Problem with VIPER Server-HELP Plz

Discussion in 'Support' started by vipervicki, Feb 21, 2009.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I hope someone can help.
    We updated VIPER server after the steam orange box update last night Feb 20th.
    In server console we get this error
    "steamservice.cpp (275) assertion failed: failed to start in process steam service"

in client console we get invalid steam key size. We did complete install of tf2 and empires. and still get that error in server console. and when we test tf2 by itself without empires we get that error.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can fix this?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

If TF2 doesn't work, then steam support is probably the place to be.

3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I am looking there but can't find a thing about that error so far. but I am still searching.

Thanx

4. Metal Smith

Metal Smith Member

Judging from the other articles I've found, it might be a firewall issue or bad files.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=59&t=qanda#8032-OFHC-1324

Not an exact match, but it's a start.

I've found a couple of articles calling this a Precondition Assertion Error, try checking that in google.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thanks for your help :)
    I am not sure that is the same error as what we are getting on the server's console, but may be since I cannot find the error exactly. I will show this to my tech guy who I rent the server from. This has us both baffled. In fact he updated his other tf2 servers and he got same error in server console as in mine. I put in a steam support ticket, but who knows when I will get an answer. so VIPER server may be down for a while :(

I appreciate your time and effort.

6. [lodw]keef

[lodw]keef Hobbit

try restarting steam on the server
    they updated steam and alot of people and servers have to restart to get their games to work with other clients properly

7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thanx for your repsonse.
    He rebooted whole server not just mine, and it didn't help, steam doesn't run on the server we use hldsupdate

I did find a few posts on another forum about the same error on server console for orange box games since update. I put in a steam support ticket, I jsut hope they answer soon.