Random Res

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by bz2rules, Dec 5, 2006.

1. bz2rules

bz2rules Member

Hi!

Thank you all mapp makers for your lovely maps.

What do you think about this idé?

Make a map with random placed res. For ex a map that has 10 res but only make 5 visible and randomy placed of the 10 possible.

2. supaste

supaste Member

go for it!

you just have to find a way of setting it up so each res node has a partner or summin like that so that the res point are placed fairly

3. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

that would be really interesting.... if possible :S

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

Here's a rough idea of the set-up you would need to do this:

logic_auto -> triggers 'pickrandom' in logic_case on map spawn
    logic_case -> list 'case' outputs to fire logic_relays
    logic_relay -> ontrigger, kill all res points except those that you want to keep

This would allow up to 16 different res configurations, and every one could be balanced. Also, they could include different numbers of res points. So in one instance a map may be very profitable, and in others res could be extremely sparse.

It would be interesting to see this implemented into a decent, open layout.

5. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Maybe in an aircraft map?

6. R_yell

R_yell Member

I like the idea from a theoretical point of view, but maybe there could be some game play issues. In a RTS there is no problem because the same person makes everything: exploring, unit management, etc, while in Empires such task would require more communication and team play. I say this because a RTS with random resources placement like AOE differs a lot from other games where res placement is static.

The bigger issue I guess would be the lack of res nodes signs in minimap, except if they are represented as any other unit/building once discovered.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Member

In some ways having to explore for res is better, I think; but I understand what you're saying. The commander would still ultimately be able to see all of the res sites 'from orbit', due to the smoke they emit. So you wouldn't have to send troops to unneccessary locations. But for new commanders it would still be a problem knowing where to initially check.

I'm trying to think of some way of hacking this into the minimap somehow, but I just don't think it's possible atm. You could possibly have a sprite show up on the screen when you're looking at a res location, ala an order.

But I'm still not sure what kind of map layout this would best suit. Something with too much structure to it would mean that the difference was minor, as the map layout would still ultimately determine strategy. Something too open, and it would appear too small to employ decent strategy on anyway (due to visibility and such).

It could always be put into an urban environment, where unused res spots would be entirely replaced with buildings. But then the layouts would have to differ significantly in order to make any real difference to gameplay. Possibly it would work in combination with other randomized factors such as blocking of certain pathways or access to certain buildings. So one set-up could be highly linear, push-style; another could be money-style, emphasising defence; and another could be a single, central res-spot for king-of-the-hill gameplay.

Wow, that actually sounds kind of cool. But then res points in infantry-only maps would be useless, so there'd have to be commanders too.

How would other people like to see this implemented into real gameplay?

8. Private Sandbag

Private Sandbag Member

what if the minimap was actually a realtime view of the battlefield from above, except you could only see enemy units that can be seen by the rest of your team, like normal.

9. Solokiller

Solokiller Member

Isn't that basically the 3D minimap system i suggested a couple months ago?

10. R_yell

R_yell Member

Yes, at least the initial process of acquiring new refs wouldn't be too slow, but everyone there would need to memorize all working res nodes or game'd be a bit chaotic. I can't see this working well without minimap support.

There is also a size issue as you said, 1:1 scale is not enough to take real advantage of this game play, however, there is some room to make a smart layout no matter what environment you choose.

I think Empires lacks of a map with caves as a way to interconnect different parts of the map and extend its size as well. Res nodes would be placed on the map surface of course. There could be used some dynamic elements as you mentioned to open/close some different paths in each game. It would be funny if done right I guess.