Plasma Cannon

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Revolver, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Revolver

Revolver Member

I was thinking about the plasma cannon earlier in terms of it's usefulness. As of current it's a bit weak compared to it's machinegun brother as the MG will heat your tank much faster than the cannon will, and it'll heat yourself a lot less than the cannon would.

So perhaps, instead of just rebalancing it- giving it a new function. And maybe a bit of an art makeover. As of current it has a different firing sound than the other cannons, but same model and all that. Why not instead, when firing it- it looking like a normal shell but a fireball? It is, essentially that. And perhaps a lingering fire affect to the ground. Set heat traps with it, allowing you to be considerably less accurate and even defensive.

Another use would be it would be the king of anti-infantry cannons. It may not be a precise as a machinegun, or as daunting as three chainguns on an APC. But it'll allow one to be less accurate, and greatly discourage (and obscure their view) of grenadiers. Not to mention look cool.

In short- Plasma Cannon = Fireball? [Author's D&D Inside Joke: for 12d6 +20 dmg, reflex for half as a 12th level Sorceror?]

2. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

Cool, though make it a blue fireball.

3. AnRK

AnRK Member

yeah it would be nice to have tangible visuals for all the weapons

the overheating tank thing seems a bit simplistic at the moment though and i personally think it needs a bit more detail adding to it

its cool that weapons overheat but it doesnt make sense that you can rambo with your mounted mg then not be able to use your main turret as they havent got anything to do with each other as far as cooling is concerned

4. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

I sugested this in the "nerfing Plasma" thread:

1) Decrease the heat damage on the enemy tank significantly
    2) Implement slight burn damage for infantry and tanks (Tank armor would sizzle away for a bout 1 second or so, same with infantry, infantry hit would get a slight burning sensation)
    3) Increase the heat output generated by plasma

5. dizzyone

dizzyone I've been drinking, heavily

The cannon causes a lot more heat than the mg and in the end the mg will overheat yourself a lot more than the cannon because you need to shoot constantly. Its not very usefull on a lot of tanks but I can see situations where I would rather want to go for a plasma cannon than the mg.

I thought you were the one with the odd setup where you had a nuke, a ap mg and a plasma cannon.

6. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Member

Major armour pwnage there

7. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

If you are talking about me its: Nuke, Plasma MG, HE cannon

8. MOOtant

MOOtant Member

Plasma mg heat ouput is very very low. You can safely overheat enemy by shooting for 10-15 seconds and you'll have a lot of "heat space" to finish him.

9. dizzyone

yeh but this isnt without you getting shot a lot more often if he has coolant he will dissipate the heat very fast aswell making you have to shoot a lot longer to actually keep him overheated, while if you had the cannon, you could quickly up his heat in only 3 - 4 shots, and keep him overheated by shooting one while shooting a missile aswell. If you do it well the tank will go down in 10 - 30 seconds before him being able to respond

10. Shinzon

Shinzon Member

Plasma is still to great even if the enemy tank has coolant and cooling skill... And if the tank fires back anything short of a nuke or a bio missle... He will just overheat faster

11. zachtos

zachtos Member

Plasma cannon needs a stimp one way or another, it really is not great against tank to tank combat. Perhaps let's make this a one slot cannon instead. Now this is a formidable and desirable to research weapon.

12. ^Dee^

^Dee^ Former Super Moderator

Do plasma cannons do any damage to tanks or do they just overheat them?

13. dizzyone

they do half the damage a railgun does, very minimum

14. HungryGuy

HungryGuy Member

It should do EMP damage, you know, overload the controlls. Or melt armour.

15. Revolver

Revolver Member

I was the odd one with the weid setup. Nuke, Plasma Cannon, AP MG. It's not quite as effective at range as your Plasma MG was, but it's meant to get to mid-nuke-cannon-APMG. Not PlasmaMG->Nuke->OhnoesHECannon.

I really think that it just needs to be a bit rebalanced. The Plasma cannon needs more cool into it to make it worth the sucktastic parts.