Recycling Jeeps to Make Money

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Drag0wn, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

I discovered this when playing with Haschte late one night, before the forest scrim. Essentially, the amount you get back from recycling jeeps is counterintuitive, and exploitable. I guess people don't do it enough to find out.

If you have repair upgrade, recycling either jeep gives 34 res. the NF jeep costs 35, so the percentage you are getting back is far higher than recycling any other yvehicle, as it is nearly 100%.

That's not a huge deal, but the BE jeep costs 30 res, so you make money recycling it. An exploit, yes, but so minor and hard to do for your own team it doesn't mean too much. Still, obviously unintended.

Now here's where the insane shit I can't explain happens.

Recycling either jeep without rep upgrade gives 74 res, more than double the cost of either jeep. Still, hard to abuse. Haschte and I spent over an hour trying to find a good way to kill your own jeeps but there aren't any fast enough options to make it worthwhile. Still, wtf, and a bigger exploit.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Recycle benefit per tick is rounded up to the next number.
    Boom, a whole second of though required to explain.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

If I remember right the amount of ticks to recycle a tank is actually the health of the hull. Jeeps have 150 hull hp and repair is 2 a tick I think for unupgraded repair. The minimum amount is 1 res, so you end up getting that 74 res because it takes 75? tics to heal a jeep from 0. I think there's an error somewhere, most likely an order of operation which is why you don't get the full 75 res even though you should.I remember this happening in other tanks, there's still a tic left but you don't get anything for it. A really minor thing though.

Wait no, it would be deconing from full health, but there's still a tic missing for res.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Or maybe the carcass disappears instantly when you reach the 75th tick.

I know 2 reliable ways to kill your own jeep but you need 2 guys doing absofuckinglutely nothing for 30~40 secs to earn 40~50 res.

TBH, you might as well just earn wages.
    So yeah, this won't be useful in any way, it's just an exploit.

5. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

However, you do earn the res in team resources and not wages.
    So, you could probably get an early radar with this?
    Build vf, build jeeps, recycle vf, recycle jeeps?

6. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Let's discuss two cases.
    (1) Your team has a lot of players, you can afford 2 guys fucking around.
    In early game you just have unlimited resources, this isn't helpful or decisive at all.

(2) Your team doesn't have a lot of players.
    2 guys fucking around will just cost you the game instantly.

7. Drag0wn

Drag0wn Member

LordDz> Yeah that would be the intention. On maps like cod it could have some use. The problem is other than comm spawning jeeps and letting them expire or driving them into walls, killing your own jeeps is kinda hard. 9mining them is too much of a time sink and isn't guaranteed to kill it anyway.

If we still had turbo, this would be a lot easier to do, as turbo makes flipping and hitting walls harder much simpler.

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

There's a convenient exploit to kill your own jeep, obviously I am not gonna spoil it.

Ideally you can earn 40 res with 30~40 secs of your time, annnd yeah you'll probably get your radar 10 secs sooner.

What a way to grief your team.

9. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

It's also a handy way of transfering wages to comm.

On a more serious note: yeah, repair upgrade shouldn't give less res, and we'll reduce the amount of res the jeep recycling does, it's settable per chassis in scripts

10. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's settable, but even if you go to 1% you still get the 1 res a tick.

That was what I was thinking, it just seemed to me it would pick up that final tic before the despawn happened.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

If you want to stop being lazy, join an empty server, recycle the only ref and then test it.