Promoting Empires

Discussion in 'General' started by Tama, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl right now because of some random anonymous thread on 8chan that seems to indicate an influx of new players. The stats page makes me think tonight might break the record since 2013 :)

I think it's important for all of us to do our best to help this wave spread now; Empires has been dead far too long, simply because we've never had enough players online to attract more players. So please, now is the time to tell your friends about your favourite FPS-RTS, using whatever mediums you have available.

I've already been flamed on that thread for being a "shill", which is a reminder that there's little point trying to reach strangers as a dev; what counts is your testimony to your friends who know you, and will trust you enough to download and try out a new game.

2. Foohman

Foohman Member

Oh god, I think I might re-install then.

3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

The forums being pretty dead compared to the old ones is a telling factor - Empires has a little boost from a bunch of new players, but getting the old players back who will spend a lot of time playing and making new players better by example should also be looked into.

4. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Posting on /V Rn, wish me luck!!

5. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

In a sense, I think there needs to be an educational server where vets who wont bitch them out can play. We all know how these "revival" waves go.

New people join
    New people try to play, learning as they go
    Vets bitch them out
    New players whine, continue to do bad, some getting slightly better
    Vets rage at newbies
    New players quit

Happens every year. Without a proper tutorial, this wave of "newbies" isn't going to be much use.

Edit: While were at it, lets post to 4chan, reddit etc!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I dunno, I feel like the new players who get better stick around for quite a while. Not everyone is going to stick around to put 1000 hours in though, you can't really expect that from any one.

Also it's usually considered poor form to make a new thread about something when the old thread is still alive acolyte, I think that's a big reason there's a ton of flaming in that thread you made. Didn't hurt nothing though.

8. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Sorry, i was going to delete it, then i thought "any publicity is good publicity" yeah... it'll probably die after tonight and the better thread can take over again...

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

people got mad because its obvious you dont visit the site and people are elitist

e: also these sites suck so its fine they get mad

10. Sorta

Sorta Member

Downloaded this tonight because of the thread. At what time are the servers not ded?

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

the stats page tells you when people are playing http://steamcharts.com/app/17740 its mostly populated on weekends. it can be populated during the weekdays (afternoon to evening eastern time)
    yeah thats pretty much my opinion

12. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

welcome and
    welcome
    no worries, thats mutual, its just empires' picture board is the game (and suggestion forum). i wonder how long the long time players manage to keep their calm because
    "omg those newbies are retarded they dont know nothing" (no kidding, how are they supposed to) also make sure to buy a flame proof coat before you even think about entering the CV.
    but nothing is personal, its only a way of stress relieve. ive yet to play a game that pushes my adrenaline levels as far as empires managed to.

enjoy it, its a great game. and contrary to how the above may sound, people usually are very helpful if you ask for directions

13. FN198

FN198 Member

The shitposters on that board are next level. Do they do that to each thread or is it just with smaller games like this?

14. Acolyte

Acolyte Member

Weekends, peak times are 1-3pm EST on sat and sun as well as 7-11/12pm all weekend. 40+ people

15. PwnedYoAss

PwnedYoAss Member

Well, I mean we can totally get Mr. Die to do more interviews. I'm sure he's still game.

16. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Empires needs just a tiny push. Like a PUG being organized to remind all the old players it's still alive.

Yesterday's games were so fucking funny though. Two teams, almost all of them with [?] as their avatar, running at each other and completely falling over. People should get less angry at all the new retards and just laugh at them in spectator. Eventually some will stay in turn into regular regards like us.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you should help and not laugh at newbies. the faster they know their way around, the higher the chance they stay.