Portal!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dumpster_fox, Jul 19, 2006.

1. dumpster_fox

dumpster_fox Member

Holy crap. I'm giddy, here. A video of Portal has been released, and it looks fantastic and completely disorienting. A .mov can be found here, and a .wmv can be found here.

The article that accompanies the video is found here on IGN, and is far less interesting.

"If at first you don't succeed... You fail."

EDITUH: Found a high-res version of the video on FilePlanet, low res streaming one on YouTube here.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  2. Darg

Darg Member

Wow.. sweet. I didn't buy E1 but if this is E2 then I'm definitely getting it.

It'd add a whole new dimension (literally) to gaming. Fantastic notion, go valve.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

4. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Das ist richtig fett!

Ups, i'm so exited, that fell back to my native language.
    Wow. If I weren't that hungry for the next piece of the HL2-Story, now that game would be a reason to buy Epi2!

5. Darg

Darg Member

Well that style of portal was seen in prey but in that game they were just like doorways. In E2 they will let you shoot your own portals in walls. I can't wait :D

EDIT: Ah my mistake this isn't E2 but a seperate game entirely. It looks oddly familiar to the halflife universe though ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  6. Aldaris

Aldaris Member

The original game that this comes from is called Narbacular Drop, and I've known one of the guys on the team from the Natural-Selection forums for ages. I would link to their home page, but it's reached bandwidth limit, probably getting hammered since the release of the Portal trailer.

7. Wizzy

Wizzy Member

Yes, Portal and TF2 make Episode 2 a must buy.

I've had a LTL (Less than Legal) copy of Episode 1, and frankly, I'm glad I didn't fork money over. More content than the single player alone should justify EP2's price tag.

8. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

except portal is a lot cooler than ND

9. Angry

Angry Junior Member

ND isnt real so anythings better, portal seems like fun, especially when the release the source code for that gun.

10. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

i ment narbacular drop

11. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Wizzy I'm with you 150%. I didn't think Ep 1 was worth the $20, but now with TF2, Portal, AND Ep 2, as long as it isn't VERY expensive it's a definite buy. I've tried Prey, and it was cool, but this game seems to be a CRAZY puzzle game, more advanced then any puzzle Valve has ever made.

And guys. Those were 'training' maps right, in the trailer? It looked like they were all modeled and textured to seem like a place where you are just doing training. You know what that means.

CUSTOM MAPS WITH PORTAL! It will be so cool. Imagine importing the portal gun into GMOD! If that's possible.... all I know is, I had a blast in Prey running in a circle with 2 teleports, and shooting right in front of my face, even killing myself.

12. [RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu

[RTFM]Major_Tom_CosmicBlu Member

Well, I have also ideas with portal.
    Imagin multiplayer with that portalgun.

1. and easiest game
    like kreedz climbing:
    everyone against everyone and against the time. who will reach the exit first?
    You can only use your own portals and there are no weapons.

like 1. but you have to work together to reach the exit, because everyone can create only two portals at the same time. Creating a third will close the first one. Perhaps two teams fighting each other.

Something like deathmatch or teamdeathmatch or capture the flag or SourceForts. Maybe with weapons. Or just portal- and gravitygun [when watching the trailer, it seems, that the portalgun contains also a (weak - not strong enough to carry boxes but to carry these nice sentryguns) gravitygun at the same time, or am I wrong?].

13. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Looks like a lot of fun but I wish they'd get away from the half-life universe. This game could easily have been something unique =/

14. Darg

Darg Member

My sentiments exactly. It is time they try something unusual with the technology they have.

EDIT: More unusual ;)

15. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I wish they could have at least taken out the sounds that the HL 2 turrets make, and the little "Beep beep beep. I found you!" thing.

16. ^Dee^

yea, I found that rather odd too but it is still set in the HL universe so maybe there's some reason to it.

17. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

i liked the cartoons. I think i said earlier that i would never buy TF2, I'm guess i'm being forced to now. I won't complain too much if the price is right.

18. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

Lol wouldn't that just be grand if the price were set at $60? I have to say, I probably won't buy it at that price.

19. ^Dee^

£30 is the highest I'd go for it.

20. MrBojangl3s

MrBojangl3s Member

I did a Google convert, and you'd pay $55? Wow, I wouldn't even pay that much. TF2 seems ok, but I don't really want to pay money for it, and Ep 2 doesn't seem THAT awesome, and Portal... well, it's basically just a bunch of rooms with puzzles. If Portal was $15, I'd buy it.