Reduce mine diffuseal time

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Wertbarg, May 18, 2009.

1. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

currently, diffusing mines takes enough time for it to only be useful for disarming your own territory, making it nearly useless in non vehicular respects. The disarm range should be tripled and the time to disarm reduced to two seconds.

Pros:
    the skill can then be used to clear enemy mines before a charge

grenadiers will have more incentive to assist their team

Cons:
    the value of mines as defensive emplacements is reduced

Players may waste tickets trying to disarm defensive mines due to it being possible.

2. Alceister

Alceister Member

Reducing defuse time won't help: Grenadiers can easily die within the space of those two seconds you mentioned. Running into the mines or getting vehicles with Defuse skill are still more viable options.

3. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

I agree with your statement completely, but I want the ability to actually diffuse mines to become more useful. There has to be some way to do it, and have it not be overpowered at the same time. Anyone have ideas?:confused:

4. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Let's see, some thoughts. I'm assuming defusal doesn't protect vehicles anymore for this suggestion, because otherwise what's the point? Nobody will disarm mines when they can just become immune to them. With that said...

1. Give defusal to scouts.
    2. When a scout has defusal, make it so all mines are hilighted for them, even inside of smoke

This means that scouts can toss down smoke, then run over and defuse mines before it clears. Well, sort of. There's other things scouts will need to help with this.

3. Scouts need usable protection from detection-devices, comm targeting, and MG turrets, at least while inside smoke. They can get some of this by hiding, but that is slow. Options would include enhancements to smoke, enhancements to hide to let you move more quickly when hiding, etc.

Other considerations...

Make mines a bit tougher to drop, since they take longer to deal with. Make it so you have to crouch to drop them. Maybe even aim at them and hold E for a moment to arm them? Or would that be too much?

Oh, here's another idea. Have the mines act like Enemy Territory "landmine goes click" mines, where they only go off when you step off of them. (They would have to be set up so they're still fatal to you even if you rush over at high speed.) When someone steps onto one, there should be an indicator (smoke, a sound, whatever.) Then, make it so a scout with defusal can defuse all the mines a tank or player is currently standing on by aiming at the tank or player in question with some sort of defusal-device and holding the button.

This way, you could roll a tank on top of a minefield, then have a scout or whatever use the tank for cover in order to defuse it (stand behind the tank, point defusal tool at tank, hold down button.) Maybe just hold down E (as opposed to just tapping it to enter the tank), but that could be confusing.

Give scouts the ability to highlight mines for other players using their binoculars. This would help the rest of your team deal with them... not a perfect solution, but it'd be nice. Highlighted mines would appear in a bright, highly visible color, and perhaps would be on the map.

Concussion grenades could disable mines temporarily. This has been suggested before. Disabled mines should be highlighted and change color so people know they're disabled (and can dash over them.)

5. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

likeug

6. zenarion

zenarion Member

Rework defusal into what Aquillon suggested.
    Give defusal to Scouts.

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Yes, please. Defusing a mine should be just as fast as dropping one.

8. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

not THAT fast

maybe having it take 1.5 times as long

9. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

Why not? In general, defusing is going to be harder than dropping anyway, because chances are people are going to drop mines in locations they know they can defend -- where they have turrets nearby and so on. No matter what we do, the hard part is usually going to be reaching the mine rather than removing it.

10. pixelized

pixelized Member

Meh the gren should pick up the mine and hit it at enemies using the rpg as a baseball bat

11. Wertbarg

Wertbarg Member

That wouldn't work because mines are not round. They would have to be thrown like a discus, and the range of your throw would be based on how fast you were spinning upon release.

On a more serious note, the point is to make actually diffusing the mines more appealing so that your allies don't blow you up when they follow your lead. Under not circumstances is this thread touching on the vehicular aspects of diffusal. (please do not discuss it here)

12. Dawgas

Dawgas Banned

whatever it is, defusal will still be slower than our favorite tactic of throwing some emp_recruit into the mine field, reviving him, then throw him again until there are no more mines