[Public Test] Empires Unbalanced Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Drag, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

Turrets are not meant to be an offensive weapon, they're meant to defend your base. They already get 2 possible upgrades, and I don't think they're underpowered right now :>

2. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

But it would be a nice touch if your turrets are in line with the flavor of your research, same for rpg & mortar

3. Mashav

Mashav Member

After even more testing:

With the addition of the TOW missle, Mechanical Is now a good choice for either faction.

Physics is the best choice for BE because of fission cannon.

Chem is the best choice for NF, with 3 MG slots or with 2 3 slot mls, because of 2 adv mls or 1 adv ml, HEmg and Emg.

Electrical and Bio seem a bit weak, besides the EMP nade launcher and the corrosive bio bomb which are awesome. (but along with the Nanite destabilizer the aoe doesn't hurt unbuilt walls).

If bio effect could stack I think it would be a much better tree, allowing for fast firing, low bio weapons and slow fireing High bio. Also if the bio effect could work against buildings, not all bio, maybe just a specific weapon or two, It would also help the tree alot.

As for electrical, It seems like a training tree a little bit. The entire tree focuses on accuracy and speed. Aiming most weapons usually doesn't take all that much skill, and trading damage for accuracy doesn't seem worth it for anything more then a true beginner. I would suggest making elec one of the faster and cheaper trees. Also, rail cannon sucks, and electrical arty should be rapid fire.

Once again, keep up the good work!

4. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Electrical should be a 3 shell burst fire arty with an ~5 meter spread.

5. Drag

Drag Member

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/534848/Research/Emp_Scripttest3.zip

3rd updated version, shortened research times again and much more.

@Mashav: Railgun should be unnerfed a lot. It hits harder now and is less spam. Elec arty is very precise at the moment, maybe I'll make it salvo as suggested later. I'm not sure about the tree as a whole, advanced guided missiles isn't exactly a weak weapon, same for homing missile launchers that easilly kill off jeeps and lighter tanks.

Test today.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

No real result from testing cause people wont understand that tankwars and fast ending games dont help to test weapons.

7. Drag

Drag Member

I've had quite some results, although I'm not sure anymore this tree and weapon combinations will do empires much good.

8. Cad

Cad Member

come on drag, don't just give up... empires needs new things... maybe it's not perfect but it still beats the old system (with some tweaking)

9. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

Hey Drag, what do you use to show visualization of your research stuff?

10. Sandbag

Sandbag Member

The new tree looks amazing.

11. spellman23

spellman23 Member

Q: will we be having play sessions to try these out against other players?

12. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

<filler>

13. Drag

Drag Member

You mean the crappy pictures? Inkscape. Or you mean notepad++ for script editing?

14. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

I was amazed that there was more griefing in a test server full of "vets" than in all the other public games I've witnessed together since 2.24

Also 5 people talking and shouting in alltalk at the same time didn't help.. I only received distorted noise over half of the time people were talking. Couldn't hear anything they said.

Also tank wars or "simulated balanced game" ain't going to tell anything about the script balance at all. Tank wars tells you how impossible-to-research-in-a-real-game-situation tanks work in tank wars only and being restricted from rushing only tells how the research and tanks work in an unreal stalemate situation.

Only real game situation tells how it plays and when real game actually happened, either team griefed and then whined about how researching, for example, artillery in money ain't testing. I think it tests the artillery pretty well, don't you think?

I have to say I'm amazed how people can't see that you're not going to get any idea of how the scripts work in a real game situation if you create the situation as unreal as possible.

But I liked the weapons more than the present ones.

I'd like to be in testing where real gameplay happens instead of stupid created situations where real gameplay, like rushing or gaining ground is considered griefing and winning or losing the game is forbidden.

Also, there were too much people that didn't have the scripts in the first place.

15. Jessiah

Jessiah Member

Tankwars lets you test the weapons.

16. Beerdude26

Beerdude26 OnThink(){ IsDownYet(); }

But around 95% of the time, people will not test out the general tactic they'd like to try out; they just search for the best weapon a tier can give you and try to use that all the time and compare the fields to see which weapon has the highest DOT in a one-on-one fight.

17. [PRKL] Werihukka

[PRKL] Werihukka Member

No, it lets you try the weapons. In a real game you don't have all the research. You can't customize your tank in a way they are customized in tankwars.

So, yes, weapons were somewhat tested in a created situation, where the weapons were only tested (with unresearchable combinations of weapons, armor and engines) against other tanks, whereas in real game they'd be tested against infantry and buildings, too. Again, tankwars is a created situation, where attacking enemy base is considered griefing.

That doesn't test the scripts for what they are created for now does it? Unless I'm mistaken and these scripts are actually for tankwars only.

I'm just pointing this out because I didn't get a clue what-so-ever how these scripts actually work in game and I thought it was supposed to be for testing purposes, meh.

Also, in tankwars many weapons were left untested because when people realized "the best" weapon for heavy tanks vs heavy tanks they used that.. I tried to test light tanks and apc's, but it was just impossible because of so many uberheavytanks raping with uberweapons. I doupt there's a testing value for that.

Therefore I request a real game test for the scripts. I really liked how the weapons worked, but I'd like to really test them instead of just trying them.

I hope a little criticism doesn't hurt anyone.

18. PatPeter

PatPeter I have no idea what I am talking about

Drag have you compiled a list of all the bugs somewhere? I have a few that I can think of and I can still test again, but I do not want to re-post anything.

19. -=SIP=-

-=SIP=- Member

One general question about these scripts:
    Should they replace the current research tree or is this just a test for new weapons?

20. Mashav

Mashav Member

I'm fairly sure its a replacement. Besides the fact its all already in a new tree, if all of the weapons were put into the new tree, it would be overly convoluted and half of them would never get researched.

I would honestly like it to be something like:

Code:
               Chemistry
    Physics     |      Biology
            \          / 

/           \   
    Electrical  |     Mechanical           
             Engineering

Chemical Weapons Tier 1
    Chemical Engine Tier 1           |            Chemical Armour Tier 1
                           \                      / 
                                  Chemistry 

|             
                            Chemistry Tier 1 Package

Essentially, I would like there to be multiple tiers of armours and engines along with weapons. Depending on the final number of tiers (hopefully 3 or 5) the armours get better and more separate. Tier 1 for armour would be like standard, but with a general boost all around and + in the trees specialty(sort of like tier 1 chem gets +10% all around and -5% cost and weight, tier 2 chem gets +15% all around and -10% cost and weight). Middle tier (Tier 2 or Tier 3 depending on max tiers) would be the same engine and armour that it is now.

Getting into a tree would take about 30 seconds and 150 res, so you could cross trees easily. The first level researches of anything would be cheap fast and not all that different from standard.

Getting the Package would unlock the weapons, engine and armour for that trees tier, and save about 30% of the money and time of researching them all independently.

But then again there's alot of things I'd like from empires...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.