Prospective Post to the Forums

Discussion in 'Archive' started by knighttemplar, May 26, 2008.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

I've written up a post to be made on the forums about the shape and progress of empires development. this is actually a project which has been ongoing for a couple of weeks. it took a while because we wanted to get it right and because I've been really busy. if you see something you think should be changed let me know.

The Latest in Empires News!

As many of those who follow closely may know, Empires is running a bit differently these days. Krenzo has gone to focus on other aspects of his life like college and earning his way there. He's still hanging around here occasionally though, it's just not an everyday thing for him anymore. In his place a lot of the older dev team and some community members have filled some of the void.

FalconX is providing overall guidance to us all, for all aspects of development. He's in charge. Dizzyone is scripting away, he's also in charge of porting Empires over to the My Little Pony engine. Doggeti and Don Megel are working on Artwork and Angry is working on Sound. Coding support is coming from Mootant, Razorbud, Reef, Chahk and Kylegar. If you're a mapper you'll want to talk to Arklansman, who is in charge of that department. I myself am working on community and public relations, so posts like this are partly my responsibility.

Empires 2.2 is well on its way. Testers are currently working with RC#2 and much work has gone into testing it thoroughly. Silk has been very helpful in working on emp_arid, a great new map which we are currently testing

Here's a sneak peak at a new feature in Empires 2.2. I hope you're able to figure out what it is.
    [​IMG]

[make sure to let me know what you think, esp about the dev team part, I don't want to leave anyone out.]

2. Nitrax

Nitrax Member

Perhaps add a list of *some* of the expected changes/improvements? As while remote recycling is nifty, it's not going to matter as much to pubbers or ex-players who are looking to see if it's worth while coming back to the mod.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. Doggeti

Doggeti Former Developer

I would replace "My Little Pony" with Orange Box.

4. theotherjms

theotherjms Developer

Post an update to the front page.

5. Reef

Reef Member

Tires make more fun sounds in 2.2 when breaking

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

if someone has a list of New features then feel free to list it.
    I'd love to know if orangebox code helps increase player count.

I'm thinking that this won't be a release which brings over a ton of people. it's a small change really, it just requires a lot of work

7. Reef

Reef Member

OB sdk has networking code and some particles (?) code moved to other threads, so it should better split between CPUs. For now You can have 4 cores and srcds used only one. In 2.2 it will no longer be the issue, so the game could run faster or get more players. That's what I know, but don't ask me questions, I don't know any specific data.

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Ya know dude, it might even work if you list a/the major bug(s) - if you include something like "vehicles are a bitch right now to control, so that's an issue that's being adressed" or somesuch...at least, if you want a list out there of what's being worked on, you don't have to say what's going in, you can always try what's getting fixed.

Anyway, I think it's good..."no news is good news" does not apply here ^^

9. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

ANY POST would be good, do it up; and keep adding one every week.

10. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Unless anyone adds anything constructive here I'm posting this tomorrow.

11. The Buttery Lobster

The Buttery Lobster Drama Queen.

If you keep the my little pony thing in, i highly encourage the added jpg that dizzy crafted, for extra luls. The rainbow gun is a must-have. It looks great, though, other then that. The only other thing I can think of is what JMS Beta said; rephrase it a little bit for people who aren't on the forums, then post it on empiresmod.com, if possible.

12. Chahk

Chahk Member

You might want to specify what exactly version 2.2 is supposed to be (straight OB port with bug fixes and some minor features added). Not sure if you want to mention any of the "post 2.2" efforts at this point, since we ourselves have only a vague idea. Maybe just a blurb that work will continue along Krenzo's vision, or something to that extent.

13. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

2.2 is 2.2, nothing changed, it's the same 2.2 it was, it just needs to be released.

I can't believe anyone can say that we don't even know, I've said it over a dozen times, does anyone ever read my posts?

2.2 = what its now, it will be released when the severe bug is fixed, the only reason its not released is because theres still a severe bug in it, nobody is working on 2.2 except mootant who is working on fixing the bug. If other people do work on it, its because they're fixing the bug.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  14. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

This is just a forum post for those haters who are all newson2.2olo? It's not front page stuff.

15. Reef

Reef Member

Me and Razorbud are working on bugs too.

16. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Could one of the bugfixers sort this one out? http://www.empiresmod.com/bug_tracker/view.php?id=929

It has been preventing me from making a new emp_duststorm minimap since 1.08 RC testing. Of course, the visual effects of this bug are harder to notice in the OB engine due to water shader changes that make it completely clear from above, but it still needs fixing, so it will look right when the water materials get updated.

17. decemberscalm

decemberscalm Member

Oh my god O.O. When the hell did Krenzo leave? That was out of nowhere. Anyways, I'm happy never the less Empires has such a dedicated community ^,^; Good luck evryone with all the change.

18. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

Ok well I guess this is the perfect place to say that :rolleyes:

I couldn't care less though tbh.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

click the linkie and discuss :P

20. bitchslap

bitchslap Member

this is a bug?? out of all the minimaps, duststorm's is one of the most useful.

what are you going to fix by redoing it ?