Recycle spammed vehicles

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by thetim, Jan 3, 2008.

1. thetim

thetim Member

Forgive me if this has been suggested before; I searched but didn't find anything.

On one of the mission maps, I've experienced someone joining Brenodi solely for the purpose of spending all their resources on deliberately useless vehicles, then switching back to Northern Faction. I suggest the following solution:

- When someone switches teams, recycle all vehicles that a) they have created, and which b) are empty.

Thoughts?

2. Reef

Reef Member

report such actions in the ban hammer forum section

Griefing cannot be compleatly eliminated by the game design. We should leave it as it is (I wrote some ideas just if someone decides that it MUST be implement this).

What if someone leaves the server and joins it again and joins other team?

If someone spawns 3 tanks and the tanks are being used normally, but one driver got out to repair it by engineer tool and then the constructor leaves, a tank disappears.

Alteternate solution: lets be able to sell vehicles in repair factory OR in vf (but still recycling should take time). I think it would unbalance the game. Light tanks can be sold to buy mediums, mediums can be sold to buy heavys/artys. Bad.

3. SwampRat

SwampRat Member

why would it be bad to be able to sell old tanks? you can already upgrade equipment in the repair facilities and only pay for the extra equipment. imho its more valuable to upgrade a paper heavy to a decently layed out one than from a good light to a medium. Recycling tanks could be useful, but might be overly complicated, also I'd guess if its a sale not an upgrade then there should be a reduction in the amount recovered (e.g. 50% of chasis cost and 100% of equipment/undamaged armour cost). That of course still leaves the original problem open. Personally I've been lucky enough to not see griefing like that.

I dont think you could have the recycling idea for abandoned tanks without something being available for people staying on the same team - otherwise if I abandon a tank somewhere and die its better for my team if i switch teams and back since the recover the resource.

4. Reef

Reef Member

on emp_money there are often some tanks left in base because someone went to base to repair light tank and then mediums got researched and as there was plenty of money, he bought medium and went to front.
    Then, in the end-game where arty production took all the res, those garbage tanks could be sold. That modifies the game balance, so I think it should be deeply considered. Again, I think griefing should not be eliminated by solutions like this.

5. Sewage

Sewage Member

Plus if you've hit the tank limit there's no other way to get rid of those other tanks than to suicide them into something. If your tickets are down, that could be hard to accomplish without death.

a recycle or destruct would be nice. What would be even better is something like Planetside where you could capture an enemy vehicle for your own. Although i could see some abuse in that.

6. petemyster

petemyster Member

automatic tank recycling isn't the answer, the commadner should be able to recycle tanks the same way he recycles buildings.

7. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

Or if a player moves that tank onto a repair pad, he can sell it.

Comm recycle is cool for the vehicles that are on the otherside of the map.

8. Aquillion

Aquillion Member

I think that comms should be able to decommission (not recycle -- they shouldn't get any resources back) empty vehicles, to avoid getting stuck at the vehicle limit because people built some jeeps early on for a rush and left them in the middle of nowhere. It should take 30 seconds like usual, though.

This wouldn't radically alter the game balance (unlike tank-sellbacks) but it would eliminate a source of annoyance.

9. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

That sounds good Aquillon, actually very good.

I support that.

10. Andariel

Andariel Member

what is so wrong with the idea of being able to sell the old stuff? for so many times i was running around in my medium tank while anyone else is driving around in their third or fourth heavy

people like me who don't want to waste resources on a heavier chassis and use the tank solely for raids and as a secure platform to move quick from resnode to resnode are getting punished by not being able to sell the outdated but formidable tank to give the team resources back and buy a heavyer chassis

11. Great Grizzly

Great Grizzly Member

Exactly. So many games I have found ditched mediums because the owner wanted a heavy. It went against our limit and was resources that wasnt being used.

12. flatmush

flatmush Member

Or just allow the comm/server to set a timelimit. If you build a tank you can't build another for say 5 minutes. If the comm could do this then he could research better tanks and up the tank spawn limit so that idiots wouldn't just waste the resources away, dunno if this has been said before but I can't off hand think of any reason this is stupid.

13. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

for 5 min??? ok than i tell you that you will have some very boring games with like 3 tanks hunting the other team unable to build a damn vec...

14. Andariel

Andariel Member

and also are 5 minutes nothing considering ive kept even light tanks alive for the entire match until a good artillerist was needed, i know when i need to gtfo and repair/resupply on a regular basis, usually i go to rearm after an encounter or in the middle of one when my team can take care of the rest

in that case you should be allowed to recycle your tank or that the commander has the ability whenever you get your tank on a repairpad and! leave it

15. flatmush

flatmush Member

5 minutes was just an example, and yes most good players can keep a tank alive far in excess of 5 mins as long as the teams are relatively even.
    If you can't keep a tank alive for more than 5 minutes then you are wasting your teams resources, that may be because you are bad at tanking or simply because the enemy team has better research. Either way it is better that you don't keep wasting tanks, so the limit would slow down the rapid resource consumption and allow the commander sufficient resources to research better stuff.
    The value of the limit would probably depend on how many resources your team has, and how kind your commander is.