the VF to be recyled...

I say make recyling 5 seconds, because there is already a punishment for recycling already; to have 2 punishments (Lengthy time, and the res loss) is too much...

12. Valiant

Valiant Member

I agree completely with shinzon, as your already losing the investment of resources put into a building. Should you really have to give up even more precious time?

13. Simon

Simon Banned

If it is 5 seconds I will abuse the living hell out of it. Someone coming to kill something and I know I won't be able to get someone there? Recycle.

5 seconds on walls would be good but main buildings/refs shouldn't be anything less than 15.

14. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

That will just save time for the attackers, and you wont get your 100% worth back...

If you recycle a foward rax; it dissapears immideatly; no player tries to recover it, the enemy sets up shop doublequick and proceeds to your main..

Nothing bad there...

If you loose a ref, I would rather have the enemy humping it for a solid minute then wait for another min untill the carcass dissapears then another min untill they build their own, instead of essentialy giving them that position. Also it might actualy be more profitable to leave a ref to produce res up to it's last breath, as I think leaving it gives you more res then just recycling it...

15. Simon

Simon Banned

What about your main rax gets blown up. (on lets say mvalley where you might have another secondary base) rax down no apc. Can't spawn an apc because the vf thing is bugged (or maybe its mined). There is a 3gl apc in your base so its going to be another like minute at the most before vf and radar are dead. Make sure some research is started recycle vf and radar. Thats 300-500 res probably(they give you half right if there at full health??).

16. L3TUC3

L3TUC3 Member

If you have no res, refs, rax or live players, the game's ending is probably made of phail for you anyway. No amount of recycling will fix that.

17. Simon

Simon Banned

"lets say on mvalley where you might have a secondary base"

Or isle, duststorm. I've lost my main base plently of times and won. Some games you end up switching bases.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Triple GL apc moves into base with an engy in tow, my front two turrets are under attack and going down quick, next is an armoury, behind that is a radar and ref..or maybe rax. You'd be damn sure i'm gonna leave the armoury as bait and recycle the radar and rax!

At 30 seconds it's a race to see if i'll get the radar down...at this point i'm not really bothered about the rax considering it's pittance compared to the radar...and as the grens move in... But, at 5s recycle time...there wouldn't even be a base for them to take down, i've just upped and regrouped elsewhere.

Unless of course you meant that no one can recycle anything that has less than full health, or hasn't been built yet :confused:

19. daVinci

daVinci Member

I like the idea of being able to recycle walls (and possibly turrets/cams/radars) rather quickly.

I apologize for not being better versed with recycling, but do "unbuilt" buildings recover res when recycled? What if the delay for recycling was lessened for "unbuilt" (yellow) buildings, with the delay for recycling built buildings remaining the same?

20. Mr. Weedy

I'll pull things together now.

So far I personally like the idea that you could quickly recycle walls, turrets, cameras and radars. (I mean those engineer ones.) The time would be around 5-10 seconds because who wants to recycle this kind of buildings under attack when their only purpoise is to defend or give you advantage? At least I would like to keep these as long as possible to harm enemy as much as possible.

On other buildings like barracks, Big radar, vehicle factory and so on, the recycling time would be decided by a building's build status.

If the building was on yellow health then you could recycle it withing 10-15 seconds. This because you may have placed it in a wrong place and it is blocking something and you want to get rid of it fast. Also if it was under attack normally this kind of buildings lose their health very fast and even you would manage to recycle this kind of building which was on yellow health, you wouldn't get that much resources back from it because it has already lost significant part of its health while it was under attack.

If the building was on green health it would take 15-20 seconds to recycle AND there would be also a restriction which wouldn't allow you recycle the building if it has been under attack for last X amounts of seconds. (There would be a time counter in the building's describtion in red text and the timer would say something like: "You can't recycle this building in X seconds."

As people have talked about these I gathered the best ideas in my opinion to this. So what you think? Would it be the best in this way or what should be added/removed/changed in this?

Also the normal HP related resource returning would be in with the current feature which won't let engineers repair any buildings or build them up when they are been recycled.