[Public Test] Empires Unbalanced Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Drag, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

Am I the only one who thinks that this will be to many changes at once?
    Every commander has to learn the new research tree from scratch.
    Or is this the goal of this?

And how long will it take, until the new research tree is balanced? I think it took a very long time until the current research tree was balanced.

Also I (maybe also many other players) like the current research tree. There is no overpowered branch. Commander can freely decide by looking on the ressources, map and team skills.

2. Sonecha

Sonecha Member

The current tree is not, and have never been balanced.

3. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

In theory, yes. In reality, no. That is currently only true in scrims or other games with no noobs and only experienced players.

4. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

I love these scripts. So much. The weapons are so much fun to use. Double bioML salvo on an NF heavy is hilarious (if fairly ineffective).

5. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

If you use one direct damage heavy in combination with a doube bio ml salvo
    heavy you can piss off multible targets at once.
    The bioML heavy keeps the whole enemy tank squad under pressure by DOA
    all tanks constantly. The direct damage tank attacks always the most
    dangerous enemy.
    Thats how the new weapons work, but people seem to misunderstand that
    half of the weapons are not designed to directly kill enemys.

6. Mageknight

Mageknight Member

Huh. Interesting. I was just going off what I was experimenting with in those random tank wars, but I can definitely see where that would be effective in a real game.

7. [D3]Leroy Jenkins

[D3]Leroy Jenkins Member

Oh stop complaining about balance. Having it be a tad unbalanced for certain things in either direction is what makes it interesting. Right now current research tree is fine. NF have stronger in things in some sectors and BE have stronger things in some sectors. IF everything was perfectly balanced then for me at least some fun would be lost.

8. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Uhm are you aware that this (marked green) is actually balance?!

9. [D3]Leroy Jenkins

[D3]Leroy Jenkins Member

I was unclear. You are assuming that holds true during the whole game when i only intended for it to mean at certain phases and at those phases its unbalanced. I am sorry for being unclear.

Meaning at 1 point NF may have an advantage that BE does not have; that only NF can have. But that does not mean that advantage will still be an advantage 10 minutes later.

10. Mashav

Mashav Member

So I found out why all of your anti wall weapons did no aoe to unbuilt walls.... Because no AoE does damage to unbuilt walls. Siesmics, HITs, HE. This is using normal scripts as well. I'm guessing something got messed up in 2.24. I'm about to report it as a bug, so It should be fixed soon (hopefully in a hotfix before 2.25)

11. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

+1!!!

EPIC idea! I completely agree. I think though that with an expansion like that, research trees should be free on the first level, for instance you could go into Chem or Bio w/e without having to spend time on it, no point if it had that many subsections.

Having three layers of armor sounds awesome too.

Oh wow please do, that sounds like a major nerf on behalf of seismic grenades and the like.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  12. spellman23

spellman23 Member

It's balance by asymmetry. Sure one side can get this cool thing to give it an advantage, but it has a cost. Also, the enemy has its own little perk that it can use, hopefully to its advantage. Remember, it's not a pure advantage, it might only be temporary or only in certain situations. As with all tech, it can be countered and rendered obsolete if need be. That being said, giving each side unique weapons in each tree or interesting abilities (AoE modules?) would be pretty cool and help diversify the two sides. Currently the major differences are the AFV vs LT, the slots on the heavies, and the models. Unique tech would really spice things up.

Personally adding in more diversity would be pretty cool. However, it can make balancing things a nightmare. See StarCraft and how long it took to get the three unique races to balance properly (still a work in progress!) or Natural Selection and the melee vs. ranged dichotomy.

13. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone have Emp_Scripttest3.zip? I've been talking about old research script tests when I'm in Specpires, I downloaded and tested this research test , but it wasn't the one I was looking for.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  14. Empty

Empty Member

Talk to trickster if you want to mess with scripts. This thread is 2 years old and I have no idea what the fuck emp_scripttest3.zip is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.