Photo thread - Photos of stuff from where you are

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

A lot of people are always pretty interested to see some of the pics I've taken out here in the UAE, both of the city, desert, where I work, etc. At the same time, I've seen a few awesome pics around the forums that other people have taken of where they live and the surrounding areas. So yeah, post pics and shit.

As a few of you know, I got the greatest phone in the world back in November, the Nokia Lumia 920. Since then, I've started taking pics. I'm not going to flood the thread because I want other people to post some in, but I'll throw them up here as more people put their own up. At the moment I'm working in the United Arab Emirates. Most people know this as "Dubai", but Dubai is one "Emirate" (which is like a state) out of 7. It's also the main part of the city in there. I'm working further up North in a place called Ras Al Khaimah, near the border of one part of Oman (Oman is split in 2). Anyway, pics:

[​IMG]

That's the main Dubai skyline. I took that whilst in the car driving out of Dubai. You can see the big-ass Burj there, which is the tallest building in the world. I haven't gone up it because apparently it's a bit shitty.

[​IMG]

I missed the worst of it, but this was a sandstorm moving away from where I work. They're not that common, nor are they even close to being as ridiculous as they are in Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, but they're still pretty annoying if you're outside.

[​IMG]

This was a panorama I took from the beach in front of where my apartment is over here. I live in the far left apartment block. As you can see, it's pretty underdeveloped on the beach. In this area, it's really a world apart from Dubai. There's very little infrastructure and the main city looks more like something you're seeing in your pictures of Syria (minus bullet holes and explosions). This is a really western area, almost an enclave. There's a golf course and shit, and it's really separated from everything else.

If anyone has any way that isn't imageshack of rehosting the images to a reasonable size, where they become a hyperlink to a the original image, without doing it all manually, then let me know, because direct linking like this is going to stretch shit out too much.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

That panorama is kickass. Do you have any night time sky line shots? Let's see that camera work for it's money (and I know like nothing about dubai or w/e).

3. Trickster

It's difficult because, generally speaking, Dubai is always super bright. I have some pics I took at night but I doubt the camera is really having to work hard for the shots, there's just that much light. The problem tends to be that it tries to take a low light pic, but the close up lights throw off the exposure, or rather, the close up lights look like there's a sun 2 metres from my face, even though they're not that bright. Case in point:

[​IMG]

That was taken at Dubai Marina a few days ago. That's about as close to a night skyline as I can get. There's a tiny chance that, if I remember, I can take one through the window of the plane when I take off Wednesday night. But chances are the glass will fuck it up.

[​IMG]

This is probably one of the truest low-light ones I can find. Sun was producing very little light at this point so it was pretty dark, a lot more-so than that photo makes it seem, which I guess is the point. I took that about 6 weeks ago from my apartment balcony.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. ImSpartacus

That's hawt.

Oh and imma come rape you now that I know where you live. I hope your body is ready.

6. Mahtipakarat

Mahtipakarat Member

lol'd at nub whose ie6 cant turn big pictures into thumbnails automatically.

also i'll edit my post to include some pics soon.

7. Trickster

Yeah, I don't want to shrink the images, I just want to thumbnail them, but not shitty 100x100 thumbnails. Like 1000px across or something.

8. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

9. ImSpartacus

Could we have spoiler tags? I don't mean just any spoiler tags and definitely not the bullshit rollover tags. We need tags like the ones in my sig. It works double duty hiding stuff and also compresses long posts (or big images!).

10. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

What the fuck is this Spartacus?
    Who are these people?
    Why are they playing console games?
    Why are YOU playing console games?

11. ImSpartacus

I'm Spartacus.
    The Maw was the name of the Bungie Forum for Halo PC (named after the last level of Halo 1). By the time Halo 2 PC came out, Bungie had renamed their forum section less creatively, but the name stuck and the last remotely alive Halo PC clan is called the Maw.

It's a shame that the community wound down, but I really enjoyed how those forums were organized and I think Empires could benefit from Spoiler tags. If nothing else, it would shrink signatures.

12. Trickster

Fooshi lives in Chernarus.

13. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

make an album on imgur.com

when you link to the album people have a nice list of pictures that are medium sized, one click on them makes the pic 70% your individual the screen size, a hover to the upper right border gives you options to download the real size of the picture.
    That's what I'd use, if I had a proper mobile / camera.

You can even embed the album (just not on empires forums)

Your panorama shots have the downside, that everything on the far right looks wonky. When you first posted the hotel buildings picture some time ago I really believed that one of those hotels/apartment buildings was just very badly build and had sunken into the ground on one side :headshot:

Still interesting pics :)

14. Trickster

I'd prefer to have it embedded in the forum somehow. Thumbnails can't be that hard. Imageshack does it, just really shittily.

15. ImSpartacus

Spoiler tags are better because they provide a "thumbnail" for everything, not just images. Your sig can hold a lot more character if you can hide it (and you should hide it most of the time; we know each others' sigs). If I'm writing a guide, I'd love to compress individual sections so I don't have to do a table of contents. And of course, posts with a lot of images become much more manageable.

16. communism

communism poof

wil dey let u bak in urope aftr u go to dubi to trane for terrorizm?

17. WalMartGreeter

WalMartGreeter Member

Don't worry, the latest white papers on the U.S. drone program allows us to shoot Hellfire missiles at Tricky for simply being in Dubai.

18. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

There are always people with some weird connections in this game. Too bad I've killed almost every clan / server I got slightly attached to outside of Empires (and in) so you'll never be able to trace my footsteps.

19. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Rescale or GTFO!

20. REX

REX Member