Random Spawn Points?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jn., May 18, 2006.

1. Jn.

Jn. Member

I think it would be cool if the devs created a bunch of different spawn points for each open map, and at the beginning of each round a spawn point is randomly picked for each team. Right now, you always know where the opposing team's starting base is so you know which res points you can get first without contest. The devs could make it so the teams don't spawn too close together(or not) as to prevent early rushes and whatnot. I think this would add gameplay and strategy variety to the game, as well as encouraging teammates to stick together at the beginning because they don't know when they'll come across enemies.

2. nuke

nuke Member

No No and No

3. Bodrick

Bodrick Ye Olde Supermod

I think that that's a perfectly good idea.

4. Jn.

Jn. Member

Elaborate.

5. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

What a constructive addition to the forums you are.

---

On one hand, it is indeed a fairly good idea but on the other, it'd mean a lot more work on balance through map design would be required and would like to produce a lot of symmetrical map designs.

6. Chew

Chew Member

good idea really if each big map had 6 or 8 spawn points it wouldnt make a huge difference but it would mean a few minutes where people actually have to scout out the main base.

I like it

7. Jn.

Jn. Member

Yeah, my biggest annoyance is when people contribute nothing to the discussion Dee. And yeah, this would require map balancing, like placing the right amount of contestable res points in the perfect places. To me, canyon seems the most symmetrical right now, since there are four corners that it could be possible to be spawned in, with multiple resource nodes in the middle, and each corner has an extra res node right by a potential base. The thing I want to see is how teams would adapt to not knowing where the opponent's spawn point is, and coordinating themselves to finding the enemy, capturing res, and being alert for enemy movement all at the same time. Say your base was in the normal BE base on canyon. The enemie's base could be in any of the other 3 corners, and it's essential to find out where the bulk of their force was located. Maybe we could fit in some new scout abilities for the first few minutes of the map and finding enemy units. Right now, you know where the enemy is, you know what res points they are going to capture, and you know where to drive your tank. I want a little surprise in my fight :) A strategy could even be to fake your main base's position, lure the enemy there, and attack full force on a different front. I dunno I'm just thinking out loud right now, and if anyone has any other ideas for this suggestion post it, and if you disagree, GIVE REASONS :P

8. FalconX

FalconX Developer

I think relocating pretty much covers this anyway...

9. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

I dont think it would really work, because if you would add more spawnpoints, like an 8 player cnc map, where you randomly spawn at one of the 8, you would also need a lot more refinery, since you always need a few near your base. Else it would be lots of walking and in the end relocating near the refs anyway. And too much ref doesnt really work if you ask me, I think Isle is a good example, it gets a bit too chaotic, and thats 12 nodes (plus the ones you get at start, 14), if you would have 6 spawnpoints, you would atleast need up to 2 refs near the spawnpoints, thats 12 nodes already, can you imagine if you would make a symmetrical map how many resnodes there would be?.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  10. zachtos

zachtos Member

falcon hit it on the head. we can relocate, AND APCs are now available. I often take off w/ the comm and build a new barracks/recycle the old barracks right away.