Possible fix to the "different class tables" error

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hypnos, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Hypnos

Hypnos Member

The other day, I re-downloaded Empires onto my new hard-drive. I simply downloaded the Empires Version 2.2 Client Full Install and joined a server and to my displeasure, I got the "Server uses different class tables" error message. I switched through most of the servers and only one worked and it was quite "laggy." Anyways, I came here and downloaded and installed the Microsoft files which was listed in a link in another thread. That didn't work. When all hope seemed to be lost, I followed the instructions on the Empires download page and it worked:

1. First, stop Steam if running. If you have 2.2 installed, Skip to Step 4

2. Download the 2.2 Full Installer

3. Install Empires 2.2 and read the manual.

4. Download the 2.2 -> 2.21 Patch

5. Install the Empires 2.2 -> 2.21 Patch

6. Download and Install the Empires 2.21 -> 2.22 Patch

7. Start Steam. You should see "Empires 2.21" listed in your Installed games list. Double click this to start Empires and begin playing.

I followed the instructions and now it works perfectly. So, this should work for at least a few of you who are receiving this error. :D

2. Coffeeburrito

Coffeeburrito Coder

That made me chuckle.

3. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

Wait, you have to install substantial updates to the game before you can join any servers with said updates installed?? This is revolutionary thinking.

4. PreDominance

PreDominance Member

Don't beat him down because he's now. I often wonder why patches aren't packed into the original download.

5. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I saw a 2.2 server yesterday with 8 players. It seems like there are quite a few players out there that haven't heard of the patches.

6. Roflcopter Rego

Roflcopter Rego Member

2.23 must have a fullpack. No excuse otherwise, devs.

7. Stretch

Stretch Member

Thank you for posting those clear and concise instructions, Hypnos. :)

Like many new players, I like to "jump right in" to new mods that I try, and with Empires I wasn't aware of the need to patch down from 2.2. back to 2.1, and then from 2.1 back to 2.2 again. I was experiencing the "class tables" error (and a few other in-game visual anomalies when I started my own server), and your instructions helped me fix my install and get into the game. The only thing that's a bit confusing is that when you d/l and run the 2.2 to 2.1 patch, the installer states that it is installing version 2.2.

Now that i'm playing, i've found Empires to be a fun and somewhat familiar experience for me - somewhat akin to BF2, but with some very interesting and unique twists that i'm enjoying very much.

8. Jcw87

Jcw87 Member

Huh? Wha? That's not necessary... I think you mean: