PlayStation 4 - Let Us Discuss

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantrithor, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

The successor to the PS3 is going to be released later this year, what is Empiresmod's opinion of it? Will it live up to the PlayStation name? It's got a fancy new controller (with a sort of weird addition of a touch pad), x86 architecture CPU with 8 cores which = good third party developer support and potential for optimization, a step up from the ridiculously low 512 mb of ram the PS3 and 360 both boasted, and that camera you could use with GT5 to make your head turn is making a come back. That's all I know really.

In my opinion, it's a great improvement, but I am worried by that fact that the PS3 is still an extremely powerful system, and games developed for the PS4 will most likely have a PS3 port because the system is still on par with mid range gaming computers.

Might save AMD from its $2.60 share price.

2. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Console heresy on my empire forums?

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Consoles aka shit << PC

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I bought my PS3 for GTA4, then I didn't like it and sold it. Then I got another one for GT5 Prologue where I logged maybe 1000 hours on the Eigernordwand drift stage trial and managed to get top 5 in the world ranking which was my greatest gaming achievement ever. Then I hardly ever played it again except for when gaming in the front room with friends but mostly like worms, arcade platform reboots, etc - I bought some of the AAA titles / exclusives but really all AAA's suck now. I still think its a pretty slick platform as a media center, to do some streaming when everyone is getting drunk and stuff but I don't think there is anything about the PS4 that excites me to buy it.

Maybe there will be one killer game and I will get it for that but the new MGS is coming out on the PS3 so I don't see it happening for a long time - maybe if Polyphony digital come out with GT6 I might - but at that point I will seriously consider just spending a little more money on my PC to get a proper sim driving rig.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Quit it. Consoles have a serious impact on the PC gaming climate. It's worth discussing.

The difference between the PS3 and the PS4 is substantial. Initially, we might see CoD/Madden-class releases on both consoles, but the good stuff will be exclusive to the newer systems.

Sony isn't stupid. Good investments are worth a certain cost and consoles are a very very good investment for suppliers. AMD isn't going under because of this deal, but it won't bring them to super mega financial stability.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  6. alucard13mmfmj

alucard13mmfmj Member

I have not owned a console since N64.

7. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

The only good reason for owning a console is Red Dead Redemption.

8. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Well that's true for any transitory period between console generations, but it does seem that PS3 ports won't be the quick & dirty cash-in crap they pulled with previous generations. Not to mention games like Destiny & Final Fantasy XIV that were built with current gen in mind; I doubt the developers will actually throw away all that work

As for the PS4, I personally like the share feature they are touting, being able to record video on the fly is pretty sweet. Some games on the PS3 had a built in record feature but the quality was crap. Personally I hope it ships with a mic or something, playing online can get pretty dull on the PS3.

9. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

The only thing I care about is the architecture change so porting will be less shit. I'd get a console if there were actually good exclusives on them. But there aren't any, so fuck that. As for AMD, I hope they drag themselves out of the pit they dug themselves. I like AMD and I'd rather not see Intel having monopoly on CPUs.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Never said they don't, but I consider said impact mostly negative. Yay for bad ports and catering to amerifags who can't put together a PC.

The one redeeming factor is that they are cheaper than an actual gaming platform, but also have way less possible functionalities.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

for all but racing, flying, sports and a few casual games a joypad is a horribad input device.

i challenge everyone who disagrees to a round of BF3 you can use xbox controller on pc there as you would on a console - only difference will be that you could have nice >1080p >30fps FSAA gfx, so thats actually only an advantage in such challenge.

12. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I wish I had more time to play on consoles but I don't. Sometimes a controller is nicer, especially for third person games.

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

AMD is moving out of x86 in the server market because their FX CPUs suck. They are going to be an ARM licensee once ARM gets A57 and A53 ready.

I would be surprised if their client x86 stuff went shortly after. Just pray that Kaveri makes it out before AMD quits x86. That will keep Intel's IGP on its toes into 14nm.

14. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

What? Do you even know where silicon valley is? It would be great if you actually had a proper argument in this thread and didn't run your mouth like an idiot making the rest of us PC gamers look like a bunch of Kansas City faggots.

15. Pope_Homeless_XIII

Pope_Homeless_XIII Member

Actually I would consider it a fair fight with modern shooters, provided a controller user ups the turn speed & exploits the fact that iron sight slows down your turn speed. Now if you're talking an old school fast paced arena shooter with bunny hopping & rocket jumping then you have a point.

16. BloodRaven

BloodRaven Member

It's going to be better than the joke that Nintendo released.

God damnit Iwata.

I have seriously lost all faith in them.

I love my PS3, though I dont feel like they let the PS3 out long enough Before making its successor. Consoles are starting to feel like CoD games. Rush to get them out, fuck knows if its going to be any good. (I have high hopes though)

But personally I prefer my gaming rig over any console.

17. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Not releasing a PS4 around the Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) time would be commercial suicide.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

do you own bf3 and a xbox controller? id love to try ...

19. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I think generally Single & Online Multiplayer gaming belongs to PCs now, with the demise of the awesome franchise exclusives. There are still decent single player console games but they are all on the PC.

Consoles are now all about IRL multiplayer games and being a media center replacement now, for me at least. I don't think there will ever be a day where consoles offer a better online multiplayer or single player experience than a PC now. Back in the day PC cross-overs were all buggy and shit but not anymore.

20. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Same, for me consoles are for bringing the bros over and Netflix or DVD/Blu-Ray players. I'll disagree with you though on your point about single player being better on PC, especially (A)RPGs.