Purchase things at an armory

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ViroMan, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Why can't we? Each armory has a nice blank space on the wall for a screen you can walk up to and hit E on.

Anything that can be purchase with your personal res should be a one life time or one use kind of thing only and only effect the soldier.

Suggested Inventory:
    Skills. Buy any ONE of the passive skills for that one life. (Except hide. Fuck you hiding rifle fags) I duno... do want to allow skill stack?
    Buy different grenades. Even maybe fancy ones. One det pack?
    Buy different weapons. Weapon would replace the slot it normally fits in. Scout with sniper riffle again?
    (Non-engy) Replace your grenade stack for an engy calc?

Well I am sure others can come up with more... point is it could be a nice way to spend personal res. We could ALSO use this area to allow the person to donate res to other players or to team.

This suggestion sure as fuck would make revving people a thing again. People would be significantly more inclined to wait for a revive if they could keep the passive skill/weapon they bought.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

The idea of using wages to get stuff sounds good, I agree to that idea.

There's a couple of things I want to question, like when you buy a skill does it take one of your slots or is it a separate 5th slot? If you can buy several things from an armory I also wonder about rifleman with the ability to revive and do everything else an engy does, it sounds like a lot to me. But like you said, it's only good on that one life and it can be a big investment for something that lasts 30 seconds.

Honestly though, it's really a question of cost, how much does all this cost? It might be best to keep it simple, so I propose out of class skills costing 100-125 wages and the general skills costing 50-75.

Out of class weapons depend on what slot, a primary 100-150ish res(I kinda want to say the obvious good weapons should be 150 and the ones people usually pass up 100), a secondary 50 res, and I'm not actually sure about grenades. I say that mostly thinking of sticky stuns, thinking of ninjas and what not, but it isn't exactly hard to get a scout to come along. Grenades should probably be 50 I guess.

Calc is super nice to be honest, being able to heal and actually build buildings is cool stuff, it's just a question of do they also drop walls? I don't think I actually like that, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it was a calc with some reduced functions, write it off as not being properly educated on its use. I wouldn't know what it should cost though, if it replaces grenades 100 sounds ok, if it's own slot or something maybe it would be better for it to cost 150 or possibly 200, I don't know.

I'm not totally feeling donating res though, for some maps it would drastically shorten the time to get a radar or vf up and I like the pacing of those maps.

These numbers are kinda picked from the air, but are based on what I feel like is a decent average which is a player will get 60 points in a round which is usually around 1200 res. There isn't actually much else a player could want to buy beyond what you listed though, but what you have is actually quite significant. Would be fun to play with, but it might make things somewhat annoying to some people.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. Metruption

Metruption Member

buy a perk for 100 res

4. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

For the calc... ya I was thinking of heal and build only.

For the choice of skills I was thinking "no revive" since that requires a calc however, if they purchased a calc first ... I guess that can be allowed since your spending a huge wad of cash.

I was thinking along the lines of the skill would not be shown in the player selection area at all. But you could see what was active in the armory if you go back to purchase more things and have not died (used a ticket) yet.

As for the missing price values, I didn't want to throw anything out there right away and have people balk at the prices and not talk about the idea in general.

In case it was vague by when dead you loose your stuff I mean, if you used a ticket to comeback you lost it all.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Sure, I just think price is important. It can transform this to being a nice bonus to a it makes great players op, so it should be considered.

There's also a small thought of people not wanting to kill spawn somewhere because they don't want to lose their fancy weapon, but I would imagine the players who would worry about that are the players who wouldn't really killspawn anyway.

6. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It's a different type of game if you do it this way. It's not a bad type of game, actually we were going for a similar point system with Cold Trap, but since the infantry would have power assisted suits it would have been based on weight limit - like Empires tanks.

That aside, this is a good idea if you want to move towards a class-free system, since that's where it's more likely to go. It wouldn't work very well as two separate systems, though, because you'd run into things like engineers with mortars, or riflemen with calcs.

Of course that would make infantry super fun, and have people less interested in tanks and more in inf, imo. I guess at that point, more experienced players would be on foot and less experienced ones would be in tanks, rather than how it is now.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

since suiciding to help out somewhere else is a rather dumb - nevertheless needed mechanic - you could aswell introduce personal teleporters.
    instead of playing the kill animation on button press you fade the player out, move him to a rax or apc and spawn some particles.

this should be done independent on this suggestion anyway.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015