Plating Rework

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Alceister, May 9, 2009.

1. Alceister

Alceister Member

Plating

Now, plating works basically as an extra shell of hp. As a consequence, vehicles in Empires are extremely difficult to kill: all a player has to do is keep a plated side pointed toward the enemy and he is home and dry. At sufficient range, all the vehicle has to do is keep moving, or keep turning to face different plates at the enemy and when he's down enough he simply retreats to repair.

This turns medium and long-range vehicle combat into inconclusive slugfests, and for infantry, it can be a nearly insurmountable task to kill ANY vehicle.

Here's another idea: Instead of acting as an extra shell of hp, how about if plating acts more like an armour integral to the vehicle? That is, instead of absorbing all the damage, it absorbs a percentage amount of damage and the rest goes through to the hull of the vehicle?

Here's how it works:

Lets say we have an APC with two plates of reactive on one side. Now since reactive is a strong but heavy armour, those two plates will absorb about 30% of the damage received by the vehicle, and the rest will go right through. To compensate for weakening plate, APC will receive a boost in hull strength by default, and another boost depending on what armour type is applied. Also, plates will probably be somewhat stronger too.

If the vehicle loses a plate, it loses the reduction the plate gave. So if the APC lost one of the reactive plates reduction would go down to 15%. If it loses all of its plates on one side, it receives full damage from enemy fire.

The advantages of this idea is that no matter where a vehicle is hit, it will feel the pain. LTs joyriding through an enemy base have to be wary since while plating will reduce damage, it is prudent to not stay too long, having a jolly time.

In addition, as reduction is dependent per plate, we can add an extra dimension toward plate armour design. One type may provide a good bonus in hull strength and be quite durable, but relatively poor reduction against high velocity cannon projectiles, while another may be excellent at reducing damage from all sources, but is extremely weak and offers few hull bonuses.

The disadvantages may be doozies though. For one it radically alters game design. Not just vehicle armour, but vehicle weapons, engines, infantry weapons, even maps. It will require a lot of time to put in, fully test this idea out and see if it's balanceable.

While it may almost certainly help infantry to some extent, the effects are somewhat unpredictable, and it may become even more difficult to balance than the current system. Even I feel uneasy about this idea. Perhaps KISS is in order? So Plan B...

Look below.

-----

Here's a kosher idea if you think the above is too extreme: vehicle plating leaks through a lesser amount of damage than specified in my above suggestion. That is, plating will continue to absorb most of the damage (perhaps 90%-ish throughout, could be flat, could vary per plating type) but hulls will still take a little damage. Losing all the plate armour on one side will again expose the vehicle to full damage, but losing one or more plates will have no significant effect on reduction.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  2. thetim

thetim Member

This would have quite an impact on gameplay. I like the idea because tanks would no longer be invincible until the point where all their armour was gone. It would certainly change the balance of the game; the question is, would the game be better for it?

/It will require a lot of time to put in, fully test this idea out and see if it's balanceable. / +1 agree - though it would be interesting to find out.

3. Jonat

Jonat Member

This would mean either the armour stands as a resistance value on whatever side it's being attacked on (which is what i favour) OR as the fight goes out the resistance drops until the armour is gone and there is no resistance.

The first means tanks are still armoured constantly and take damage over time, whereas the later concept the tank takes more damage over time.

It would certainly be interesting to experiment with.

4. Vessboy

Vessboy Member

I'd rather it be it's own armor type.

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would like this idea... much testing would be needed yes but, I think it would put an end to super tanks that have drivers who just rotate sides while pounding you.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun Member

I liek my ideas better.

7. Skyrage

Skyrage Member